The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 28, 2017, 05:39 AM   #1
tony pasley

Securing guns during a disaster

How do you secure your weapons during a natural disaster? Prayers for those in East Texas. This disaster should give us time to think of how do we protect what have from the weather and possible looter after.
Old August 28, 2017, 06:10 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A good gun safe is about as much protection as you're likely to get for protection against looters, but gun safes aren't waterproof. The only protection against flooding is to take the guns with you to high ground.
Old August 28, 2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Don P

^^^^^^^ What he said. I packed up all the guns and ammo when Mathew hit FLA
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 28, 2017, 09:02 AM   #4
FITASC

Depending on the severity of the storm, you can also hunker down in place with them. Time to either update your homeowner's or secure a second policy for them.

If I had to evacuate, there is no way I could pack up all of my guns AND my ammo - not without a majorly big Ryder truck; so it would mean grab 1 or 2 for the evacuation, lock the safe and get out. They are only things and can be replaced.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 28, 2017, 09:51 AM   #5
kenny53

"A good gun safe is about as much protection as you're likely to get for protection against looters, but gun safes aren't waterproof. The only protection against flooding is to take the guns with you to high ground."
^^^^^^^^^
What he said.
Old August 28, 2017, 10:23 AM   #6
kraigwy

I live at 4500 feet so flooding is not a problem. Even flash floods, which do pop up every now and then are directed away from my house buy the lay out and some dirt works.

Heavy snow storms happen but wont effect my shop where the gun safes are,

That leaves fires. Grass fires pass quickly and wont exceed the fire limits of the safes. The safes are set in such an are that the wouldn't shop, if burned, will fall away or burn leaving the safe's in tack.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 28, 2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Doyle

An old high-school buddy of mine is in Houston. The bottom floor of their house is flooded now for the 2nd time in a year. 8 months or so ago, there was 2 ft of standing water in their 1st floor. This time, they moved all the furniture up to the 2nd floor ahead of time. You can't move a true gun safe up to the 2nd floor but you can move up all the firearms. If you have to abandon the house while flooded and you can't take them with you, next best choice would be to stash them in the roof crawl space.
Old August 28, 2017, 11:58 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

If you have a few:
Take them all.
Run away.

If there are many:
Take what's important.
Lock the safe(s).
Run away.
And hope for the best.

If you're "sheltering in place" ... adapt as the situation changes.

I lived through, or evacuated for, multiple hurricanes in Florida, and many more tropical storms in Florida and North Carolina. It never really gets easier leaving so much behind, but you sure do get a better grip on what "things" are important to you when all that you can take is what you can fit in the cab of a truck or the trunk of a car .... or a backpack.

Many times, I was "volunteered" to evacuate with our helicopters, simply because I was single -- even though it wasn't my 'turn'. In those cases, I loaded my truck with what I couldn't take on the trip, parked it on "high" ground (in Florida ), and took with me only what could fit in a backpack. (One bag of my stuff. One bag of helicopter stuff.)
I never suffered major loss of possessions. But my poor truck sure did take a beating by sitting out in the blowing sand and salt through all those storms.
Old August 28, 2017, 12:04 PM   #9
NoSecondBest

Prepare some PVC tubing with end caps. Pick the ones really have monetary or sentimental value and seal them inside the tubing. They could float away, but if the house stays put there's a good chance the guns will survive. In the attic they would probably give you your best chance to recover them since they probably wouldn't float away. Other than taking them, that's about the best way to protect them from the elements. After you get back all you have to do is cut the end off the PVC pipe.
Old August 28, 2017, 12:05 PM   #10
mete

As a kid there was a major flood here and the gunsmith was going to be flooded . Too big and heavy to move he coated all machinery , lathes etc with a thick coating of grease .That saved the machines but I don't remember what was done with guns .I assume they were moved to higher ground.
Old August 28, 2017, 12:38 PM   #11
Dred

I'm in Houston.

My home still has power and, according to the view from the front and rear facing cameras, my home is not flooded.

The only firearm I have with me at my gf's house, 30 miles north of mine, is the Stainless Sig 938 I was carrying friday when I came to help ensure her safety/security.

Although carrying firearms with you during evacuation makes tremendous sense ... our Mayor is not a 2A champion. He has done a wonderful job establishing and providing shelters. But, weapons are banned in the shelters. This is all fine and good unless you are armed and need shelter from the elements.

This storm only appeared a couple days before we began experiencing its effects. None of us had time to process what we were facing and few of us would have believed the guy jumping out of a Delorean to warn us of 40" rainfall totals and mass flooding. Heck, I expected to have been home yesterday and working today - concern for my firearms is developing.

From my learning ... if you evacuate - 1) make sure your firearms are stored as high as possible, 2) work your network so you can hole up somewhere your firearms are welcome and appreciated, or 3) pack all the valuables and carefully carry them to safety.

Best of luck to all those facing more hazards and obstacles than myself and mine.
Old August 28, 2017, 12:42 PM   #12
FITASC

This storm hit fast; there ARE more important things in life than guns; in fact, the most important "things" in life aren't "things" to begin with.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 28, 2017, 12:51 PM   #13
JoeSixpack

Like nosecondbest said, PVC pipe should work but not all guns will fit as is, you might ave to break down the rifles.

If you had to do this in a pinch I would go and get your self some 6ml plastic at the hardware store, assuming they still have some in stock.
Wrap your safe like a present (tied at the top)

Do this with multiple layers just in case one fails.
This will only help assuming the house doesn't crash down on the safe or the water stays below the top.

You could try sealing it with expoxy but you'll surely miss a spot.

Taking them with you seems like the best option if possible.
Old August 28, 2017, 02:54 PM   #14
NoSecondBest

You can readily get PVC in 8-10" diameter at plumbing supply houses. It would be a very big gun that wouldn't fit in that diameter. It comes in even larger diameters if you look around. If you don't want to glue the ends on, use a screw in cap which is still water proof. It's also reusable that way. I actually know a couple of off-grider doom and gloomers who keep these things on hand for when the end comes.....I'm not one of them, I just know them. For flooding disasters this might be a very good idea.
Old August 28, 2017, 06:44 PM   #15
pelican

A heat seal machine for poly bags might work to keep handguns dry. You can also buy two gallon zip lock bags that are large enough to hold a sweater. This might keep handguns dry inside a safe that isn't waterproof.

ShieldPro SafeCache Gun Storage Kit

http://www.mylarbags.com/shieldpro-s...g-case-of-100/

Last edited by pelican; August 31, 2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:53 AM   #16
Skans

Quote:
You can readily get PVC in 8-10" diameter at plumbing supply houses.
Given that I had enough time, I'd seal my rifles in PVC and put them in my attic. If I couldn't do that, I'd seal them in contractor's bags and shove them way back in my attic (My attic is not easily accessible). I'd leave the hand guns and other items in double-zip-lock bags in my safe. I'd only take a few guns while I flee to high ground where I have a cabin in the mountains.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:23 PM   #17
SauerGrapes

I was thinking about this the other day. I wouldn't care about the them being ruined. I just wouldn't want someone getting them from theft.

I thought about breaking down the guns and taking the barrels and recoil springs with me. Maybe just take the firing pins and recoil springs. At least someone would have to do some work to get them running again.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old August 29, 2017, 07:43 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I thought about breaking down the guns and taking the barrels and recoil springs with me. Maybe just take the firing pins and recoil springs. At least someone would have to do some work to get them running again.
Fun theory.
Heard frequently with many variations.

The reality is that if you have to leave, it's best to leave as soon as possible.
Wasting time removing firing pins, bolts, slides, etc, is exactly that: A waste of time.

Traffic gets bad first.
Then the gas stations run out of fuel.
About then, the grocery stores are emptied.
Then the drinks and snacks go at convenience stores.
If you're short on any of the above, you're screwed.

You don't want to be stuck in that crap. Go early, and forget about the stuff that you're willing to leave behind. Trying to make theft a little bit of a headache for some one is just punishment for yourself by way of a departure delay. ...And the thief isn't going to care. If they wanted the gun, but it doesn't work, it's still free money when they dump it in a pawn shop or on the street.
Old August 29, 2017, 08:00 PM   #19
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
Given that I had enough time, I'd seal my rifles in PVC and put them in my attic. If I couldn't do that, I'd seal them in contractor's bags and shove them way back in my attic (My attic is not easily accessible). I'd leave the hand guns and other items in double-zip-lock bags in my safe. I'd only take a few guns while I flee to high ground where I have a cabin in the mountains.
One problem with the attic is the roof & windows are likely to suffer damage first, it might seems like a nice high dry place for them but some people will be coming home to no house at all

If the house is gonna blowaway it's gonna be roof first.
I suppose if you go this route put your name and address in the tube with teh gun and pray someone honest finds it.
Old August 29, 2017, 08:10 PM   #20
FITASC

Quote:
You don't want to be stuck in that crap. Go early, and forget about the stuff that you're willing to leave behind. Trying to make theft a little bit of a headache for some one is just punishment for yourself by way of a departure delay. ...And the thief isn't going to care. If they wanted the gun, but it doesn't work, it's still free money when they dump it in a pawn shop or on the street.
+1
Old August 29, 2017, 08:41 PM   #21
Shenna9220

I'm in central Florida and 90 ft above sea level. Not worried about flooding but I am running From a cat 3 or better storm. All the guns, generators, chain saws, gas and the big tractor on the trailer. Want to have what I need when I come back. If I flood that means most all the west coast of Florida in under a lot of water.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:23 PM   #22
tony pasley

25 years ago I bought a house that had a coal bin in part of the basement with a bit of work I made it into a vault. I lined the steel door and frame with conveyer belt which turned out to make it water proof. I learned this in Sept. 2004 when hurricanes Francis, Ivan, and Jean cause major flooding in Western North Carolina.
Old August 29, 2017, 11:45 PM   #23
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What I would do with my firearm? Move it to a known secure location before a historical storm event.
In MN. Blizzard Snow Storms are not a problem no matter the snow depth or wind blowing cold. Most have equipment for its quick removal cloths and boots to keep them toasty warm in such stormy conditions.
Rain /Flooding. "I can't imagine what its like to feel >overwhelmed."
Old August 30, 2017, 12:03 AM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

If your house floods, you built too close to the water.
If a hurricane bothers you, you live too close to the coast.
If tornados are a problem, you live where its too flat (or too windy)
If an earthquake hits, you live too close to a fault line.
If fires are a hazard, you live where its too dry.

SO, where to live? The scenic Pacific NW is nice, but then, you live too close to a VOLCANO!!!

The time to get things to preserve your property is not when the news says there is a storm on the way. That's the time to seal and check with the supplies you should already have on hand.

If you want what is about the ultimate in protection, and horribly inconvenient, invest in a few hundred pounds of paraffin wax, a torch and something to use as molds.

Encase your guns in solid blocks of wax (meaning melt the wax and using the mold pour it to surround your gun(s) with a few inches of wax on all sides.

This will absolutely keep water out, and since they no longer look like guns, reduces the risk of theft. Stack the wax blocks somewhere you would normally store such things, and cover them with the unused extra wax you bought in its boxes and packages, toss a tarp over them...odds are good no looter will give them a second glance. Leave the gun safe open, and empty, looters will think either you took them all with you, or somebody else got there first...

have the safe insured, incase they steal IT...

After the disaster, when your safely back home, melt the wax and get your guns back in the safe...

Time consuming and a PITA but it will protect your guns!

(and no, I don't do it Where I live fire is the only big risk, and the wax won't help with that...)
Old August 30, 2017, 03:38 AM   #25
Hal

Talk to your insurance agent.
Get a policy that covers everything. (or as much as possible)

When disaster heads your way, I'll toss my wife and the dog in the Family Truckster and head to a Holiday Inn Express in a safe place and watch the drama unfold on TV.

The guns? Probably won't make the cut.
I have medications, a couple of nebulizers, oxygen tanks & a couple oxygen concentrators that are far more important....

Oops - sorry - the topic is securing & I forgot to include that.
The guns I leave behind will be locked up in the safe. They will probably not fare well if there's much in the way of water.

Last edited by Hal; August 30, 2017 at 03:46 AM.