The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 22, 2017, 06:46 AM   #1
Mobuck

Bore Snake vs cleaning rod

First off:this isn't a request for cleaning advice or a complaint against cleaning ropes.
I have a S&W AR upper in 5.45x39 that is usually my "summer AR". Chosen for this role since I often shoot at various "stuff" over the summer and using 5.45 ammo makes scattered empty cases a non-issue.
My usual cleaning regimen is a bore rope w/CLP dragged thru occasionally and a rubber finger cot over the muzzle to preclude dust and bug entry.
Last spring, I noticed a problem with diminished accuracy to the point of not being "coyote accurate" at the ranges I expected. I set the carbine aside and put the "winter AR" back in the pickup.
This week, I've had a little time and decided my accuracy issue might be fouling related or at least I would remove that possibility. HOLY COW I've been cleaning the 5.45 bore for a week and a few passes with a Hoppes #9 soaked brush still produces black sludgy looking stuff on the next patch.
I've obviously reduced the fouling and have decided to do another accuracy test to see where I'm at. The thing is, the bore always "looked" clean after the bore rope treatment. I'm not sure how many shots went down the bore. This is a utility gun, not a bullet hose or bench rifle so I might shoot 100-125 rounds of Hornady V-Max ammo per year. I just can't remember when it was cleaned with rod, patches, and brush the last time.
Bore ropes are good but they're not the end all of bore cleaning.
Old August 22, 2017, 07:36 AM   #2
Doyle

I don't like bore snakes at all. They are only clean for the first few passes. After that, you are using a dirty rope. As to cleaning fouling, CLP and #9 are ok for only "light" cleaning in my book. If things ever get really nasty, I used a dedicated bore cleaner for carbon fouling and KG12 for copper fouling.
Old August 22, 2017, 08:27 AM   #3
zukiphile

Quote:
Bore ropes are good but they're not the end all of bore cleaning.
Indeed. I don't object to them; I have one in the range bag for longer sessions and I once used one for a 22lr break-in session. They help move some crud out of the bore. I don't like them or a brush of any kind in my soft 22lr barrels.

When you write that you still have "black sludgy looking stuff", that sounds like an unambiguous description of a very dirty bore.

People say that you should run a patch until they come out clean. I use Hoppe's #9 and I've never seen a patch come out as clean as it went in. I settle for greyish hints of rifling on a moist patch and I'm done.

A thought on diminishing accuracy - 22lr guys will scrub their chambers periodically to remove a carbon build up that is detrimental. I don't know if there is anything similar with jacketed 5.45, but if you have steel cases that let carbon into the area of the chamber, then maybe the chamber or throat are the problem, and not the bore at all.
Old August 22, 2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Bore Snakes have their place. After light shooting, a few squirts of CLP and a few passes will leave a bore reasonably clean.

Beyond that, bring out the rods and brushes.
Old August 22, 2017, 03:18 PM   #5
FITASC

If you insist on using a bore snake, do yourself a big favor and tie a piece of para cord to the loop end long enough so that when the pull string breaks off with the entire snake in your barrel, you can easily remove it by pulling it back out from the breech end.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 22, 2017, 05:26 PM   #6
jmr40

For occasional use for a "not too dirty gun" bore snakes are OK. But to really clean a dirty gun you need to do it right.

And while they don't break often, they do break and create quite the problem when they do.

Winston Churchill
Old August 22, 2017, 05:48 PM   #7
zipspyder

Use an actual bore cleaner fluid, that is what they are for. CLP is more of a preservative oil then a cleaner. You can wash bore snakes in a dishwasher or washing machine inside a sock or nylons to make them new again. Never count on a bore snake for a thorough bore cleaning but they have their places.
Old August 22, 2017, 06:24 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
You can wash bore snakes in a dishwasher or washing machine inside a sock or nylons to make them new again.
If you aren't married or worried about contamination of things with the chemicals in and on the snake. Easier is to use DAWN, hot water and either a bucket or jug to put the snake in, swirl, clean and then rinse with clean water later and hang to dry.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 22, 2017, 06:32 PM   #9
zipspyder

Quote:
If you aren't married or worried about contamination of things with the chemicals in and on the snake. Easier is to use DAWN, hot water and either a bucket or jug to put the snake in, swirl, clean and then rinse with clean water later and hang to dry.
Yup, the point is you can clean and reuse them, not just toss them.

Oh, and not married.
Old August 22, 2017, 06:34 PM   #10
agtman

Bore snakes have their place.

They work in a pinch: on the range, in the field, at hunting camp, during training classes, etc., ... whenever time is short and you just want to get the gunk outta the bore. That, along with a quick chamber swipe out, should be enough to keep your weapon shooting well.

Sure, when you've got more time to detail clean, then definitely use the traditional coated rod and brush method.
Old August 22, 2017, 07:10 PM   #11
mr bolo

if your using it on a rifle like an SKS or AK or AR15 with a chrome bore, the bore-snake is perfect for a quick light cleaning.
Old August 23, 2017, 01:03 PM   #12
ShootistPRS

Bore snakes collect all the loose stuff in your bore and not only run it all through the bore every time you use it but also abrade the crown on which ever side it rubs against when you pull it through and out the bore.
Old August 23, 2017, 01:13 PM   #13
zipspyder

Quote:
Bore snakes collect all the loose stuff in your bore and not only run it all through the bore every time you use it but also abrade the crown on which ever side it rubs against when you pull it through and out the bore.
So does a cleaning rod/wire brush going back and forth through the barrel. A good shake of the bore snake will remove any loose particles. Exactly how dirty do you think a rifle bore gets in one shoot that a quick snake cleaning would damage it?
Old August 23, 2017, 01:38 PM   #14
Dufus

Quote:
through the bore every time you use it but also abrade the crown on which ever side it rubs against when you pull it through and out the bore.
I think this is just speculation and has not been proven.

If you clean your boresnake properly and let it dry, it is as good as a new one.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Dawn in a bucket (sometimes I use Simple Green in a bucket) and they will cleanup well.

Also, the boresnake is an effective bore cleaner if you use it with the correct chemicals.....not CLP.

It is all in what you want to get out of it. Some don't care to bother with it and that is fine. What ever floats your boat.
Old August 23, 2017, 01:49 PM   #15
ShootistPRS

Bore snakes are made of plastics. Hard material gets embedded in plastic. Washing it may make it look clean but it won't get embedded particles out.
Prove it to yourself, look at your crown with a good magnifier like you would your bore.
I wonder if that's why they don't come in solid colors or white. People might only use them once.
Old August 23, 2017, 02:22 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

"...a few passes..." Quit doing that and run a solvent soaked patch(Bore snakes are more of a field expedient thing) through and leave it for a few hours. Gives the solvent time to work.
"...going back and forth through the barrel..." Shouldn't be going back and forth. One direction only.
"...CLP is..." Cleaner. Lubricant. Preservative. Lubes better than the other two.
Old August 23, 2017, 02:37 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

The main problem with a bore snake is that when (NOT IF) it gets stuck in the barrel you have a real problem. Further the soft snake will pick up abrasive material (yes, even if you shake it) where a steel rod is deliberately made hard so it won't do that, while it is still softer than the barrel.

Jim
Old August 23, 2017, 02:52 PM   #18
zipspyder

How dirty do you people let your bore snakes get???? There are many harsher ways to ruin a bore than running a cleaning snake through them at the range every now and then. That is making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm talking about the casual range shooter and hunter not the hardcore match shooters. To each their own I guess.
Old August 23, 2017, 02:52 PM   #19
Skadoosh

Quote:
The main problem with a bore snake is that when (NOT IF) it gets stuck in the barrel you have a real problem.
I have said the same thing many times in the past on this and other forums...and basically got my hiney handed to me each time for saying so.

That said, I will never ever use a bore snake again. I had a (correctly sized) bore snake BREAK OFF in a bore...at both ends of the snake...and was a real chore to remove. Cleaning chemicals break down the snake and it will eventually break while inside your bore.
Old August 23, 2017, 03:28 PM   #20
agtman

I've been through UMP-teen tactical AR training classes where many folks have used bore snakes to UN-gunk their barrels before resuming drills.

I have yet to see ONE snake break apart and jam up a barrel.

C'mon, dudenals ... don't make stuff up.

Yeah, it's true bore snakes are not a long-term cleaning solution for the proper care of your handgun or rifle's barrel.

But I've seen rifle barrels that were abused by improper cleaning with rods or by using cheap aluminum rods that sawed against the crown at the muzzle.

You can screw up your gun several different ways by "cleaning" it. But this bore snake-fobia bugaboo is just that - a bugaboo.

Focus, my dudenals ... It ain't rocket science.
Old August 23, 2017, 03:52 PM   #21
Rivertrail

I like boresnakes on my smoothbore shotguns, especially while on a hunting trip but for anything rifled I like a good old fashioned brass brush and Hoppes #9...
Old August 23, 2017, 04:41 PM   #22
FITASC

Quote:
That said, I will never ever use a bore snake again. I had a (correctly sized) bore snake BREAK OFF in a bore...at both ends of the snake...and was a real chore to remove
Which is why I said this earlier:

Quote:
do yourself a big favor and tie a piece of para cord to the loop end long enough so that when the pull string breaks off with the entire snake in your barrel, you can easily remove it by pulling it back out from the breech end.
This is especially important the smaller the bore (like .22 or .223)
Old August 23, 2017, 04:48 PM   #23
jetinteriorguy

I used to use them exclusively, but it didn't take long to realize they didn't do a complete job. So I went back to a traditional rod system. But, one thing they are extremely good for is cleaning cylinders on my revolvers. So considering what a pain that normally is its worth it to have them just for that reason alone. As for cleaning them, I just put them in a nylon mesh bag with a drawstring and toss them in the wash with all my gun cleaning rags and towels. Of course I only do this when the wife's not home, I'm not suicidal. ������
Old August 23, 2017, 06:48 PM   #24
ttarp

Quote:
But I've seen rifle barrels that were abused by improper cleaning with rods or by using cheap aluminum rods that sawed against the crown at the muzzle.

You can screw up your gun several different ways by "cleaning" it.
This is why I've started using them whenever I clean the rather expensive .22 rifle and the .223 that I'm paranoid about damaging the barrels on. I figure a bore doesn't need to be brushed and patched after every 50 round range trip, but I feel better about running a bore snake through than just leaving it untouched.
Old August 23, 2017, 07:14 PM   #25
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh
Cleaning chemicals break down the snake and it will eventually break while inside your bore.
There's your problem. I've never used any chemicals on mine; I'm just at the range and want to clear out some of the junk left by a few hundred 22lr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
Further the soft snake will pick up abrasive material (yes, even if you shake it) where a steel rod is deliberately made hard so it won't do that, while it is still softer than the barrel.
I know the following comment very 22lr specific. 22lr leaves behinnd unburned powder and primer with ground glass in it. How likely is it that the bullet scraping this mix along a bore is going to do any less damage than a rod or a bore snake pulling it through?

Whatever I use, I've settled on not over-cleaning the bore. My goal is to get it cleaner or clean enough, but not clean. I'm just going to get it dirty next time anyway.