The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 15, 2013, 11:03 AM   #1
DealHunter

Rossi 62 SA .22 Pump Opinion

Have the chance to pick up a stainless (not nickel) Rossi 62 SA .22 pump, not sure about manufacture date (pre 99 since it says Interarms on the side) in great shape (no rust/scratches/dings, smooth action, excellent bore).

OTD would be about $225, would that be worth it? I don't have a .22 pump and always wanted one just for fun. Looked around online and I'm guessing they're Win. 62 clones but don't have much experience. Had been looking at a Remington 572 a while back but the way Remington is going these days not sure I'd want a new one (and the 572 seems to be a much larger rifle).

Thoughts?
Old April 15, 2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Scorch

I wouldn't, people seem to have lots of issues with the Rossi pump rifles.
Old April 15, 2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Crankylove

We've had two in the family for about 30+years now (I believe they were both purchased in the late 70's), a rifle version (20" barrel I think), and the gallery model (16" barrel). The shorty has run perfect from day one, the rifle version had an issue feeding the last round in the magazine, but was easily fixed with a trigger from a Winchester model 62. Both of these are obviously older than you are looking at, and from what I have seen by handling the newer versions (and some word of mouth), the newer ones aren't up to the same quality as the older Rossi's.......... But other than handling one in the store, I have to real experience with them.

I just recalled my dad did purchase another stainless gallery model in the early 90's, and ended up taking it back to the store........I want to say it had feeding issues, but can't really remember for sure.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:20 AM   #4
SaxonPig

I've had a blued M62 for about 6 years (bought it used and have no idea when it was made) and I have shot it several times without any complaints. Rossi makes decent products and it's certainly a proven design so I don't see any need for concern.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:57 AM   #5
psyfly

Be aware that the Rossi, unlike the Winchester, will likely not feed anything other than .22lr. The early ones were made to feed s,l and lr but they had so many feed problems they modified them to lr only. If the stainless is a gallery, I'd give it a try. I have a blue gallery model and have not had any funtion problems. I'm thinking about trading it away, though because accuracy, for me anyway, is elusive. I have a Win 62a that will drive tacks. Truth be told, it's hard to find anything decent for that price. If you don't like it, you're not going to lose $ at that price; they're not making them like that anymore. Your biggest problem is likely to be finding something to shoot in it!