The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 30, 2012, 12:10 AM   #1
Colt Lover

Colt 38 POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL

Does anyone know if I can replace the 2" barrel with a 4" barrel on a 65' Detective Special. I inherited the gun from my dad when he passed away, but I find it only accurate at most to about 10 yards. I really like the vintage revolver style, and I would like to carry it with my CCW. Or would I be better off putting it in my gun cabinet and buying a current Revolver. Are these older guns worth anything. I'm sure my dad only shot it a couple times when he first bought it so it is GREAT shape.

Thank You
Old September 30, 2012, 08:46 AM   #2
KenW.

Don't do it. You have a collector's item with a family heraldry. If you want a 4" revolver just go buy one.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3
pete2

Some of the old Colt revolvers aren't too expensive. I'd buy a 4" rather than alter yours. You might find that it would cost less to buy a serviceable Police Positive than to rebarrel yours. Sounds likr your gun is too good to alter to me.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:18 AM   #4
fdreano

I agree with the others -- leave it be. With the average confrontation at 21 feet (7 yards) and the piece is accurate out to 10 yards then it is doing it's job as a snubby. Moreover, unless worn out, its actually prob more accurate than that and technique is the limiting factor.

Get something else and keep the gun as your Dad did...
Old September 30, 2012, 03:34 PM   #5
chaim

A snub can be hard to master. I'd bet the gun can do better than that, you just need to get more practice. However, as someone else said, for a SD gun (and a small-frame snub is certainly more a self-defense gun than range gun) 10 yards is fine. A mint Detective Special is probably worth a fair amount, and (purely a guess) is probably worth more than a Police Positive Special. I'd keep it as it is, and if you want a range gun, buy a PPS in addition (or if it was me, and I've had a PPS, I'd probably get a S&W M10 for my 4" .38spl).
Old September 30, 2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Armscor M200 and M206 revolvers are visually almost identical to the Colt Police Positive and Detective Special. M1911.org recently reviewed both, and there was effectively no difference in accuracy between the 2" and 4" versions. I agree that replacing the barrel on your Colt will severely detract from its value. If you want a 4" revolver to shoot, get one of the Armscors.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=140
Old September 30, 2012, 04:04 PM   #7
sgms

I have to agree with the rest as well, leave it as is. You can probably find a good S&W model 10 police trade in for near the cost of the barrel and smithing.
Old September 30, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
laytonj1

delete...
Old September 30, 2012, 10:45 PM   #9
GM2

Quote:
Don't do it. You have a collector's item with a family heraldry. If you want a 4" revolver just go buy one.
Good advise Keep it as is!!