The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 26, 2011, 12:44 PM   #26
Rj1972

While I'd probably say glock or M&P here, you could always try the fanny pack. I think it would be fairly reasonable to be walking around with a fanny pack at the beach since you often don't have good pockets in trunks for keys,wallet etc... Just a thought.
Old July 26, 2011, 03:00 PM   #27
Picher

I won't ask why anyone would need to carry on a beach, but I'm from Maine and I don't think people here carry there.

If I had to carry on the beach, I might just put the gun in a "heavy"-duty Zip-Lock bag, or my special gun-toting fanny pack.

JP
Old July 26, 2011, 07:19 PM   #28
Redbeardsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher View Post
I won't ask why anyone would need to carry.....
Really? On a gun forum? How about at a youth camp?
Old July 26, 2011, 11:44 PM   #29
Carry_24/7

Picher; that's why it's called concealed carry.

That you don't think anyone on the beach there has a gun tells me the concealed carriers there are doing a nice job.
Old July 27, 2011, 05:41 AM   #30
Pico

Beach

I'm not from Maine but I was thinking the same about the necessity for a gun on the beach. Plus there are probably many young children all about if you should take a dip for a moment.

That aside, the plastic bag idea for your LCP sounds like the right idea. Keep all sand and salt OUT of the mechanism.

Pico
Old July 27, 2011, 08:20 AM   #31
seeker_two

A revolver (esp. a concealed/shrouded hammer like a 638 or 642) in a ziploc bag would work better than a bagged auto...at least, it'll work more than once....

....however, if you're swimming and such, I'd lean more toward a non-firearm weapon....something like a folding knife or kubotan....much easier to conceal and maintain....and you don't have to worry as much about effectiveness....
Old July 27, 2011, 08:38 AM   #32
Magnum Wheel Man

Ok... 1st off I'm almost totally a revolver guy, & I think a revolver would have more issues in the sand, than most autos, one grain of sand dragged into the barrel cylinder gap, & you'd exprience the same "welding" as the OP did with his Ruger mag...

that said... the last thing I'd carry would be a nice 1911 or Sig ( or any high dollar auto )... even if the gun does fire, repeated firing stands the chance to score frame or slide rails & do ir-reversable damage to the gun...

I'd be more enclined to use a cheaper gun... maybe just do some specific work to it for "beach function"

... for example, I'd bet that Ruger mag could have the follower loosened up enough to fuction both with & without sand... the cost to expiriement would only be the cost of a mag... the gun would likely have functioned if the mag was working...even more so ( me on the cheaper side ) I'd be inclinded to buy a C&R auto like a CZ -82 or similar... lower cost auto designed to function in war conditions
Old July 27, 2011, 09:22 AM   #33
johnbt

"I won't ask why anyone would need to carry..... "

Surf fishing is usually the best during colder weather. The conditions are pretty harsh down there in my chest waders.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:02 AM   #34
B. Lahey

I just put it in my car if I'm going swimming, so that end of the situation is not a problem.

Quote:
I'm from Maine and I don't think people here carry there.
I'm more worried about dogs than people at this particular beach. There have been problems in the past.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:17 AM   #35
Rj1972

I had this same kind of question regarding kayaking. You could be kayaking down a small river & sometimes meet some characters that it would be easy to jump to conclusions about...not to mention alligators (texas).

They make dry sacks that could keep a firearm dry, but you have to roll the opening, so I'm not sure how super fast it might be which was why I recommended a fanny pack instead. But something to check out just in case (or if you go kayaking).
Old July 28, 2011, 04:25 PM   #36
B. Lahey

No way am I wearing a fanny pack. I'm a nerd and all, but I have not yet reached that level of dorkitude.
Old July 28, 2011, 07:26 PM   #37
clemsonbloz

you could ninjee on em with a star fish!
Old July 29, 2011, 11:05 PM   #38
Pico

Better to have a gun

and not need it then need it and not have it. I ask forgiveness...

Pico
Old July 30, 2011, 10:24 AM   #39
ripnbst

@Pico, if you go into a situation thinking you're going to need to ask for forgiveness you're doing it wrong.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:37 AM   #40
Brit

I have a Glock 19 I carry all the time, the overall tests that Glock put the Glocks through... Incredible. So pick up an Ex Cop one.

True story, when my twin Grand Daughters were 14, they visited from Canada, we ended up at Coco, they, and my local Grandson went swimming, I sat on my folding chair, and watched (dressed) sitting off to my right, dressed in dark clothes, sitting on newspapers, three young men, small and dark, Mexicans? Who knows, but they were taking way to much notice of the girls. Talking, laughing, jabbing each other with their hands.

I turned my chair to face them, took my dark glasses off, and focused on them.

They noticed, they went quiet, they left. My Wife said I was paranoid! Still am.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:08 AM   #41
Tactical Jackalope

^ Nice...I go to coco beach or daytona to surf from time to time. Get away from Miami and all it's ish.

However, I think the OP is already set. lol This thread is now 2-3 years old.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:02 AM   #42
Smit

Wasn't an identical post created just the other day?
Super-Soakers work great on the beach.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:00 AM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah. By forum member "9mm". This was resurfaced for some reason lol.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:35 PM   #44
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracr

Anything in open carry, outside waistband and a speedo would just look awesome. Who is gonna post the first picture. Not me, thats for sure.

Old January 6, 2013, 06:43 PM   #45
9mm

Someone posted this link in my thread, I guess someone clicked on it and started posting in a zombie thread. This is why I didn't post here.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:01 AM   #46
warningshot

So with all this talk about pistols at the beach, is a surfboard consider as cover or as concealment?
Old January 8, 2013, 12:59 AM   #47
Smit

Only if you want to get shot and destroy your surfboard at the same time. I'm no surfer, but I don't think they make them in Kevlar yet.