The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 14, 2011, 12:57 PM   #1
ZeSpectre

"Pinged" my local news reporter today

Going back to my collection of various "the streets will run with blood" articles, I noted that we in Virginia just passed an anniversary of sorts.

So I took the time to "ping" one of the local reporters with this email...

Quote:
Hi [name redacted],

A lot of noise was generated over the "guns in bars" laws when they were changed in Virginia. Now that we're just over a year past those changes, do you have any interest in doing a follow-up story about what effects it has/or hasn't had?

Or perhaps just a follow up to something like your earlier article..."House, Senate easing gun control laws" article (Feb 21, 2010).

Just Curious

Mr. [name redacted]
It'll be interesting to see his response....if any.
Old June 14, 2011, 02:25 PM   #2
DaleA

Good for you ZeSpectre!

I am constantly amazed at the short memory folks have for stupid stuff they’ve said and how our news media seems to just pass over it.

Years ago in Minnesota we had anti-gun legislators donning some kind of flack jacket/bullet proof vest before they gave their views on our proposed concealed carry law to play up to the TV cameras that were covering the discussion.

We also had some legislators say they were only going to shop at stores posting the “Guns Banned” sign.

Just like your state, since the law passed the streets have not ‘run red with blood’ and we haven’t been treated to any ‘High Noon” shoot outs in the city and all the legislators leading the hue and cry against concealed carry just go on about their business.

Off topic but we should hold folks feet to the fire that make claims about mass transit reducing traffic, compact bulbs and electric cars saving the planet from global warming, sports centers revitalizing cities and predictions of the world coming to an end when the results show they were wrong.
Old June 14, 2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Carry_24/7

Such a change in Florida would be great. I see no reason not to carry in Applebees just because the serve alcohol there. Until then, my tactical pen and combat folder will have to do.
Old June 14, 2011, 02:59 PM   #4
oneounceload

You can carry in Applebee's (if you have your CCW)
Old June 14, 2011, 03:07 PM   #5
YARDDOG(1)

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^
Yes Indeed ; )
Y/D
Old June 14, 2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Carry_24/7

Uh, the way I read the law is "if alcohol is consumed" there, it's a no no, I'm wrong?

Prohibited:

"Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption."

What did I miss?
Old June 14, 2011, 04:24 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Carry, I may be wrong but if there is separation from the traditional "dining section" and "lounge/bar" sections than you can CCW in the dining area. I think there was discussion on this very thing on some forum or other and the question arose as to traversing to the restrooms etc but, for the life of me, I have no memory of how that ended.

Also, it may be a situation where percentage of sales are for food or for alcohol is in question.

Brent
Old June 14, 2011, 05:10 PM   #8
GoOfY-FoOt

Quote:
"Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption."
You missed the more important part of the Statute regarding CC...
Florida Statute 790.06 section 12 states;
Quote:
No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into...any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
Basically, if you are in Appleby's, and sitting at the bar ordering some Cuervo; problem, if you are in a booth eating a meal; no problem.
Old June 14, 2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Skadoosh

Don't hold your breath.

Perhaps an op-ed or a letter to the editor of your local rag?
Old June 14, 2011, 08:17 PM   #10
Doyle

Quote:
Uh, the way I read the law is "if alcohol is consumed" there, it's a no no, I'm wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. Like another poster said, you have to read the whole law. The business (or section of the business) has to be devoted primarily to the sale of alcohol to be off limits.
Old June 14, 2011, 08:48 PM   #11
egor20

My wife and I go out to dinner at least least twice a month. One or the other of us carries, and we can only eat in the dinning area of the restaurant. The nice thing is, whom ever is carrying, is the "designated driver"

A lot of coin tossing when we go out for dinner.

There is a bar I go to on occasion, I have to lock my gun in the truck, no dinning area, also a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old June 14, 2011, 09:56 PM   #12
oneounceload

In FL, any establishment that has a dining area and a bar area.....you are fine in the dining area with your CCW

Basically same rules that apply to smoking.....51% you are OK
Old June 16, 2011, 04:24 AM   #13
Carry_24/7

Goofy foot, thanks for the details, I will certainly look more into this.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:56 AM   #14
GoOfY-FoOt

You are Whitey Melcome....
Old June 16, 2011, 01:27 PM   #15
Ringolevio

Sunflower State rules

In the Sunflower State, which seems to have very clear and commonsense rules for its CHL, license-holders are prohibited from carrying in "any portion of a drinking establishment not a restaurant".

Personally (for largely medical reasons), I no longer take alcoholic beverages. But if I did, I would take the personal decision to not do so while armed. Should I need to take armed action, I don't want to deal with even the accusation that some substance may have affected my perception or judgment.
Old June 16, 2011, 02:14 PM   #16
ZeSpectre

So has anyone else tried to contact local reporters, tried to get them to "follow up"?
Old June 17, 2011, 01:45 PM   #17
brickeyee

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Quote:
J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.
Virginia has NO bars.

Not a one.

Every place that sells any alcohol (beer, wine, liquor) by the drink must make 45% of its revenue from food.

You can carry concealed nut cannot drink.
Since most restaurants have alcohol permits (it makes a good profit) the old law effectively put just about every restaurant off limits to CC.
Old June 17, 2011, 03:16 PM   #18
Mello2u

ZeSpectre good for you.

I think it was Florida around 1987 that started a trend of "shall issue" laws in the states. The lame stream media at the time was shouting about how blood would run in the streets. It would be bringing back the wild west! Everyone would be carrying a gun and crime would skyrocket. They lamented how the police and the hospitals would not be able to keep up with the body count and the wounded.

You never see the liberal press pointing out their failures.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old June 17, 2011, 04:32 PM   #19
langenc

Regarding the first post-pinging the newspaper!!

I called the local TV station couple years ago on the occasion of the local high school spring band concert. There are practice awards, state competition awards and the John Phillip Sousa award for a band person for that year.

They were not interested in about 100 kids doing something productive and putting the concert/awards on 11 PM TV. I told that they are rather hypocritical!
Old June 20, 2011, 01:26 AM   #20
Miami_JBT

Posted by Carry 24/7

Quote:
Such a change in Florida would be great. I see no reason not to carry in Applebees just because the serve alcohol there. Until then, my tactical pen and combat folder will have to do.
In Florida you can carry your firearm with a CCW in a restaurant that serves alcohol. You cannot sit at the bar section but you may sit at a table or booth. If the business (bar) makes it's 51% profit from the sale of alcohol, then you cannot carry. But places like TGI Fridays, Applebees, and even Flanagan's is legal as long as it's not the bar itself.
Old June 20, 2011, 10:40 AM   #21
ZeSpectre

Well... I heard back.

Quote:
Mr. [redacted]

Thank you for your story suggestion. I have spoken with my editor about this and he is considering the angles.

I do admit that I was in the camp of people concerned about the "guns in bars" laws. Researching the initial story was very eye opening to me with regards to the size of the concealed carry population in Virginia, I had no idea!

But since you brought it back to my attention I did some research and while I am still not especially comfortable with regards to carrying firearms it does appear that the concern was pretty misplaced.

Please contact me again with any other story ideas you may have

Sincerely

[name redacted]
Somehow I doubt we'll see a follow up story, but at least it was a reasonable response.
Old June 20, 2011, 01:35 PM   #22
Miami_JBT

You're screwed.... he is preparing to lay his liberal eggs in your head as we speak. Tomorrow you will awake with a strange feeling behind your eye balls. That's the liberal young eating your brain.

Yeah.... he's not going to touch that with a 30ft pole. He might try to do another hit piece on firearm ownership though.
Old June 20, 2011, 02:23 PM   #23
Mudinyeri

Note that the reporter is "still not especially comfortable" regardless of what the objective data say.

Hard to argue against irrational fears.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:12 PM   #24
GoOfY-FoOt

Quote:
Hard to argue against irrational fears.
Not at all! It's rather difficult to WIN the argument, though.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:44 PM   #25
oneounceload

Quote:
I have spoken with my editor about this and he is considering the angles.
Better watch out for this