The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 4, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Come and take it.

practicing advancing fire

Dont know what the proper terminology is. Basically slowly advancing towards a target while firing with weapon, aimed rapid fire.

What distance to start the exercise?

Size of practice target?
Old July 4, 2011, 12:26 PM   #2
moose_nukelz

Moving and shooting drills

Here is a quick version of how I have learned it.

Start at the 10 yard line and slowly walk to the 3 yard line. Your upper body shooting position should not be any different that when you are stationary shooting. Focus on keeping your sights center mass of your target. Just remember to squat as you walk so your legs absorb the shock instead of trying to track with your sights. You will know when you are doing it right because you will feel very goofy at first and your legs will start to burn.

You can practice this at home, just walk down the hall and try keeping your sights fixed on something.
Here is us a few weeks ago out at the range - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkiwQ3Eot-o

Last edited by moose_nukelz; July 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old July 4, 2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Navy joe

I personally don't get slow movement while firing. Shooting on the move is a valuable game and real world skill, but if you need to be moving wouldn't hauling butt better serve you? Get the hits you need to while doing so. If you need precise aiming perhaps you should consider a large bullet resistant object while you take the time you need to do such.
Old July 4, 2011, 01:14 PM   #4
C0untZer0

Riot control... with less than lethal munitions
Old July 4, 2011, 01:22 PM   #5
AK103K

I start at around 10-15 yards and move pretty quick. Not at a run, but a fast walking pace. I shoot at "people" targets, and usually vary the drill from one to three. I also vary how I move, from straight on, to diagonal and sort of a zig zag variation of the two, depending on how the targets are placed.
Old July 4, 2011, 02:07 PM   #6
oldkim

Shoot on the move... something dear to me...

Okay, For those that don't shoot on the move... well that's like playing Wii baseball or bowling but never actually really doing it. You are going through with the movements but you don't get the true feel of weight and recoil and all the hand/eye plus moving with a real gun.

So, you can practice at home with an unloaded firearm or even better with an airsoft gun but there is truly nothing like actually doing it.

So to those that train (as above)... you might want to actually do it. I know it can be very difficult to find a range (just depends on what is available near you).

Shoot on the move has been my "niche" here in the Seattle area. Teaching shooters to shoot on the move is like re-teaching shooting...

The basics are simple until you have to do them. Take it slow, get into the tempo and rhythm of moving and shooting. Figure out what feels right for you - half steps or side or overlapping or just walk. This depends on what direction and how fast you want to go.

So back on topic:
Best way to practice: is use 8" steel targets at 10-20 yards. (10 yards is the safe distance for steel plates)

It all depends on what is available to you. What range, how it's setup, how you can do (shoot and move, use holster, etc).

Not everyone has access to steel plates... If you can then use clay targets on the berm and shoot them from various distances while shooting on the move...

Warning to all: Once you start shooting on the move - you may never look at a regular range the same.

If you are in the Seattle area. Look me up (see link below on my signature line).

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old July 4, 2011, 03:15 PM   #7
threegun

Quote:
I personally don't get slow movement while firing. Shooting on the move is a valuable game and real world skill, but if you need to be moving wouldn't hauling butt better serve you? Get the hits you need to while doing so. If you need precise aiming perhaps you should consider a large bullet resistant object while you take the time you need to do such.
Exactly! If forward movement is vital enough to survival to cause you to move then why settle for a slow walk?

For me advancing while shooting has very few applications and most are only called for if I am ahead in the reactionary curve and by advancing I close the distance and eliminate the threat before he can come up shooting.

In every case I can think, advancing with speed would be better.
Old July 4, 2011, 03:28 PM   #8
BlackFeather

I don't think it's necessarily moving toward your opponent and constantly firing but moving forward and being able to fire accurately if a target presents itself. They may be behind cover and keeping their head down until they are in your sights makes sense as well. Walk before you run.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old July 4, 2011, 04:33 PM   #9
threegun

If I am not LE why advance on a barricaded or covered opponent? Unless the rarest of occasions that you are exposed without hope of getting to cover that is.
Old July 4, 2011, 04:59 PM   #10
AK103K

Any trick you can pull out of your bag is a good thing. Having the experience and knowing you can is also a good thing. Never having to use any of it is an even better thing, but you know how that can go.

Anything you do and learn in practice, above shooting tight little groups at your leisure at the range, is going to put you in a better place confidence and skill wise. Being able to shoot on the move is one of the better ones.
Old July 4, 2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Sleuth

To me, the priorities in shooting and moving are:
1. Move to the side (train to move to either side)
2. Move to the rear (preferably at an angle)
3. Move forward only if the best cover or best opportunity to end the fight is forward.

When I first started, it was fire one shot each time a foot hit the ground. I have reached the point that (on a man sized, or 1/2 man sized target), I run out of ammo after 3-4 steps, even with a high cap.
Afetr all, if I have both a target that needs shooting and ammo, the target gets the ammo as fast as possible.
Old July 4, 2011, 05:41 PM   #12
BlackFeather

Yes, LEOs and Military should have more use for such training, but if it comes down to searching your house and you need to move forward, practice helps. For all you know it could be a target popping out while you're moving. This is a possibility in my case, especially with my neighbors heroine addicted sons...

Sleuth, no offense, but I'd be far more worried about where the bullet was striking than how many got there. What size group are we talking?

Handgun or Rifle?

Old July 4, 2011, 05:55 PM   #13
smince

Quote:
Sleuth, no offense, but I'd be far more worried about where the bullet was striking than how many got there. What size group are we talking?
No offense to you, Blackfeather. But rounds in the target=blood coming out. Regardless of where, it is a good thing.

I'm a firm believer in moving offline (whatever direction and and angle the terrain allows) and firing while doing so. If I'm moving, I'm a more difficult target for the BG to hit, while simultaneously putting hits on him.

Can I shoot one-hole groups at 7yds while moving offline? No. But by doing so, his loop is being continually reset, both by the hits he takes and trying to track a moving target.

Try it in an FOF scenario sometime.
Old July 4, 2011, 05:59 PM   #14
Sleuth

Blackfeather, all hits inside about a 6" circle from 15 yards in, all centered in the upper chest on a life sized target.

(Note - I have my own range here on the ranch, so I get to practice al lot!)
Old July 4, 2011, 06:08 PM   #15
BlackFeather

Smince, I agree. Placement on an open target doesn't matter as long as it's a hit. But I'd be far more worried about shooting a small opening while moving up to cover. So, no offense taken.

Sleuth, lucky you. I get as much practice in as I can when I can. Unfortunately it's been little in the last year. Six inches is a good opening. Have you tried putting something between you and the target to shoot through? Not in the exact middle but inches away from the target. Just something I haven't been able to try, but since you have your own range... lol

Old July 4, 2011, 07:28 PM   #16
Come and take it.

Thanks for the advice.
Old July 4, 2011, 08:21 PM   #17
smince

I've been shooting 'pro-active' (re-Modern Technique) for most of my CCW life, until 2007.

Since then, I've been practicing for close-range, in-your-face-type scenarios like the kind that will more likely happen to me in real life.

So close I or my attacker won't have time to be behind or try to get behind cover. That's why moving off the "X" is such important skill to have, and being able to shoot and hit while doing it is even more important.
Old July 4, 2011, 09:43 PM   #18
kraigwy

There is more to "shooting while moving" (or advancing) then Self Defense, Military & LE.

There are several types of competition action pistol matches out there, Run 'N Gun, ISPA, ICORE, 3 & Multi Gun, etc etc.

If one wishes to learn "shooting while moving it doesn't have to be do to being a ninja or commie killer.

Anyway, the best guide I've found out there for this type of shooting is the AMU/CMP "Close Quarter Marksmanship" DVD, $6.95 from the CMP E-Store.

It covers; Set Up, 7 Principles of High Performance Shooting, Weapons Presentation, Accuracy, Targets, The Reload, The Mental Game, Range Drills, The Ready Up Drill, Recoil Management, Multiple Threat Engagements, Shooting on
the Move, Changing Gears Drills, Alternate Position, Weapons Transition & Malfunctions.

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catal...4=&note5=&max=
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 4, 2011, 09:54 PM   #19
egor20

I carry CCW to protect my wife (whom also carries), myself and other family members, There is no way I'm advancing to fire.

My primary mission is to protect them, not to get into a firefight.

Sorry just my .02 cents

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old July 5, 2011, 12:43 AM   #20
Come and take it.

in principle

if we expect help to come soon and time is on our side

It would seem very logical to hold onto our corner of the house and let the intruder have the kitchen and living room.

but if no help is coming than we are fixed and the enemy is mobile.The enemy has time on his side and He can take that time to think of the best way to get into your defences.

If you train to be more aggressive in your tactics than you can prevent yourself from becoming fixed, force your enemies mind to guess.

At least that is my take on it.
Old July 5, 2011, 07:51 AM   #21
threegun

Quote:
No offense to you, Blackfeather. But rounds in the target=blood coming out. Regardless of where, it is a good thing.

I'm a firm believer in moving offline (whatever direction and and angle the terrain allows) and firing while doing so. If I'm moving, I'm a more difficult target for the BG to hit, while simultaneously putting hits on him.

Can I shoot one-hole groups at 7yds while moving offline? No. But by doing so, his loop is being continually reset, both by the hits he takes and trying to track a moving target.
Can't say it better.
Old July 5, 2011, 09:07 AM   #22
threegun

Quote:
I carry CCW to protect my wife (whom also carries), myself and other family members, There is no way I'm advancing to fire.

My primary mission is to protect them, not to get into a firefight.

Sorry just my .02 cents
Most of us also have a spouse and family to protect. If you are forced to defend yourself or them with your firearm its called a gunfight. In a gunfight the prime directive is to survive uninjured. If advancing increases your chances of survival why would you not do so?
Old July 5, 2011, 09:20 AM   #23
egor20

Quote:
If advancing increases your chances of survival why would you not do so?
Real simple, I've been in combat once and a knife fight once, both times I've had to advance, I'm a civilian horse farmer now, I'm putting my wife/family member between ermmmm. BEHIND me and the BG and backing out of the situation.
Quote:
Threeguns
BTW you said you were gonna put your family between you and the badguy..........sounds kinda like a human shield LOL. I knew what you meant.
Edited to make me not look like a total SOB

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand

Last edited by egor20; July 5, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old July 5, 2011, 09:29 AM   #24
moose_nukelz

Quote:
Starting slow and doing it correctly builds proper muscle memory and correct fundamentals. Have to crawl before you walk.
Old July 5, 2011, 10:21 AM   #25
threegun

Quote:
Real simple, I've been in combat once and a knife fight once, both times I've had to advance, I'm a civilian horse farmer now, I'm putting my wife/family member between me and the BG and backing out of the situation.

If it were that simple there would be no need for other tactics. If backing out is the tactic that gives you the best chance of surviving uninjured then by all means do so however if backing out is more likely to get you injured than moving laterally or advancing why not do so?

Why buck the odds?

BTW you said you were gonna put your family between you and the badguy..........sounds kinda like a human shield LOL. I knew what you meant.