The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2012, 04:52 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Is the Sig Mosquitoe a pile of _ _ _ _?

People like Walther but seem to loathe the build of the P22.

People like Ruger and seem to love the SR22.

People like Sig Sauer but what do they think of the Mosquitoe?

Is it a jam-o-matic with a quality badge, or is it made of metallic gelatin with a famous name, or is it a small clone with the same pedigree as its bigger brethren?
Old September 30, 2012, 07:36 AM   #2
thedudeabides

The entire point of a plinker is the ability to reliably cycle ALL ammo types.

While ALL 22LR semi plinkers are by nature of their design going to be unreliable on occasion, the Mosquito is picky about what kind of ammo you feed it. If you understand those limitations, it's fine, if you don't it's unreliable.

With that said, there are better and cheaper alternatives out there.
Old September 30, 2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Pilot

Yes it is a pile of ****.
Old September 30, 2012, 07:52 AM   #4
ritepath

If it's not a target 22 pistol it darned well better eat any cheap ammo I try and feed it.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:04 AM   #5
m.p.driver

At least the one i had was a piece of s***.FTF,FTE was a ongoing problem,then the rear sight fell off and it was time to go.Keep coming back to my Ruger MkII,probably have put 25,000 rounds through it and it keeps going strong.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:50 AM   #6
WC145

Quote:
Is the Sig Mosquitoe a pile of _ _ _ _?
Yes, the one I had was.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old September 30, 2012, 08:53 AM   #7
sigarms228

The SIG Mosquito and Walther P22 are made by the Umarex division of Walther that makes air pistols.

IMO there are much better options for a .22 pistol including the Ruger MK 1/2/3.

Last edited by sigarms228; September 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:50 AM   #8
springer99

Yes, the Sig Mosquito is a great .22 pistol if you like them inaccurate, and with free plastic front sights. Additionally, at no extra charge you get a firearm which is totally reliable in it's ability to be unreliable. Been there, done that.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:54 AM   #9
RBid

Yes. It is a pile of fist.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:35 PM   #10
BrokenBottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228
The SIG Mosquito and Walther P22 are made by the Umarex division of Walther that makes air pistols.
I know the P22 is made by Umarex(so are all of Colts 22 rifles from what I remember) but where did you find out that the Mosquito is? All of the one's I've held have said "Made in Germany" on them.

From most of what I've read, after you put about 1,500-2,000 high quality rounds through it using only the right spring for the ammo you're using, it get's a lot better about feeding anything you put in it.
Old September 30, 2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Pond, James Pond

Hmmmm, I'm starting to smell, I mean see, a certain trend developing here with regards to which biological material the Sig is fashioned from.... OK, then I'll walk away!!

Then there is that Schmidt SA 21-S 22LR revolver on sale!!!
Old September 30, 2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Pilot

If you want this style of pistol, the SR22 seems the way to go.
Old September 30, 2012, 02:26 PM   #13
rugerfreak

To the original question. Yes
Old September 30, 2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Pond, James Pond

Honestly, it was just that a second hand Mosquitoe turned up for not a totally unimaginable sum and I thought to myself it warranted further investigation. I have my Ruger MkIII that keeps me entertained

I like the 22LR, and typically they are cheaper to buy than centrefire guns, so I keep my eye open...
Old September 30, 2012, 02:33 PM   #15
orionengnr

One of my co-workers bought one about two years ago. Every time I saw him at the range, he did nothing but fiddle with different springs and different ammo. He used to buy 50-round boxes of every type of .22LR ammo he could lay hands on.

Probably saved him a lot of money on ammo overall, though.

I was going through a 550-pack about once a month. I never saw him get through a magazine worth. He probably has a dozen boxes, each with 40-45 rounds remaining.

I haven't seen him at the range recently. Not sure if he got it working and tucked it away, or if he gave up. But if I had to bet one way or the other, I know which way my money would go...
Old September 30, 2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Skadoosh

I watched a 12 year old kid who was shooting a Sig Mosquito at a semi-serious competition loose every single stage by at least a full minute from the next slowest time...because his Mosquito either failed to fire or failed to eject. It was so bad that at one point I had to turn away from the look of disappointment on his face.
Old September 30, 2012, 05:21 PM   #17
johnnydollar

The Sig Skeeter is junk!
Old September 30, 2012, 05:35 PM   #18
sigarms228

Quote:
I know the P22 is made by Umarex(so are all of Colts 22 rifles from what I remember) but where did you find out that the Mosquito is? All of the one's I've held have said "Made in Germany" on them.

From most of what I've read, after you put about 1,500-2,000 high quality rounds through it using only the right spring for the ammo you're using, it get's a lot better about feeding anything you put
I have read that in several places but I can't say for sure it is a fact. The SIG mosquito is made in Germany because that is where the Umarex plant is but they are not made to the standards of the P series SIG pistols or Walther German proofed pistols that are made in a different plant and come with only a one year warranty.

Some people love their SIG Mosquito but myself I would look for other options.
Old September 30, 2012, 05:40 PM   #19
Sparks1957

Quote:
I have read that in several places but I can't say for sure it is a fact
I've heard the same thing. I heard it first on the Sig forum. You might want to go over there and take a look around. Last time I did a search there I couldn't find it, however.
Old September 30, 2012, 06:00 PM   #20
GaryH

A couple of my shooting buddies have Sig Mosquitoes. They both have problems with them. It's not because they are dirty. These guys are both fiends about cleaning their guns. These pistols get torn down after every session.

The problems they have are mostly feeding with the occasional failure to fire. The ftf is just a normal problem with .22 ammo.

One of them also has a Walther with the same issues.

They love their pistols anyway because they are "Sigs".
Old September 30, 2012, 06:02 PM   #21
AK103K

My experience with both the P22 and the Mosquito seem to be a lot different than many here. Ive had both since they first came out, and other than the usual .22 issues (the same issues they all have), they have been fine. They arent target pistols, but they are plenty accurate for fun plinking.

Ive used pretty much nothing but plain old Winchester Super X (I bought a ton of it back in the 90's), and they both gobble it up. My Mosquito came with the lighter spring installed, and thats all Ive ever used with it. The only ammo Ive found that neither likes is Federal "Target", which is pretty light, and also hasnt worked in a couple other .22's Ive had.

At this point, both have quite a few thousands of rounds through them, and neither have given any signs of problems looming.
Old September 30, 2012, 06:58 PM   #22
pistoled

I wouldn't say I "love" my Sig but considering how much abuse it gets I would say for the right price it is an ok practice pistol. It gets fired way more than any other pistol. Feels like the ones I CC. It does occasionally FTF/FTE but it is a reality with any pistol that you'll get some type of failure (bad ammo, dirt, bad grip) at some point. I only get about one FTx per 100 rds which hasn't been enough to warrant replacing it.

For practice that doesn't require dead on accuracy (rifle to pistol transition, multi target repetition) its great. I can keep all shots on multiple targets (a sheet of paper) at 10 yds at rapid fire.

Would I still have bought it knowing all that I do about it now? NO. However now that I know what ammo it likes, how to lube and clean it, it is one I always take to the range for some cheap fun.

However, my .22lr (Ruger SP-101) revolver is a different story. It ALWAYS fires.
Old October 1, 2012, 03:34 PM   #23
wingspar

The Mosquito is what it is. Use the correct ammo Sig recommends to use, and you should not have any problems other than the typical problems of .22 LR’s. It’s a fine little gun if you take the time to understand it. It’s one of those guns that people love to bash. You won’t really hear from those that have it and have no problems.

As for where it is made, here is a photo of the case my Mosquito came in.