The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old June 25, 2014, 01:45 PM   #1
vostracker

Louis Awerbuck

Saw on AR15 that Mr. Awerbuck passed away. Is this true? If it is, prayers for the family and you guys! I always enjoyed his articles.

Last edited by vostracker; June 25, 2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
vostracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014, 02:08 PM   #2
2damnold4this

RIP
2damnold4this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

It's true. "We're diminished" doesn't begin to cover the loss we have. The training industry has lost an icon.
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014, 03:32 PM   #4
sm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Hansen View Post
It's true. "We're diminished" doesn't begin to cover the loss we have. The training industry has lost an icon.
Agreed.
Old June 25, 2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Have gun-will travel

I took several of his classes through Yavapai Firearms Academy .He was one hell of a guy .He will truly be missed. Rest in peace my friend. Prayers will go out for Louis and For Leigh.

Last edited by Have gun-will travel; June 25, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Have gun-will travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014, 07:14 AM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I was fortunate to take Handgun and Carbine classes from Louis. I've been going back and kicking myself over this since Tuesday night. I kept meaning to rectify that missed opportunity. "Next year," I'd tell myself...

Never wait 'til next year.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Steve Fogleman

Goodbye my good friend and teacher

Louis was my shooting sensei and friend for nearly 30 years from Gunsite through YFA. No one had any better friend or instructor.

He was an old world warrior/knight living an uncompromising code of chivalry and teaching an ancient and necessary skill in a new world order desperately in need of such a man and such skills.

My world is dimmer now. He is well remembered by those he taught in YFA East (WV/VA).
Steve Fogleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

Posted at http://yfainc.com/ today (26 June):

Louis passed away on June 24, 2014. We want to thank everyone, for your many years of support and friendship.

There have been a number of requests for information on any memorial service that might occur. Louis specifically forbade us to hold a memorial service, but he never said anything about a Celebration of Life. So, that being said, we are contemplating holding a Celebration of Life service in Phoenix, likely in July. We would need to have an idea of how many people might attend so we'd know the best place to hold a celebration. If you would be interested in attending, please let us know (and how many would be with you) so that we can proceed with arrangements. Thank you!
========================================

Words are just not enough...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Lee Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2014, 11:19 PM   #9
blackopsglock

Has there been any consideration to archiving Loiues back page of SWAT magazine much like Col Coopers Corner was?

I must say I was taken back by the passin of Louis. It's been a number of years since I had seen him last but can hear him and his words in my head and in my heart for a lifetime. He is dearly missed and in a better place.

RIP and shoot some xxxs out with Col Cooper
blackopsglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2014, 11:37 PM   #10
blackopsglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Lapin View Post
Posted at http://yfainc.com/ today (26 June):

Louis passed away on June 24, 2014. We want to thank everyone, for your many years of support and friendship.

There have been a number of requests for information on any memorial service that might occur. Louis specifically forbade us to hold a memorial service, but he never said anything about a Celebration of Life. So, that being said, we are contemplating holding a Celebration of Life service in Phoenix, likely in July. We would need to have an idea of how many people might attend so we'd know the best place to hold a celebration. If you would be interested in attending, please let us know (and how many would be with you) so that we can proceed with arrangements. Thank you!
========================================

Words are just not enough...

Lee it was a pleasure training with you and Louis over the years. My heart goes out to you in your time of morning. We lost a friend and a mentor but you lost much much more. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I would so love to be part of the celebration of life for Louis but sadly finances simply will not allow the trip. I will be there in spirit.

As you said. Words are not enough. Godspeed!
Old June 27, 2014, 11:50 PM   #11
blackopsglock

I had a warm fuzzy feeling come over me tonight. With the passing of Louis Awerbuck, I realized that my dad, Richard Byrd , Col Cooper and Jim Cirrillo ...all people I idolized are probably sitting around the great gun range in the sky with him busting some caps about right now. What a great feeling!!
Old June 28, 2014, 10:44 AM   #12
Lee Lapin

Thanks...

I appreciate Robbie Barrkmans' blog post at http://robarguns.com/blog/2014/06/26/louis-awerbuck/ - it helped a lot.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Lee Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote