The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 4, 2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Technoviking

Magazine Modifications (for Px4 .40 S&W)

With the scarcity of 10+ magazines, I went ahead and purchased several 10-round mags with the hopes of modifying them to carry 12 or 14 rounds. Anybody have any experiences, both good or bad, with attempting this? Even if you've done this with other gun types, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks
"If we wish to encourage a society where citizens come to the aid of neighbors in distress, we must not strip them of the actual power to do something about crime." ~ Murray Rothbard, For a New Liberty
Old February 4, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Roughedge

if there anything like the ones from the last ban they cant be modifyed without destroying them.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Technoviking

Well, I received the 10-rd mags and they look to be the exact same as the 14-rd variety with these notable exceptions:
  • Two small ridges on either side intrude into the interior of the magazine to prevent loading of more than 10 rounds
  • Holes on the back of the magazine indicating the number of rounds stops at 10
It looks like it should be possible to either grind away or cut out the ridges using my Dremel rotary tool. I will try it and report back.
"If we wish to encourage a society where citizens come to the aid of neighbors in distress, we must not strip them of the actual power to do something about crime." ~ Murray Rothbard, For a New Liberty
Old February 28, 2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Technoviking

Well, I was able to use a Dremel rotary tool to cut out the ridges. I then used some course-grained sand paper to smooth away any burrs on the inside and outside. The magazine now holds 14 rounds but I haven't yet tested its feeding performance at the range.

Old February 28, 2013, 12:23 AM   #5
TheGoldenState

Did you cut that with the spring removed?

Are you using the same spring that was in there when it was meant for 10, or do you need a different one now that its holding 14?
Old February 28, 2013, 12:28 AM   #6
Technoviking

Yes, I took off the base plate and removed the spring before cutting. I am using the original 10-rd spring and it seems to load like the regular 14-rd mag. The 10-rd spring is slightly narrower than the 14-rd spring to better fit between the internal ridges but they are both the exact same length.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:49 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Beretta PX4 series modifications & custom work...

For general questions, practical advice about the PX4 series, I'd contact David Olhasso; www.olhasso.com .
He's a well known target shooter & wiz with Beretta firearms.

ClydeFrog
Old March 6, 2013, 01:10 AM   #8
Technoviking

Finally, tried the modified mags at the range and had no feeding problems whatsoever.