The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 8, 2008, 01:14 AM   #1
pangris

Louis Awerbuck - Shotgun class in Baton Rouge - spots to fill!!!

For southern types who aren't checking www.louisianaselfdefense.com daily for updates

I just sent out the word about the class -

The email message -

May 8-10, 2008, *the* Louis Awerbuck will be teaching Tactical Shotgun here in Baton Rouge. This is a tremendous opportunity to train with one of the best instructors in the world, using the weapon that is considered his specialty. The flyer attached provides more info.

This class is open to anyone who is a law abiding citizen or law enforcement.

WE NEED TO GET A COUPLE MORE DEPOSITS BEFORE MARCH 15TH!!!!!

I've heard a couple consistent comments about this class, so let me address them -

1. "I'm interested, but don't have a shotgun, or don't have an appropriate shotgun."

No biggie - I can lend you a gun if you need one, but your gun may be more appropriate than you think. Awerbuck suggests the humble Remmy 870 for the class, but any mainstream shotgun will do, pump or auto.

2. "I want to take a training class, but I'm not interested in the shotgun specifically."

If you haven't trained before, or haven't take a class with long guns - 80% of the material is the same as far as the tactics. The class will specifically address what the shotgun can and can't do as opposed to a rifle. This material translates well.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, this is an opportunity to work with one of the best instructors in the world on your mindset. By all accounts and endorsements, Awerbucks lecture alone is worth the cost of admission. This guy is one of the top in the world, hands down.

I can't stress enough that if we don't fill these classes, instructors like this will not come to the area.

XXXXX of the XXXXX and I go through a lot of effort as volunteers to put these classes together. This is *world class* training in our backyard - no need for airfare, hotels, rentals, meals out... all you need is a couple hundred bucks of ammo and you are good to go.

PLEASE take advantage of this training opportunity so that we can continue to bring in other trainers! We're hoping to get Tiger Mckee back this fall for a carbine class...

Thanks,

Paul

PS - I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who would take the class, absolutely committing, if it were a handgun format instead of shotgun.

More detail on the class -

Tactical Shotgun Class

Taught by Louis Awerbuck

May 8-10, 2007 Baton Rouge, LA
This course is designed to create reflexive gun handling, competent marksmanship and tactical thinking. In addition it places strong emphasis on learning what the shotgun will, and most particularly WILL NOT, do. The importance of patterning the shotgun properly is discussed at length. The course also covers ammunition selection, loading and unloading, reloading and ammunition selection while involved in a shooting scenario, shooting from several ready positions and various tactical body positions, dim-light and flashlight shooting, shooting on the move, moving targets, multiple targets and weapon retention. Transition to a pistol is covered for those clients who have taken prior pistol training.

Ammunition requirement is 400 Birdshot, 50 Buckshot and 70 Slugs.

Tuition is $500 for three days

Lead Instructor Louis Awerbuck served in 1 Special Services Battalion in the South African Defence Force, and is a member of the National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA), the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI), and the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA). He was employed by Colonel Jeff Cooper at the original Gunsite Ranch as Chief Rangemaster until 1987, attaining the title of Shooting Master.
With three decades of instructional experience, Louis has been a contributory adjunct instructor to the Marine Corps Security Force Bn Atlantic combat small arms program and an adjunct firearms/tactics instructor for the Central Training Academy, Department of Energy. He has trained extensively in the police and civilian firearms field, and has instructed military personnel from various United States bases, including Special Forces units.
Awerbuck has authored four books, "The Defensive Shotgun", "Hit or Myth", "Tactical Reality", and "More Tactical Reality", co-produced three videos including "The Combat Shotgun", "Only Hits Count", and "Safe at Home", and is Tactical Consultant and a contributing author to SWAT magazine.
This class has been organized by www.louisianaselfdefense.com
Please visit us to find out about other classes that will be offered.
Please contact Yavapai Firearms Academy for information. Send an email:

info AT yfainc.com

Or contact Paul at (pm for info)
Old March 8, 2008, 01:50 AM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

Let me put in an unsolicited plug. I took a one day CQC handgun class from Louis out here about a year ago (http://ezine.m1911.org/awerback.htm ). It was outstanding. He is an excellent teacher. I not only learned a lot and got some new insights, I also had a lot of fun. Louis is an engaging personality.

If you are in the vicinity, are interested in shotgun instruction and available, I think you would do well to consider the class. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Old March 9, 2008, 09:11 PM   #3
pangris

Everyone here

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839008

and here

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=346002

seems to concur ;^)