The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2019, 01:17 AM   #1
Astocks2622

KAK brass solid in 458 Socom

I just put together a 458 Socom carbine to use as a woods defense/ brush hunting gun here in Alaska. I'm developing a hunting load with the 325 gr Hornady FTX, and got some 300gr KAK brass solids inexpensively for range fodder. Is there any reason those won't work as a bear defense penetrator? They have a nice wide meplat, and definitely won't expand. I've seen some heavy hardcast loads for 400-500gr bullets, but they're moving pretty slowly out of a 458...
They also make a 350gr solid, which was only slightly more expensive. Both are SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than the 300gr Lehigh Extreme Penetrator projectiles I was thinking of for that job.
Any thoughts or personal experience with the KAK rounds would be appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old January 4, 2019, 04:53 AM   #2
50 shooter

I'm putting together a 458 Socom right now, send me some of them boolits and I'll give them a try. I'll get back to you on how well they work after my first range session.

They should work well for their intended use and be more accurate. Solids are always nice, just find a good powder load for them. Some people like to push them at the upper edge of spectrum. I've found that pushing them at about 80% of the load range is where the best results come in.

As usual YMMV and that's why we do load testing.

What type of muzzle brake did you buy or did the upper come with? Trying to narrow down a decent one for the caliber. Not sure if VG6 brand of muzzle devices has one for 458 Socom. Put one on the wife's AR and really like it, would like to try one for this build.
No time for rearranging.
Old January 4, 2019, 09:36 AM   #3
jmorris

A 405 going 1050 FPS will kill the biggest hogs we have around here. One moving 1600fps doesn’t kill them any deader but does up the energy a lot (992 ft/lbs vs 2303 ft lbs).
Old January 4, 2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Astocks2622

KAK has the 300 gr solids for $29/50. They say the bullets are designed to be used with standard jacketed load data, and I'm comfortable doing load development. Mostly I was asking for input on the effectiveness of a brass solid as opposed to a heavier hardcast lead projectile for bear defense.
I went with a TriDelta brake with a thread adapter, as the KAK barrel I used had a funky pitch.
https://rexsilentium.com/GEN5-TriDel...rake-p88530548
It seems to work great. Over pressure isn't bag at all (for the shooter), and muzzle rise seemed very controlled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk