The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2018, 05:46 PM   #1
5pins

Hornady’s 10mm .400 200gr XTP bullet in Clear Ballistics Gel.

Test Gun: Delta Elite
Barrel length: 5 inches.
Bullet: Hornady .400 200gr XTP (Handload).
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: PACT 1 XP with inferred sky screens.
Five shot velocity average: 1159fps
Gel Temperature 71 degrees.

I have always liked the XTP bullet even though it seems to be overshadowed by some of the more premium bullets available. It seems to normally give modest expansion with deep penetration and I felt it would make a good choice in the 10mm. I worked up a load using Alliant Blue Dot and ended up with a five shot average of 1159fps with a high of 1180fps and a low of 1134fps. 46fps spread is a little more than I would like to see. There was no sign of excessive pressure and I may bump up the charge and see if that brings down the extreme spread. Other than that I’m pretty happy with this load.

The first shot into the bare gel penetrated 19 inches and expanded to .64 inches. The second round went 21 inches and expanded to .65 inches. Unfortunately, the chronograph didn’t pick up either shot.

I then shot two rounds into the heavy clothed gel with the first round penetrated 25.5 inches at a velocity of 1195fps and expanded to .53 inches. Round two hit at 1162fps, expanded to .52 inches and penetrated to 22.5 inches.

Later in the day, I decided to shoot the last round I had through four layers of heavy denim. Unfortunately, the bullet exited the left side of the second block and the 23-inch mark and was found lying on the floor. As you can see the denim retarded expansion considerably.

Old July 23, 2018, 08:27 PM   #2
indie_rocker

I like the XTP in 10mm loading. Lucky Gunner did some recent 10mm gelatin tests and the XTPs expanded well at decent velocities. Something that seems to be a problem for bullets designed around the .40 S&W.

They did not run a 200gn though. Thank you for your test.
Old July 24, 2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Nick_C_S

Quote:
46fps spread is a little more than I would like to see.
You have very high standards. I'd be rather pleased with a 46 f/s ES.

Good test. Thank you. Love to see this stuff.

I get my 180 XTP's going just a touch faster. You're tests tell me that they will likely have similar terminal performance.