The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2018, 02:58 PM   #1
markr6754

Favorite Load Recipes for CFE Pistol

Gents,

Just picked up 1 lb of CFE Pistol. I load 380 ACP, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. I have dies for 38 Spcl/357 Magnum, but haven’t loaded any. I’ve also never loaded the 40 S&W, but I have primed cases ready to do so.

Appreciate any light loads that work well in these calibers. All for plinking, indoor range shooting. No chrono available.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Mark
Old July 27, 2018, 05:14 PM   #2
kmw1954

Best I can tell you Mark is to start at the beginning just like every other load. Then work up powder weight or even play with cartridge lengths.

Prime example, the 45acp. I know many that have a load using 5 gr. HP-38 with a 200 or 230gr bullet that works well, is very accurate and many love it. In my 45acp it doesn't work worth a dam.
Old July 27, 2018, 07:07 PM   #3
snakeye

Light loads is subjective at best as is felt recoil and only you are the best person to determine that. Also someone's so called light loads may not work in your gun causing cycling issues. As previously stated start at the low end of the published data for CFE and the bullet you are loading and work up your loads until your gun cycles properly, is accurate enough for you and obtains the light recoil you are comfortable with.
Old July 27, 2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Tsquared

In 9mm I am running a 124gr Bayou coated RN at 1120fps, 124gr RMR FMJ-rnhb at 1290fps, and 124gr Federal Hydra-shok at 1119fps. I have also found that different bullet types will fall at different points in the recommended load range.

I have used CFE with success in 45. I have a buddy that has converted over to CFE for his 10mm and 40.

CFEpistol is not what I would use for light loads. As others have stated start low and work your way up. On my 9mm the loads are tuned for my 1911 Govt model. My 92AF usually likes different loads - It is on nightstand duty and only sees the range once or twice a year.
Old July 27, 2018, 09:30 PM   #5
std7mag

Mark,
I know it's not much help, but you need to get a Hodgdon manual and start from there. Usually it's in magazine form, cost is like $8 for yearly.
Don't trust anyones loads that they give over the internet.
Also why most on here won't give specific load info out.
Your gun, while it may be the same make and model, is not anyone elses gun.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 27, 2018, 09:52 PM   #6
kmw1954

Mark I will relate another story that recently happened to me. I was at the indoor range and in the lane next to me was a guy also shooting a 45acp so we started chatting of course. We both noticed that we were both keeping track and retrieving our brass so of course we started talking reloading.

So he telling me he uses a really nice light target load that he has been loading a long time. So I'm watching and he's shooting lights out with this round. After a short time he hands me 3 rounds and suggests I try them. Like a fool I did.

The very first round fired but would not eject the spent brass So I pull the slide back and am shaking this gun trying to get the spent case to drop out. This is when he now tells me his gun has been worked over for this round and had very soft springs in it. Great! I gave him back the other two. Lesson learned.
Old July 28, 2018, 11:54 AM   #7
Marco Califo

Hodgdon publishes reloading data free here:
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
That is a versatile powder capable of warm to hot loads in very many cartridges. Your question is too broad for specific answers.

Last edited by Marco Califo; July 29, 2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old July 28, 2018, 12:32 PM   #8
rclark

For .357, my favorite load with CFE Pistol is 6.5g under 158g SWC. Use CCI-500 primers. This is a 1097fps load out of 6 1/2" barreled BH. 34 ES, 9 SD, 15 shots. Out of the above list, this is the only cartridge I have data for. Oh, 6.0g is a good load to under the same for 1050fps. I tested below 6.0g but the ES was higher (in the 40s), and I didn't see the accuracy there that I like to see (in my test gun).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 1, 2018, 08:36 AM   #9
PhillySoldier

In 9mm Ive ransom rest tested CFE and Hornady 115 fmj's twice in the last month. My best results averaged 1" 10 round groups @ 25 yards. It seem to like the lower weight charges in my test

Gun Sig 226 4.5" barrel - 1:16 twist barsto barrel

Powder: CFE 5.0g
Brass: Starline
Primer: Winchester
Bullet: Hornady 115 FMJ
OAL: 1.15"
Velocity: 1090 fps