The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2019, 05:09 PM   #1
Bfglowkey

Canik TP9 SFx just arrived....

and boy is this thing a gem. I ordered it on special from Sportsman Warehouse with the Vortex Venom 6MOA red dot for $599, free shipping. Ordered it on Saturday night (April 6) and it arrived at my FFL on Wednesday morning. Picked it up Friday morning and took it home to unbox, field strip, clean and lube before its first rounds.

When apart I noticed some wonderful things, mainly the finish of the trigger bar etc. If it moved it was polished. Feed ramp was also highly polished. Not too much factory grease..just right amount. If I wasn't so OCD I would have felt comfortable just shooting her right after I picked it up knowing this. If you haven't heard about the trigger on these, you should try one. It is amazing. Fresh out of the box, no cleaning or anything I registered a 3 pull avg of 4.88 lbs. That's just ridiculous. Rumor is with no work what so ever it will work its way down another 3/4 a lb. So there is that to look forward to. The reset is what really makes this thing stand out. It is so close the gun begs to be run fast ( which is how its marketed..as a race/comp gun ) The RSA is stout. Really stout. It is noticeable when you rack the slide. It is NATO rated so its made for hotter loads ( +p etc) and there is a lot of buzz about it not cycling lighter 115/124 loads such as the slower Federal or Winchesters or really anything 1050 or lower. It is a common practice to break in the gun with 124 NATO ammo from Winchester or Magtech ( both are the easiest to find at Wally world or LGS.) They say a couple of boxes will do it. Otherwise there are plenty of videos of FTEs, stovepipes, return to battery issues etc. I purchased 2 150rd boxes from Wally world in preparation. I normally run S&B 115 FMJs that are 1280 FPS so I didn't think I would have any issues but I kept with what was proven to work. It also comes with 2x 20 rd mags ( 18's with +2 baseplates) a holster, 4 baseplates for mounting optics, some spare screws, cleaning rod, swag rod and the normal book swag etc. 2 backstraps, small and large with the small already installed. 3 Mag release extension buttons with the medium installed. I swapped to the small.
I left the Vortex off for the first time. Wanted to run with the Warren Fiber optic sight system it comes with. I have a set drill I run to get the feel of a new handgun and get my muscle memory tweaked for how it shoots. The natural POA when going from compressed ready to extended ready was near identical to my Beretta APX which I have the most time behind. After my first 25 shots I realized that this thing is a laser beam. To verify I pushed the target to 40 ft and used bag as a rest. 5 shots all touching. I tried 3 sets of double taps and the long heavy match barrel (5.25") and added weight up front made muzzle rise very mild and the sights settled quickly back in place allowing for very impressive double taps at 15ft. I went back to my drills and then 100 rds later I loaded 1 full mag and let her rip. Best $3.40 I ever spent. I left with a big smile and this list of pros and cons:

PRO:
Trigger
Accuracy
Trigger
value for your dollar ( you get a lot for your money and if you want it without the Vortex they are as low as $400!)
Finish of internals.
Trigger ( see what I am getting at)

CON:
having to shoot certain ammo to break it in so it will handle most common stuff used/lighter handloads
Grip stippling is medicore. It sits well in your hand but it could use a different pattern or a smidge more aggression ( not too much but a little more)
Slide lock is such that depending on how your support hand sits you could hit it and keep it from locking back or locking it back in before it was empty. My hands/grip didn't cause this but I can definitely see how the people on you tube did it and griped.

If you are looking for a range / target gun or toying with the idea of getting into any comps...take a look at the TP9 SFx . Heck just try one out if you have the chance, its a gem of a handgun. The other models of TP9s are all touted as great pistols as well and one of them might even fit other roles. They are also extremely DIY friendly. There is a solid group of folks who can show you how fun and easy it is to do your own upgrades for very little money and you can have a project gun that evolves over time. I will update after I get the Vortex installed and finish the other box of NATO rounds and bein feeding it the gauntlet of commonly found ammo to see if it will indeed eat anything or if the RSA is too much and needs a lighter one to shoot milder loads. For now I can say that the hype is real on this beauty and I am very pleased with my purchase.
Old April 14, 2019, 07:01 AM   #2
PSP

These are indeed sweet guns. I've had mine for about 6 months and it's become one of my favorites. With the Vortex installed the Canik is even more user friendly and awesome. I haven't found a flaw with the design or quality. I shoot mainly 115gr. Fiocchi, but have tried other brands... all with no problems. Enjoy your new Canick.
Old April 14, 2019, 10:51 AM   #3
rallyhound

I love mine. I put on a Burris fastfire 3 but could not zero it.Shot low with FF3 maxed out. I had to shim the sight base . Not sure if that's the gun or the sight.

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old April 14, 2019, 02:16 PM   #4
wild cat mccane

Did they fix the striker breaking issue already?

Not negative, just curious.
Old April 14, 2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Bfglowkey

The striker or firing pin issue was a small lot that had a defect when it was cast and ended up being a little more brittle ( some had issues sometime after 1000 rounds but it was never clear how many dry fires were done) regardless Century arms sent out new pin assemblies to any who did have the issue and many reported it was within a few days they received it. I have not heard anyone having issues past early 2018. I think that lot of pins worked themselves out but like any mass produced item unless there is a visible defect we cant know if the internal strength will give at any given time. This goes for any manufacturer of all tiers. Either way if mine does fail I will update the round count of when it failed, what ammo I was using and being the OCD chap I am I log every trigger pull ( snap cap or laser trainer always in my chambers) and even the clearing trigger pulls are logged. Learning to shoot Long range my instructors drilled into my head the importance of a good log book of each firearm, trigger pull etc. So it sort of stuck. I cant wait until I finish organizing it digitally! will make it way easier.
Old April 14, 2019, 03:50 PM   #6
Bfglowkey

Rallyhound: I imagine you used the base plate # that was in the book? I have heard of other people having issues zeroing the Burris as well but on different firearms. Not a lot mind you...but enough to make it raise an eyebrow. I believe it comes ( the sight) with a pic rail mount? If so and you have a rifle you could use as a test platform it might help determine if its the sight or the pistol.
Old April 14, 2019, 06:51 PM   #7
rallyhound

no biggie I installed this shim

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

problem solved.

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old April 28, 2019, 12:37 PM   #8
easy10

They discontinued the MIM ed firing pins and have not heard of any issues with the upgraded ones. I did go to a Ghost 6# since my SFX has the original one.