The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 9, 1999, 03:23 PM   #1
Contender

Here in my town we have a large lake used for recreation. Well, the Canada Geese flock here numbers in the hundreds. The amount of crap on some of the beaches is unbelievable. So, our town contracted with a company to net about 150 of them(at a cost of five thousand dollars) for processing and donation to an upstate food bank for the homeless.(God forbid that they should be hunted.)
Now, a week after the "slaughter" as the newspaper puts it, the park commissioner,town supervisor and one other official are recieving threatening letters form the PETA loonies. The police are involved as some were threats to kill family members and other threats of harm.
It's amazing the idiocy on both sides of this issue that we have come to.Supposedly intelligent people handling a problem that could simply be handled with a controlled hunt closely supervised by a couple of game wardens and a group of nuts making death threats to people over the removal of some nuisance geese. I don't have much hope for our modern day society after watching something like this take place. It's better than a movie.

[This message has been edited by Contender (edited July 09, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Contender (edited July 10, 1999).]
Old July 10, 1999, 11:07 AM   #2
Jeff Thomas

Contender, this doesn't surprise me a great deal. But, I would enjoy hearing that some of the PETA jerks are eventually prosecuted for their threats.

This reminds me of the a***oles who attack abortion doctors. They feel they must murder life in order to save life.

Way too many of the folks in our society are willing to use coercion now. Unfortunately, I think they get some of that by watching the example of our government. Whatever happened to 'live and let live', 'each to his own', 'I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it' and so on? That is the America I respect, that is the country I will defend, and those are the ideals I try to instill in my children. Freedom and liberty sometimes mean you don't particularly care for what the other fellow is doing.

From what I've seen, PETA is made up of part-time, cowardly fascists practicing junk science. If you've never done it, take a look at http://www.peta-online.org/ . These folks are even upset when we drink milk! Now, there's a group with way too much time on their hands.

Obviously, you're right - a limited hunt would have made so much more sense. Of course, some of this foolishness also comes from our current economic bliss - in hard times, even an idiot would not have blown $5K on such a stupid exercise.

Visit AZ - I think you'll like it better. We still have fewer loonies than NY and CA ... at least for the time being.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited July 10, 1999).]
Old July 10, 1999, 03:23 PM   #3
Contender

Thanks for the reply Jeff. You make some excellent points. It seems that no matter what you're doing in this society today, it seems like some band of militant nuts are against it and are going to forcibly stop you from doing it.

Just heard that further upstate from here,
there is a band of activists vandalizing fisherman's vehicles and such. These people need to get a life.

This country is going to turn into the Balkans with groups of people at war with one another.

Thanks for the invitation. I may get down there one of these days.

[This message has been edited by Contender (edited July 10, 1999).]