The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 18, 2018, 10:19 PM   #26
kymasabe

I bought a 10/22 carbine at WalMart about 12 years ago. I installed a yellow jacket bolt buffer, a Power Custom hammer, and an extended mag release....oh, and a cheap Barska scope. The trigger feels fine, and my daughters and I shoot it outdoors at 100 yards and can easily shoot a 1.5 inch group. Now, some of you right now are saying "he's full of $#*t" but it's true. I made a target/spinner thing with golf balls on the end and my daughters would absolutely drill those golf balls over and over at 100 yards, and they're about 1.5 inch across, if that.. I have no problem with the accuracy of my 10/22.
Oh, forgot...ammo makes a difference.
We're shooting some German stuff called SK, which I was told years ago was also same as Wolf .22LR ammo. We've tried Winchester and Federal, were OK, CCI was a little better, Remington was horrible, PMC Zappers were very very good, but the absolute best stuff in MY 10/22 is the SK ammo. THAT's the stuff we get the best groups from.
Old March 19, 2018, 05:15 AM   #27
JJ45

Well bought a new standard carbine Saturday.

Was thinking a peep would be nice on the little rifle but had a Burris Compact 1-4X20 EER and Weaver rings and since the rifle came with a Weaver base I decided to go that route.

Shot it yesterday with 4 different loads

Federal AE 38G HV HP (BULK)
CCI Mini Mag 38HP
Federal Game Shok 40G Solids
CCI 40G Small Game

The Fed AE performed best with The CCI SGBs a very nearly equal.

With the scope set on 3X I shot 3 and 5 shot groups at 25 and 50 yards. My best groups were 3/8" at 25 and 1 1/4" at 50 but some shots entered the same hole on some groups and I get the feeling it will do better.

The trigger has a little creep and a somewhat "mushy" break but no over travel. Kinda sort of reminds me of a military, two stage trigger. I installed a Timney sear years ago on my old 77/22 and a distant sneeze will set it off so thats what I'm used to.

A minimalist, I may or may not mod the trigger. Other than that and sling mounts I'm going to keep it as is.
Old April 3, 2018, 08:00 PM   #28
Mobuck

Some 10-22 barrels are extremely stable. The 10-22 that lives in the "SkyRack" of my UTV shoots Federal HVHP open and CCI SubSonic HP both open and muffled into a single group of bragging size @ 25 yards. Any further and the sub sonic drops below the HV.