The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 5, 2015, 09:36 AM   #51
zincwarrior

They shut down the cops? That is an interesting way of looking at things.

Another is they were almost arrested by cops armed with rifles, and that this is now being used by antigun groups in Texas. Way to go.
Old June 5, 2015, 10:03 AM   #52
sicumj

We may clap applaud pulling something over on the cops with open carry antics. But where does it end? Next time open carry with black hoods over there face. I suppose some will say hey look at those guys exercising their 2nd amendment right!

Bottom line is where does individual rights vs common sense end? I've carried a firearm open and concealed for forty years. I preach and practice situational awareness at all times. What is situational awareness? To me it is when someone displays behavior outside the norm. Is carrying an AR15 in an airport the norm? Not to me. I know open carry seems to be the next big issue in gun rights but at what cost? What does open carry do to situational awareness. It numbs the fact that a man with a gun is close by. At one time a behavior only displayed by bad guys. I think the world is complicated enough and you should keep it in your pants. You want to fight for a right how about eliminate this stupid licensing process we pay for and have to go through.

Last edited by sicumj; June 5, 2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old June 5, 2015, 10:07 AM   #53
BarryLee

I fear as we see a continued migration of people from Northern States to southern ones like Georgia we will see an increase in the anti-gun sentiments. Acts like carrying a long gun into a major airport only increases the anti-gun feelings of some people. We are only an election cycle or two away from increased attacks on gun rights in Georgia which is why it was so important to pass the legislation in 2014. So, never think that just because we are a gun friendly State doesn’t men we won’t see our rights attacked very soon – just ask Colorado gun owners.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 5, 2015, 10:18 AM   #54
zincwarrior

Quote:
We may clap applaud pulling something over on the cops with open carry antics. But where does it end? Next time open carry with black hoods over there face. I suppose some will say hey look at those guys exercising their 2nd amendment right!

Bottom line is where does individual rights vs common sense end? I've carried a forearm open and concealed for forty years. I preach and practice situational awareness at all times. What is situational awareness? To me it is when someone displays behavior outside the norm. Is carrying an AR15 in an airport the norm? Not to me. I know open carry seems to be the next big issue in gun rights but at what cost? What does open carry do to situational awareness. It numbs the fact that a man with a gun is close by. At one time a behavior only displayed by bad guys. I think the world is complicated enough and you should keep it in your pants. You want to fight for a right how about eliminate this stupid licensing process we pay for and have to go through.
The adjunct point to this is, you don't see this massive conflict with OCing pistols. Its the "lets carry an AR tee hee" crowd that causes this stuff. Its literally nothing to do with the OC pistol issue.

Quote:
Who walked away happy?
The officers weren't concerned with making sure the Texans knew their rights and were exercising them safely, they wanted to take names, make arrests and get bad guys off the streets. Tactical Ted with his AR ready to shoot someone had to walk away with his head down and tail drooping. The OCT guys looked like they were going to have some lunch and a laugh.
Mothers Demand Action and the other antigun groups walked away happy.
Old June 5, 2015, 10:28 AM   #55
4thPoint

When did this ...

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploa...led-Carry1.jpg

...become more acceptable than this?

http://teachmix.com/performlit/sites.../wayne-300.jpg

Last edited by Evan Thomas; June 5, 2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: copyright violation.
Old June 5, 2015, 10:37 AM   #56
BarryLee

Quote:
I wonder sometimes, when Texans stopped admiring this...
I suspect it was sometime when we stopped riding horses and started traveling in modern high speed jet airliners. The issue isn’t what gun owners think is normal the issue is what the rest of the voting public might tolerate. SCOTUS has ruled that reasonable restrictions are acceptable. So, it would take very little for the Georgia or Texas legislatures to remove some of the recently granted freedoms. As both States fight feverously for new industries many of these Companies and their employees may not share our beliefs on guns. So, why get in their faces? Why push the issues beyond what is reasonable?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 5, 2015, 11:16 AM   #57
skizzums

Quote:
When did this.....become more acceptable than this?
I don't see someone walking around the desert with a long-gun the same as someone walking into a crowded airport, do you? have you been to the busiest airport in the world before?

I mean, whatever, just don't complain when we get new laws, because that's all that will come of crappy behavior
Old June 5, 2015, 12:07 PM   #58
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They shut those meddlesome cops down, quick, fast and in a hurry.
So, the intent is humiliating cops? In the 1980's and 1990's there was a great deal of effort put into getting law enforcement on our side. A few things like this can erase that goodwill very quickly.

Quote:
No BS arrests, unlike the first time Grisham did a legal walk with an AR (and I'll note Gresham was Not convicted of any firearm related crime).
No citations, no fines, no crime
Actually, Grisham was fined $2000 for interfering with the police.

Quote:
Over 150 years ago. People have this idyllic picture in the minds of a frontier America in which everyone strutted around like armed peacocks. It's simply untrue.

The towns popular culture associates with gunslingers? They were some of the first to pass very stringent gun-control laws. Carrying a gun into the city limits of Wichita and Dodge would get you arrested or possibly shot.

The famous gunfight at the OK Corral? The Earp brothers were attempting to enforce Tombstone's recent ban on carrying deadly weapons in the town. Cattlemen (cowboys!) called for bans against carrying in the streets in several cities of the Dakota territories. Pat Garret's range in New Mexico? They banned cowboys from carrying guns and required that any employee caught with one be fired.

So, we've got a mindset built on a Hollywood myth that enjoys baiting cops. There should be little wonder many of us take a dim view of it.
Old June 5, 2015, 06:21 PM   #59
FITASC

Quote:
Quote:
I don't see someone walking around the desert with a long-gun the same as someone walking into a crowded airport, do you? have you been to the busiest airport in the world before?

I mean, whatever, just don't complain when we get new laws, because that's all that will come of crappy behavior
Exactly.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 6, 2015, 08:19 PM   #60
kilimanjaro

As of today, I've seen two articles in national media about this stunt. This guy is not doing good for the cause.
Old June 6, 2015, 11:45 PM   #61
colbad

One should use good judgement when exercising their rights. An idiot looking for a confrontation the way he did puts all his judgement with firearms into question.
Old June 7, 2015, 04:22 AM   #62
leadcounsel

Idiots like this guy OCing a loaded AR into the entry of a highly secure area put us at risk of losing rights, not gaining more.

This is borderline yelling fire in a theater. It can cause significant panic, diversion of resources, mis-responding by law enforcement, accidental shooting, etc. Imagine the abuse of 10 terrorists showing up with their OC rifles and then getting the drop on airport security and taking over...

His right? For now, I suppose. I won't be surprised when that right evaporates or is voted away due to stunts like this. How much of a hassle will it become when you can't bring a firearm into the unsecured areas to check it on the plane, or even carry a concealed one to pick up a passenger or drop off a passenger!
Old June 7, 2015, 10:33 AM   #63
SHR970

He was not in the secure part of the airport!

There is a difference, and a major distinction. If he were in the secure part of the airport, he would have been arrested.

Get your facts straight.
Old June 7, 2015, 10:48 AM   #64
Sharkbite

Quote:
This is borderline yelling fire in a theater. It can cause significant panic, diversion of resources, mis-responding by law enforcement, accidental shooting, etc. Imagine the abuse of 10 terrorists showing up with their OC rifles and then getting the drop on airport security and taking over...
Yep. Good analogy. What would have been the result if people had seen this idiot with his rifle and panic had ensued?? A couple people scream "He has a gun!!" And start running.

With the history of mass shootings around the world, it would not be unlikely to cause a panic.

So then the national news carrys a story that spreads more dislike for guns in the general populace. A new call for AWB's.... Tighter restrictions on our "rights"

Come on...be smart about this stuff. Anytime there is a gun present it is a "no stupid zone". This guy was stupid
Old June 7, 2015, 12:07 PM   #65
Prof Young

It's a matter of decorum . . .

It's a matter of decorum. In a civilized culture we have social expectations about how people should behave. Mr Cooley could have gone to the airport wearing nothing but a speedo swim suit. He would not have been breaking the law but people would have looked and stared and wondered just like they did with the gun. Although he LEO's might not have questioned him.

This is ONE of the reasons we have concealed carry. Guns in the open tend to get people, especially non-gun people, concerned and excited. Why flaunt it?

My LEO step-son occasionally gets a "man with gun" call and it may be something as simple as a guy cleaning his guns on the front porch of his house. In that case it's an over reaction on the part of others and the gun cleaning guy is not violating any social norms. (Heck when I want to do a thorough cleaning of a gun and know I'll be using a lot of Hoppes I go out on the deck which is in full view of the local police station just across the street.)

We have to hang on to our gun rights tightly. But we don't gain any "ground" by being in the face of our culture and flaunting our rights. It's conceivable that the results of Mr. Cooley's actions would be a total ban on fire arms in air ports, a loss for gun rights, not a gain.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old June 7, 2015, 12:36 PM   #66
SHR970

Quote:
Prof Young wrote: But we don't gain any "ground" by being in the face of our culture and flaunting our rights.
I beg to differ. Generally speaking you have a point..however I have been reading the same arguements in this thread that were being thrown about against the open carry movement in Cali. In the original court case of Peruta the judge cited the limited and very restricted open carry in Cali. to be the reason for finding against Peruta as his rights were not totally violated.

After the decision, the brain trusts in CowTown passed legislation banning open carry. With the Gov.s signature, they evicerated the legal mental gymnastics and opened the case wide up. The appeal went our way.... and after much delay and much legal contortions, we now are going en banc.

Being "in the face" could very well be what it takes to force Cali. to be Shall Issue.
Old June 7, 2015, 12:51 PM   #67
Glenn E. Meyer

That is always an empirical question as what the courts will do.

The recent SCOTUS decisions were 5/4. The reason the NRA was against SCOTUS cases before was that they feared a clear cut Constitutional loss.

Even with the win, the reasonable restrictions prose is seeming to have caught on as supporting gun restrictions.

You just never know. I read an analysis of Judicial decisions at SCOTUS. The major of variance seemed to be the justices' politics. Then one can find precedents for anything.
Old June 7, 2015, 01:21 PM   #68
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Being "in the face" could very well be what it takes to force Cali. to be Shall Issue.
"In the face" is what got California the Mulford Act in the first place. The "in the face" rifle open-carry demonstrations are what got the UOC loophole closed a couple of years back. The only change we saw from those shenanigans was negative.

Does the situation lend some impetus to Peruta? In theory, yes. In practice, however, the case is in a holding pattern. The panel could still reverse the decision.

What then? Supreme Court? Maybe, if they choose to hear it. We've had several pressing cases so far, and they've refused to address the issue.

The whole narrative that the UOC movement forced anyone's hand is nothing more than wishful thinking.
Old June 7, 2015, 01:41 PM   #69
Glenn E. Meyer

There is some logic to forcing someone's hand. It is in the general world view of the underlying issue.

In the Civil Rights movement, the confrontational issue with police, as in Selma, caused police actions that most of the country thought as unreasonable given our fundamental view of rights. The minorities were victims of truly invidious oppression.

Some of the gun world may view the carrying of such military appearing weapons as fundamental as the rights to vote, not suffer segregation, job and housing discrimination, etc. However, the right to vote, etc. is probably not seen in the same positive light as carrying an extremely dangerous weapon.

Two cases in point, the CA carrying of legal arms by the Black Panthers and the open carry pistol demonstrations led to bans on such. There was not an outcry of rights violation. Those actions were seem as fundamentally dangerous without competing good by many.

To the general public and a good part of the gun world, an AR with an 100 round mag in an airport suggests no good as compared to the good of ending discrimination.

Thus, the in your face argument ignores the dynamics of attitude analyses. Of course, if you are part of the gun world - you may not accept this. Many would prefer the uproar and even loss if it makes their point.
Old June 7, 2015, 01:44 PM   #70
4thPoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo

Quote:
They shut those meddlesome cops down, quick, fast and in a hurry.
So, the intent is humiliating cops? In the 1980's and 1990's there was a great deal of effort put into getting law enforcement on our side. A few things like this can erase that goodwill very quickly.
I don't recall using the word 'humiliating', if the gentleman would refrain from 'straw man' arguments, it would be appreciated. But, to answer your question no, the intent is not to humiliate law enforcement but to ensure that law enforcement is cognizant of the limitations of their authority. How would the gentleman make such assurance if not by test?

Quote:
No BS arrests, unlike the first time Grisham did a legal walk with an AR (and I'll note Gresham was Not convicted of any firearm related crime).
No citations, no fines, no crime
Quote:
Actually, Grisham was fined $2000 for interfering with the police.
My apologies if I was unclear, my words were referring to the gentlemen depicted not to the Grisham incident, although I will again note that Grisham was not convicted of any firearms offense although that is the obvious reason why he was detained. I'm fairly sure that had the officer not detained Grisham for what was ostensibly legal conduct he could not and would not have interfered with the officer. I'm of the mind that the charge was "By gawd, I'm gonna charge him wit' sumthin'! Ima gonna ruin his day one way or'tother."

Actually, upon going back and re-reading my post, it seems obvious that my words were deliberately misquoted. A gentleman should know better.

Last edited by 4thPoint; June 7, 2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old June 7, 2015, 01:50 PM   #71
SHR970

The fact that the Black Panthers were openly carrying is not what had the politicians in a tizzy. Their Black Panther Police Patrols is what had them in a lather. It does make a difference to the talking points.
PBS Story

And yes Tom, we could lose @ en-banc.....and SCOTUS COULD refuse the appeal...even though it goes directly to Heller in my uneducated opinion. But it still stands that closing the UOC loop hole blew a hole in the case in the first place. And a win at en-banc has far reaching implications. If a win @ en-banc...who is left w/ standing to appeal to SCOTUS?
Old June 7, 2015, 01:55 PM   #72
Glenn E. Meyer

I fail to see that point. The patrols had open displays of weapons has an integral part of their actions.
Old June 7, 2015, 02:31 PM   #73
kilimanjaro

We can talk about forcing the issue, like with civil rights, Selma, same-sex marriage, etc., etc., and how it will eventually work, but we have to realize one fundamental difference :

These are guns. Guns generate a visceral response in our population, and it doesn't matter what anyone says about it.

Want to split hairs about 'assault weapons'? Sorry, we lost that argument and will not ever win it. Never.

Think permits are an infringement of a unalienable right? I agree, but it doesn't matter, permits are here to stay and the restrictions on who gets them as well.

Cry and moan about the end of new NFA registrations? Tough beans, you're lucky they weren't all sent to the smelter in 1986. They will be if someone goes nuts with one.

Think private sales should be exempt from background checks? Put it to a vote and lose, every time.

Want to gut the open carry laws in your state? Just carry an assault rifle with a drum magazine around in public. Absolutely no one, not one person, is going to support that at the ballot box when it comes time to address the issue.
Old June 7, 2015, 03:19 PM   #74
manta49

Its a stupid thing to do , no matter way you look at it. All it will achieve is the authorities will be looking at a way to prevent it happening in the future.
Old June 7, 2015, 05:11 PM   #75
leadcounsel

Quote:
SHR970 said: He was not in the secure part of the airport!
I clearly said at the ENTRY POINT of a secured area.

Quote:
Leadcounsel: Idiots like this guy OCing a loaded AR into the entry of a highly secure area put us at risk of losing rights, not gaining more.
In the military, this is what we would consider approaching hostile intent. Say, for instance, at a checkpoint a person walks up with a loaded (mag in the magwell) AK47. We'd be authorized to detain or even shoot.

Before you go into the "this isn't the military, this isn't a warzone" diatribe, it's the same principle. Putting people on apprehension and fear at the entry point of a secured area.

Imagine if 1 person showed up on your sidewalk with a loaded AK, within his rights. Stood there eyeing your house. You have to leave to go to work, and your family will be alone all day. Now say 10 people show up, standing on your sidewalk, loaded ARs and AKs, eyeballing your house. Does that raise any level of apprehension in you?

Maybe they're not doing anything illegal. Just gathering peacefully on public property. They may be within their rights, but 99.9% of people would feel apprehension and call the cops. It's the context, and the feeling of apprehension and hostile intent they communicate.

Same thing at the airport. For now it may be lawful, but I bet that changes thanks to this moron. It's the communication of hostile intent and the feeling of apprehension it causes. I am 100% pro gun, but if I'm at the airport standing around to check in and thereby unarmed, and I see some guy walking around with an locked and loaded AR, I'm going to be extremely concerned, move, take cover, and report him. Mass shootings are a thing of today and putting people in apprehension is not helpful.

These acts set us back, not forward.

Last edited by leadcounsel; June 7, 2015 at 05:25 PM.
Closed Thread