The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 28, 2017, 08:05 AM   #1
g.willikers

Electronic target failure

Maybe the newest and greatest technology isn't always the best idea.
In a recent issue of the NRA Shooting Sports USA, they report failure of the electronic target system for having to cancel a recent CMP match.
it's not just your lawn guy who cuts your communications lines.
Workers at this match managed to destroy the target cables.
Here's the story:
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...CENSORED-=0617
Old June 28, 2017, 08:32 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I will get a report on the latest match at Lodi at lunch today.
They have a camera system that was pretty spooky the last time my LR friend shot there.

Friend reports that the target camera system worked well in Lodi until the cheap tablets used to display the targets started fading. Says he will take his wife's iPad next time.

He knew of the shredded cables at Perry, too. Said that was just sloppy installers; the similar setup at Talladega has been debugged and is working well.

Last edited by Jim Watson; June 28, 2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old June 28, 2017, 08:21 PM   #3
darkgael

Perry

A friend of mine shot Service rifle at Perry yesterday. Electronics were working just fine.
Pete
Old July 20, 2017, 08:32 AM   #4
kraigwy

Its a new concept and like everything new you're gonna have bugs.

I've shot those targets at Talladega where they have been set up for a while and they worked great.

The CMP started taking them to their Traveling Games and the first time I shot them at the OK City games, they had problems. The 2nd year they were at OK City, they worked quite well.

I do miss the comradeship of the pits but the electronic targets the future of High Power and do make for smoother, faster, matches.

We've come a long way since I've started shooting HP, mixing flour and water to paste targets and paddles to show scores from the pits.

I do miss the paddles, waving "Maggy's drawers" from the pits or trying to shoot the paddles held over the X Ring.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 20, 2017, 07:11 PM   #5
polaris joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
Its a new concept and like everything new you're gonna have bugs.

I've shot those targets at Talladega where they have been set up for a while and they worked great.

The CMP started taking them to their Traveling Games and the first time I shot them at the OK City games, they had problems. The 2nd year they were at OK City, they worked quite well.

I do miss the comradeship of the pits but the electronic targets the future of High Power and do make for smoother, faster, matches.

We've come a long way since I've started shooting HP, mixing flour and water to paste targets and paddles to show scores from the pits.

I do miss the paddles, waving "Maggy's drawers" from the pits or trying to shoot the paddles held over the X Ring.
Right. Working the pits was always part of the fun for me.
Old July 29, 2017, 04:15 AM   #6
Mozella

Quote:
My experience was just the opposite at Talladega. I went to a major match there and the electronic targets failed, but not before plenty of delay. After fooling around for most of the day, the match was finally cancelled without anyone firing a scoring shot. It was a complete flop.
Old July 29, 2017, 08:09 AM   #7
Jim Watson

When was that? Maybe it was before the time Kraig was there.