The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 19, 2019, 01:09 AM   #1
rifleman0311

Should I sell my VEPR FM-11 AK47

I purchased a VEPR FM-11 AK-47 before we stopped importing them in the country for about a thousand bucks. The rifle came with a Bushnell optic, Arsenal rail mount, VLTOR carbine conversion stock and upgraded hand guards and sights. I still have all the original parts that came with the rifle and can be easily converted back to stock configuration and it's in immaculate condition because I've only put maybe a few hundred rounds down the pipe. Due to current importation laws a part of me doesn't want to use it and keep it as a collectors item and the other part is use it as its intended purpose. That being said I absolutely hate safe queens and prefer to utilize all of my firearms, shoot them, modify them etc...my question is should I keep this thing in the corner and wait for a rainy day 10 years down the road and cash in on it, or sell it now and purchase another AK I can use as a "beater". Will these things continue to gain value and will I regret selling it off right now? Who's got a crystal ball?
Old May 19, 2019, 08:11 AM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

If you consider it an investment to cash in on shoot it on special range days and then keep it nice. Then just buy a PSA AK47 as your range toy and blast away with that one. That way it's not a safe queen but still will hold value as a shooter but kept in good condition.
Old May 19, 2019, 02:03 PM   #3
rifleman0311

It's funny that you mentioned PSA because I was considering selling it and getting the AKV and AKP haha
Old May 19, 2019, 02:12 PM   #4
Nacho Man

Hell no don't sell that.
Just shoot it and keep the rifle.
The only AK I have now is a Sam7sf, I have some acquaintances trying to buy it from me.
I'll be damned to let someone else get their hands on my rifle. I certainly wouldn't sell it just to cash in
and get a American made Ak, just because it passed a AKOU test.
Old May 19, 2019, 06:16 PM   #5
smee78

Keep it and shoot it or if you want something to drag through the woods then go pick up another gun and shoot it. I dough you will wear the gun out shooting a few hundred rounds a year through it.
Old May 20, 2019, 01:45 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
Hell no don't sell that.
Just shoot it and keep the rifle.
This is the correct take.

The VEPR is a heavy-duty AK and that's what it's built for.
Old May 22, 2019, 01:14 AM   #7
veprdude

Import bans aren't generally undone. It will gradually rise in value like all AK variants that aren't made of US parts.

Caveat 1: Granted, we are in a weird zone with general gun value deflation. Don't confuse that with the fact that there likely won't be any more Molot guns imported again.

Caveat 2: Russia isn't China. We still get ammo from Russia so small arms might reverse. China is caput.