The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2009, 09:50 PM   #1
3StrikesNC

Standard Rifle Primers in Magnum Cartridge

Okay, I just reloaded some 7mm STW cases with 65 grains of IMR 4350 and 150 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip bullets. My only issue is when I was done I realized I had used Standard Rifle Primers instead of Magnum Rifle Primers (stupid me ).

Will this be an issue?

I also primed some cases which I had planned to use Reloader 22 and some Hornady 175 grain spire points. Any issue here?

Thanks.
Old November 1, 2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The loads will fire, but are likely to have wider velocity variance than would be the case with standard primers. The job of the magnum primer is to raise the pressure of the case to make the powder start and sustain its burn more easily. That helps when the case is not full, as is the case with your 4350 load. If you raise the muzzle before firing to get the powder over the primer, that can help.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 2, 2009, 09:03 PM   #3
3StrikesNC

Thanks.

Guess I just blew it. I'll just use them for 100 yd paper. Good thing I didn't do them all this way.
Old November 2, 2009, 10:41 PM   #4
reloader28

You could shoot them up for practice but personally I hate wasting the stuff. Why dont you just pull the bullets and start over? Or maybe pull them and just add a grain of polyfill over the powder to keep it in place. That helps too.
Old November 3, 2009, 08:47 AM   #5
GeauxTide

I'd pull 'em. Cases are already prepped, and repriming is easy.
Old November 3, 2009, 02:24 PM   #6
elwaynum1

I also have a question regarding magnum primers. (sorry to hijack the thread)..I am loading about 55 grains of IMR 4831 for 7mm Rem mag with 150gr Sierra SBT's, but have been using standard large rifle primers. Will changing to magnum primers make a difference? And, when should I or shouldn't I opt for magnum primers?
Old November 7, 2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Ifishsum

I think more about the powder I'm using than the actual cartridge when making a primer choice. Ball powders can be harder to ignite so I tend to use magnum primers with them, and standard primers when using extruded powders - regardless of whether the cartridge is a "magnum" or not. I've never used magnum primers with 4350, they're just not necessary.

Elwaynum1: There's no reason to think that you'll gain anything from a good load simply by switching to magnum primers. If you've worked up the load using standard primers and you want to try magnums, you should drop the charge weight by a little bit and work them back up again. Anything else is taking a shot in the dark (and an unnecessary risk).