The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2009, 04:56 PM   #51
tiberius10721

I use my lee classic turret press to reload 38 special ,357 magnum 45 acp ,380 acp,and 9mm and Im very happy with it.Ive never had a single problem with it or the carbide dies ive ordered from lee.I like the instructions that come with all the lee products easy to read and understand.For the amount of shooting I do Im perfectly satisfied with this press.Im glad I didnt start with a progressive but to each their own.
Old April 23, 2009, 04:57 PM   #52
CrustyFN

Quote:
But none with a warranty like Dillon that replaces broken or warn parts free of charge in two days with no questions asked.
Nnobby45 I will agree that Dillon does have a very good warranty but it's not always no questions asked. I have talked to some people that had to mail parts back to Dillon before they could get the replacement.
Rusty
Old April 23, 2009, 05:37 PM   #53
Dan The Sig Man

Well I finally got around to getting My Turret Press Kit out of the box today and was reading everything and go over the parts and pieces to make sure everything was there. I also wanted to make sure that the Turret would turn and everything WORKS great. I cant wait to get it mounted and start making some loads, but that will wait for a while... I am reading Modern Reloading Second Edition. I think this Press is WELL built and the Action is VERY smooth, the Dies are very nice and seem to fit the Turret Extremely well. I am SO happy about my decision.
Old April 23, 2009, 06:06 PM   #54
tiberius10721

You made a good choice Dan.I love mine and dont use anything else!
Old April 23, 2009, 08:01 PM   #55
David Wile

Hey Dan,

I presume your post (#49) was in response to my post (#29). I am sorry to offend you, but I did not intend to be talking trash about you or anyone else. I know my #29 post was addressed to "Dan", but for the life of me I can not tell you why I addressed it that way. My intent on post #29 was to address it to BRO2's post #19 where he said, "Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am considering going with a Lee classic turrent kit from Cabela's. $189. What about the T-Mag by lyman? "

He said he was considering paying $189 for a Lee press at Cabelas. My response on post #29 simply said that I would rather buy a used RCBS RockChucker or RCBS Junior for about half the price he was talking about for a new Lee press.

I then went on to explain why I thought a single stage press was a better first buy press than a progressive. If you recall, he started this thread with the question: "Hello, I want to start reloading 45acp. Looking for a good single stage kit. Maybe later get a progressive press. Help!"

Later in his post #30, he asked if he should get a progressive: "Hey, My wife just gave me the go on $600! Should I get a progressive?"

I don't think my explanation to him about why a single stage press is a good choice was talking trash to him in any way. He asked for help. I offered it.

You suggested in your post #49 that I made myself look like a fool. I'm not sure how you came to that opinion; maybe it was because I mistakenly addressed my response to you instead of BRO2, but that error hardly seems foolish. It was just a mistaken addressee. The content of the post still speaks for itself concerning the whole experience of learning the craft of reloading.

If you want to argue that reloaders have no need for a single stage press when they own a progressive press, you certainly may do so. But your argument would simply be defending an indefensible position. I know there are many folks who started with a progressive press and never bought a single stage press. I know those folks can get by that way, but that does not mean it is a good way to go. I also know folks who started with a progressive press and later found they also wanted a single stage press to do special work that is not so easy to do on a progressive. I also know some folks who started with a progressive press and found their learning curve to be far more difficult than they ever expected. Some of those folks even quit in frustration.

You are correct that your money is yours and you have every right to spend it as you wish. I see from your more recent post that you got your Lee press, and I am glad for you. You, like many other folks who bought Lee presses are very happy with their purchases. Some folks like Lee, some Redding or RCBS, maybe Lyman or Hornady, and others may choose something else entirely.

It would now appear that BRO2 has decided to order a Hornady L&L AP. It is a very good press; I have one myself. However, I did not tell BRO2 that I chose a Hornady L&L AP. There are lots of folks who will tell others to buy whatever brand press they happen to own. They will say things like, "Buy a XXXXXX and never look back.", or "Buy a XXXXX, it is the best press hands down." and other statements that have no basis in objective analysis. I generally try not to tell people what brand to buy. I generally tell people to search out other folks who own different brands and get first hand knowledge of how they work so they can make their own decision based on informed knowledge. If that makes me foolish in your eyes, I am sorry.

You now have your press and BRO2 will soon have his press, and I wish you both well in your path down the reloading way. I suggested a single stage press to BRO2 and would have done the same for you, but that is OK. We all make our choices and most of us make our choices work. Both of you, like everyone else, will have problems to iron out along the way, and this forum is a good place to get help. You may get different ideas along the way sometimes, but you need to look at the whole of the content and figure out what may work for you.

Again, I did not mean to insult you in any way. I don't like to rag on others just as I don't like to be ragged on. I hope you enjoy the reloading path and do not give up on the knowledge of the forum because I or someone else may say something that seems wrong to you.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old April 23, 2009, 08:21 PM   #56
TacticalDefense1911

I wouldn't waist your time with a single stage press. I just started reloading and I got a Lee Deluxe turret press and I am already bored with it. It is super simple to set up and use and it is plenty quick. For $100 I dont think that you can beat Lee's Deluxe turret press. It has an auto index feature which is nice; doesnt rotate the dies to exactly the correct spot 100% of the time but it is easy to move them into the correct position and it does work about 80% of the time.
Old April 23, 2009, 09:07 PM   #57
Nnobby45

Quote:
You can reject any ideas you like, but that does not make you correct in your assumptions.
1. I don't reject your opinion that a single stage is best for beginners.

2. I don't share it, however.

3. I do reject your opinion that a beginner should start with the single stage because the progressive would be too much for him to handle--if that's what you're getting at.

4. I already know I can reject any ideas I like, but thank you. So can you, as you've demonstated.

5. The beginner who started this thread has heard both of our opinions, (and many more) and has made his mind up. I'd advise my best friend to start with the Dillon, but that's his choice. Not that you and I can't keep arguing about it.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 23, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old April 23, 2009, 09:33 PM   #58
wncchester

I have and mostly like a 20 year old RCBS RockChucker II but I also recognise it's several short comings. And leverage on the old RCBS Jr. presses suk for any cartridges larger than pistol stuff.

Puzzles me why some green Kool-Aid drinkers think they need to slime other people's choices, especially after the fact when their opinon is totally irrelivant. Makes me wonder if they are actually as confident in their own tool choices as they want others to think.
Old April 24, 2009, 06:04 AM   #59
CTpistol

I, and many others, started using progessives (Dillon 550b)

Reloading is not as complex as many would like to think it is, and may are in it simply to punch out mass ammo and be self sufficient. If thats the case, dont bother with a single stage.

Good Luck.
Old April 24, 2009, 02:28 PM   #60
BigAl

Dillon RL550B

I have wanted to get into reloading for quite some time, so last year I finally bought a Dillon RL550 and started my reloading hobby. Prior to that I had read a couple reloading manuals and watched Dillon's video, so I had a good understanding of the basic process. I think the most important thing is to understand what you are doing in each step and be safe. Have fun and enjoy.
Old April 24, 2009, 04:04 PM   #61
B737drvr

I'm a newbie but have been following the forums for several weeks now. I am getting the bug to start reloading and am trying to decide which press to get. I am looking a getting a Lee kit, but trying to decide between the single stage Challenger Kit or the Deluxe Turret Press Kit. I know the Challenger kits includes the hand primer, but the advertisements for the Turret press don't say anything about a primer...
The rugged Lee Turret Press along with the Auto Disk Powder Measure, produces top-quality pistol and rifle ammo in a hurry. A finished round with a few pulls of the lever. Large enough to handle monster belted magnum rifle cases as well as the smallest of pistol rounds. When it is time to change calibers, simply lock in a new turret and begin loading within seconds. In addition to the Turret Press and Auto Disk Powder Measure; the kit includes the Lee Safety Scale, unmatched for sensitivity, a primer pocket cleaner, cutter and lockstud to trim the cases and a chamfer tool to deburr cases after trimming. A set of Lee Dies is all that is required to complete this reloading outfit.
Is a set of dies really all that is required? Those of you that got the Turret Kit, does it include a primer feature? How dies it work? Thanks. Any and all advice is appriciated!
Old April 24, 2009, 04:12 PM   #62
RickV

I found this for you. You could email them to verify or you can add the Safety Prime show on the same page.

http://www.factorysales.com/cgi/cata...rretpress.html
Old April 24, 2009, 08:30 PM   #63
Dan The Sig Man

RickV... I just got my Turret Press Kit this week, and I can tel you that there is NO Priming device. I have to go in and order one myself. I too got it from Factory Sales. So if you buy the Turret Kit, make sure you add the Prime tool.
Old April 24, 2009, 09:25 PM   #64
RickV

I was just posting that info for B737drvr I use a Lee Pro 1000.
Old April 24, 2009, 09:32 PM   #65
B737drvr

Thanks RickV. I was e-mailing Dan the Sig Man and we are both a little confused with the link you sent. He just got the Deluxe Turret Kit, but no primer system is enclosed, so in that case, the dies are NOT the only thing you need to get going. I am e-mailing Lee to get a little clarification. Anybody else that has this system, please chime in...
Old April 24, 2009, 09:38 PM   #66
RickV

Thats cool, I was just trying to give you somewhere to look and maybe get a email address to ask questions.
Old April 24, 2009, 10:45 PM   #67
Dan The Sig Man

Well there is a couple Lever Prime for the Turret Kit. They are the little rods that actually place the Primers into the Case, but there is no device to hold the bulk primers. I think if you wanted that, you would have to order the Lee Safety Prime, that is what I am going to order to add to my Turret. It is fairly cheap through factorysales.com.
Old April 25, 2009, 07:03 AM   #68
TacticalDefense1911

Yeah, the priming system that comes with the turret presses is the weak link in rapid reloading with the Lee turret press. I also need to get the safety prime for mine. Handling each primer, while it works fine and you can still crank out decent amounts of ammo if you dont need hundreds of rounds a week, is just way slower then having a primer handling system.
Old April 25, 2009, 10:12 AM   #69
CrustyFN

B737drvr I would advise you to buy the classic turret over the deluxe turret. It can be used as a single stage press to learn on and then be used in auto index mode to load around 200 rounds per hour. Look at the classic kit at www.kempfgunshop.com, they seem to have the best deal going right now. It would be wise to upgrade to the pro auto disk and both safety primes, only adds $20 to the kit. The only thing you will need to add to the kit is a decent scale and a caliper. I would also add a tumbler but there are other ways to clean brass if you don't want one yet.
Rusty
Old April 25, 2009, 11:01 AM   #70
harry carey

I have not read every post here... no one has asked how many rds per year do you expect to load ? if you might start high volume loading you will do better to buy nothing that is cheap. most loaders load very little so it doesn't matter. I have owned 20 presses over the years and made all the mistakes one can make in equip. I currently use 11 presses 'cause there is no more room for another. I have never used a Lee press as I think it will not handle high volume. I have a Dillon hanging on a tree "cursed is every press that hangeth on a tree " that one never worked properly ( don't even mention their service to me) I suggest Hornady l&l auto progressive. you will need a single stage press one day, for rifle ???
Old April 25, 2009, 06:56 PM   #71
B737drvr

Thanks Rusty. That's good stuff. I checked out Kempf's kits. I have to ask a dumb question...how do those Auto Disk Powder Measures work? So I guess you won't have to measure the powder on a scale? Are those disks pre-set. What if I need to have something like 5.5 grains or 21 grains or something silly like that? Will they "auto-measure" to those specifics? What advantage does upgrading to the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure give me? Thanks for answering the silly questions - just trying to figure out how all this stuff is going to work.
Old April 25, 2009, 07:57 PM   #72
RickV

Quote:
Thanks Rusty. That's good stuff. I checked out Kempf's kits. I have to ask a dumb question...how do those Auto Disk Powder Measures work? So I guess you won't have to measure the powder on a scale? Are those disks pre-set. What if I need to have something like 5.5 grains or 21 grains or something silly like that? Will they "auto-measure" to those specifics? What advantage does upgrading to the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure give me? Thanks for answering the silly questions - just trying to figure out how all this stuff is going to work.
There is a conversion chart. There are 4 disks that have different size holes. You look at the chart and it lists which disk to use for a certain load of a particular powder. I still weigh about every 20 rounds (even though it is always the same). They make a double disk kit for loads outside the range of the disks. I only load pistol and have never had to use the 2 disks with the bigger holes.I beleive that the Pro kit is teflon coated and is the newer model that is what came with my Pro 1000.
Old April 26, 2009, 11:57 AM   #73
James R. Burke

RCBS I am sure the rest are just as good, but great warranty.
Old April 26, 2009, 12:27 PM   #74
Casimer

Quote:
but there is no device to hold the bulk primers.
I use the LEE Use-Your-Fingers Device w/ my turret press, but had tried their safety prime at one point. This proved to be much more trouble than it was worth. I could never get it to feed primers reliably.

At this point my turret press is stripped down so that there's no indexing and no primer feed, though I do have an auto-disk powder measure attached. It's much faster this way and far less problematic.
Old April 26, 2009, 01:08 PM   #75
CrustyFN

Quote:
Thanks Rusty. That's good stuff. I checked out Kempf's kits. I have to ask a dumb question...how do those Auto Disk Powder Measures work? So I guess you won't have to measure the powder on a scale?
Yes you will need to check the powder drop on a scale to make sure of the charge it is throwing. This is what the internals look like.

The post that is sticking up fits into the slot and that is what moves the disk.

As the case is raised into the expanding die the powder measure is activated and drops the powder. It's all automatic once you have the powder drop set correctly.

This video will show you the press in action.
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...20turret-1.wmv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpN9iYOyE8

Rusty