The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2019, 05:24 PM   #1
disseminator

Dies for 500 S&W Magnum

Hey all,

I just bought a 6.5" 500 magnum and want to get some dies for reloading. I usually buy Redding or RCBS dies for handguns and prefer the Redding dies overall. I have the Redding Titanium Carbide Dies for 460 Mag and while I love the quality of the die set, the sizing die is for 45 Colt/454 Casull and as such can oversize the brass to the point there is a noticeable reduction in the OD of the brass that I feel is TOO MUCH.

I contacted Redding and they said to only resize the part I'm going to seat the bullet in. My question is for folks who own the Redding dies for the 500: are you happy with the sizing die and does it exhibit the described behavior?

For anyone who has the RCBS dies: are you happy with them? I have been happy with most of the RCBS dies I have but a few sets I have I don't care for for different reasons.

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2019, 09:38 PM   #2
Dufus

I use standard RCBS dies with mine. They work just fine and I am happy with all of them.
Old May 25, 2019, 05:41 AM   #3
THEWELSHM

Hornady dies here no issues mate..

thewelshm
Old May 25, 2019, 12:36 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

There should be no issue with Redding. They also have the best crimp die for heavy recoiling revolvers, IMHO, in their Profile Crimp die.

Partial resizing is a good option for case life, though you have to realize the heavy crimps needed will lead to mouth splits sooner than you see with some other cartridges.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 25, 2019, 01:41 PM   #5
disseminator

Thanks guys,

I got impulsive and ordered the Redding Titanium Carbide set on sale at Graf's.

I will post back a report once I receive the dies.

Happy loading.
Old May 25, 2019, 02:20 PM   #6
disseminator

Quote:
There should be no issue with Redding. They also have the best crimp die for heavy recoiling revolvers, IMHO, in their Profile Crimp die.
Does the combination seat/crimp die have the same feature as the stand alone crimp die?

Quote:
Partial resizing is a good option for case life, though you have to realize the heavy crimps needed will lead to mouth splits sooner than you see with some other cartridges.
I do understand the heavy crimp is going to take a toll on the brass. In the case of my 460 die set, I stopped using the Redding size die because even if i only size where the bullet will seat, it still ends up looking really weird and the brass is noticeably thinner even after seating the bullet.

I have reverted back to my RCBS Carbide 45 Colt die and haven't had any issues once I got the crimp sorted out. (Early on I wasn't crimping enough)
Old May 28, 2019, 07:53 AM   #7
Constrictor

I use RCBS dies on my 500. no issues.