The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 30, 2017, 02:25 PM   #26
5whiskey

Wood. Rubber does feel better with heavy recoil, but it honestly doesn't feel as good to hold and point as a nice smooth set of wooden grips. Plus wood (done right) is MUCH prettier. Shooting full house .357 with wood grips doesn't bother me too much. 44mag? Yeah I may would have to go with rubber grips with that unless it's a full-size 6" barrel, nearly 4 pound steel frame that soaks up the recoil impulse.
Old August 30, 2017, 09:52 PM   #27
Pathfinder45

Just to put where I'm coming from in perspective: My only revolver is a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt, the original version that can handle the, "Ruger Only", loads. I mostly shoot 255 grain, home-cast bullets. My standard woods-load runs them to about 1075 fps. I shoot them well to around 1,200 fps. Beyond that, I cans shoot well for a little while, but a flinch will develop if I continue for long. I like wood grips and hard rubber too. Visually, I like the contrast of ivory grips on blued steel or something dark on stainless. My stainless Vaquero is currently wearing black, simulated-hard-rubber grips. But I would really like some Buffalo horn or Ebony grips for it.
Old August 31, 2017, 08:49 AM   #28
Longhorn1986

I prefer rubber just because it's easier for me to hang onto. In our summertime heat, my hands sweat more than a Kardashian in an NBA locker room, so I need the extra texture.
Old August 31, 2017, 04:39 PM   #29
ShootistPRS

I like a wood grip on single action "cowboy" guns where the gun recoils in your hand but for a defensive gun I want a hard grip with texture for faster follow up shots. I have fired 44 magnum and 454 Casull guns with western style grips that were easy to handle because they slide in your hand dampening the felt recoil. They are easily brought back on target as you cock the hammer with your left hand. In a self defense gun I want to hold it on target so I want a hard grip with some texture to it so it doesn't slide in a sweaty hand. The hard rubber grips are OK but a stippled wood or grip with fitted finger grooves is better. A soft rubber grip might be comfortable but if it slides in your hand you better make sure that your first shot goes through the brain.

Just my thoughts - your evaluation might be different.
Old August 31, 2017, 04:52 PM   #30
Hawg

I like wood. I don't like soft rubber or T grips. I do have a set of rubber Pachmayr's on my 1911 that feel good. They were wraparounds with a checkered front strap but I cut the front strap off.
Old August 31, 2017, 07:34 PM   #31
tallball

The wooden ones feel good to me on my Blackhawks and Super Blackhawk.
Old September 1, 2017, 04:24 AM   #32
b.thomas

On double action I like rubber best even though I love the look and feel of fine wood.

*On a single action.............anyone using rubber on one, needs to meet a man with short rope for a long drop! Single action revolvers and rubber just don't belong together!
Old September 1, 2017, 06:19 AM   #33
arquebus357

-Switching back and forth between rubber and wood works out well. You really need to remove grips on a regular basis for detail cleaning. I have a question about some wood grip manufacturers though.

Why does Hogue, and some others, completely fill the gap behind the trigger guard ? This pushes the shooter's hand even further down from the bore axis. Why give the revolver even more leverage than it already has ?
Old September 1, 2017, 12:36 PM   #34
rodfac

Quote:
Wood is prettier, but rubber feels better with hot loads!
Very true unless you get perfectly fitted grips....and the kicker is: I can't tell if the grips are going to fulfill that purpose until I try them...an expensive proposition unless you can borrow a friend's piece and try it out. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 1, 2017, 08:39 PM   #35
black mamba

I prefer the rubber Pachmayers without finger grooves.

Old September 1, 2017, 08:51 PM   #36
FrankenMauser

It's a matter of fit, rather than material.

I run wood on the .44s and factory Ruger 'panel' grips on the .480 Ruger.
Old September 2, 2017, 12:35 AM   #37
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
*On a single action.............anyone using rubber on one, needs to meet a man with short rope for a long drop! Single action revolvers and rubber just don't belong together!
So, would your rope be used on all the owners of Colt SAA revolvers with factory (hard) rubber grips??? There's quite a few of them, you know...

I'd recommend you keep that rope coiled, pardner!

Quote:
Why does Hogue, and some others, completely fill the gap behind the trigger guard ?
For me, grips that fill in behind the trigger guard are the solution to getting my middle finger wacked by the triggerguard. I discovered, shooting my 7.5" Blackhawk .45 Colt, that when loads got to about the 1200fps mark, with the factory wood grips, that my middle finger got sore shooting just a cylinderful.

Switching to Pachmayr grips that not only were larger, giving me a better hold, they filled in behind the trigger guard, and eliminated the problem of bashing my middle finger during recoil.

Yes, the gun doesn't roll in the hand AS MUCH as it does with wood grips, but I'm fine with that.
Old September 2, 2017, 08:32 AM   #38
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Yes, the gun doesn't roll in the hand AS MUCH as it does with wood grips, but I'm fine with that.
You know, the whole single action roll in the hand thing was designed for one handed shooting so the gun rolled in the hand for the next cocking action. Shooting two handed is going to change the effects of the design somewhat.
Old September 2, 2017, 02:24 PM   #39
Pond, James Pond

I have Butler Creek rubber grips on my Redhawk.

Understated and made me go from hating shooting my .44 to loving it, along with some good shooting tips from TFL members.
Old September 2, 2017, 03:47 PM   #40
Hanshi

https://ibb.co/mFYQTahttps://thefiringline.com/forums/att...9&d=1504384725
https://ibb.co/mFYQTa
https://ibb.co/mFYQTahttps://ibb.co/.../ibb.co/mFYQTa

I have both on my revolvers; here are a few. I can't seem to get the photos posted but here are the links.

Last edited by Hanshi; September 2, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old September 2, 2017, 06:14 PM   #41
Capt Rick Hiott

Ill bet you a nickel that if you were to put a light glove on (where you couldn't feel what you had in your hand) and were blindfolded,,,,,,you couldn't tell the difference between rubber and wood..........

I shoot a .454..........
Old September 2, 2017, 06:35 PM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
You know, the whole single action roll in the hand thing was designed for one handed shooting so the gun rolled in the hand for the next cocking action.
Because your other hand was expected to be busy with the reins or possibly, a saber!!
Old September 5, 2017, 04:44 AM   #43
U.S.SFC_RET

Rubber on the Smith and Wesson model 29 just so I can keep control after firing. Wood on the Smith and Wesson Model 28.
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.
Old September 7, 2017, 07:47 PM   #44
rclark

Wood for me. Feel good, look good, work good. But then all I shoot mainly is .32 H&R, .357 Mag, .44 Special, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt and black powder revolvers. I suspect if I moved into .454 territory things might be different.... But then why bother? I like to enjoy my shooting sessions, so I stick mainly to .45 Colt, .44 Special, and .357 loads with .22 and .32 mixed in. When I go home my wrist and hands feel just as good as when I came after a couple hundred or more rounds down range.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 7, 2017, 10:07 PM   #45
Mr. Hill

Rubber. Functionality trumps form. At least for my big, skinny, sweaty hands...
Old September 7, 2017, 11:46 PM   #46
rclark

As you can see we all have our own opinion/likes/dislikes. I adhere to function over form too... but with wood (or even bone) I can have it both ways for the revolvers and loads I like to shoot . But plastic and rubber ... non starters for form.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.