The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 15, 2012, 06:50 PM   #1
THERAVEN

How do I takedown a Pietta Lemat

This was writen by member MEC back in 2001: "

The Lemat is not difficult to take down to the major substructures-You put it on half cock, undo the latch at the bottom/front of the frame and unscrew the barrel from the shot barrel. The shot barrel may come off at the same time or separately. cylinder comes off a this point.

removing the side plate and lock work are quite difficult particularly because you need a split spanner type screwdriver blade to loosen the nut that holds the side plate on. The factory generally torques this in place with murderous and unnecessary force.

at the top of this picture, you will see a screwdriver blade that I modified with a file-slow process as I didn't want to use anything to harm the temper. I the heated the area over an open flame and applied force to unscrew the side plate. Only when this is accomplished can you unscrew the screw on the right side of the frame. You need a thin profile screwdriver for this I had to modify one for this job also. There is no need to re-tighten on reassembly.

When he says "You put it on half cock, undo the latch at the bottom/front of the frame". What I am taking for the latch, does not budge. Am I suppose to pull it down or pull the pin out. If there is someone that can help this 62 year old child, he would appreciate it.
Old December 15, 2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Beagle333

retyped from Johnny Bates and Mike Cumpston's book.

"Place the unloaded revolver on half-cock and then pull downward on the barrel latch. (This is at the bottom of the frame and may have the alternative knurled screw feature.)
Then unscrew the Barrel from the Shot barrel and pull forward to remove. Lift out the cylinder. The shot barrel will also unscrew from the breach and may come off with initial cylinder removal.
Remove grips. This is about as far as dismounting can proceed without special tools. Both of our examples and every other LemMat replica we have heard of present a major challenge to disassemble to the degree needed for parts replacement or thorough cleaning."

I can type more from the book if this don't get ya far enough along.

Last edited by Beagle333; December 15, 2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added color
Old December 15, 2012, 09:28 PM   #3
indy1919

I do not know if I can do this but here is a great video on it

I am not wanting to post anything here that should not be posted here, But the Duelist did a great little video with a great brake down segment. And to be honest this is one of the best that I have ever seen.... Thanks Duelist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgnRE1vOzIg
Old December 16, 2012, 08:47 AM   #4
THERAVEN

Thank you

Both of you have surly answered my question. Again I thank you very much.

Last edited by THERAVEN; December 16, 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added another sentence