The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 15, 2012, 01:41 PM   #101
Winchester_73

You want to sell the Colt? They don't bring what you paid anymore, but we could work out something

No one likes Colt and their quality isn't that good compared to Ed Brown.
Old September 15, 2012, 03:27 PM   #102
Marquezj16

Sucks you're having all that trouble. Might be time to send it to a 1911 smith or if not, move on like you said. It's too bad, I was hoping it would work out for you.
Old September 15, 2012, 05:05 PM   #103
Tactical Jackalope

Winchester_73
Quote:
You want to sell the Colt? They don't bring what you paid anymore, but we could work out something

No one likes Colt and their quality isn't that good compared to Ed Brown.
Thanks, thanks a lot. lol..No! I don't want to sell it to you anyways. "No one likes Colt"

Marquezj16
Quote:
Sucks you're having all that trouble. Might be time to send it to a 1911 smith or if not, move on like you said. It's too bad, I was hoping it would work out for you.
Tell me about it brother..Sucks...
Yeah, just might send it out. Locally I can't seem to find a 1911 smith..
Old September 15, 2012, 05:15 PM   #104
MLeake

Some of us like Colt, depending on the Colt.

Sometimes, "improvements" to the basic design are also the source of problems. Bob Hunter helped me identify a problem I was having with a Les Baer UTC, to wit, the way the oversized thumb safety was shaped and angled, if I used a low thumb, I was inadvertently pushing the safety to "safe" when firing strings. To negate the problem, I had switched to high thumb, riding the safety - but again, due to the size and shape, my thumb was causing friction with slide movement, which was causing FTRB issues.

Inadvertent safety on, or induced FTRB, are not good for IDPA scores. They would be even worse, in a self-defense scenario.

So, since sending the gun to Baer would cost shipping and take time, and since I live near Bob; and since Bob had availability at the time, I had Bob mill the safety back down to a near Mil-Spec configuration. I can now shoot with a low thumb, and the safety does not get inadvertently clicked up to "safe." I am not rubbing on the slide, and the UTC is feeding everything, and working like a Swiss watch.

I would note that I never had this problem with original Mil-Spec 1911A1s; I would also note that the more I shoot different types, the more I agree with Bob's idea that minimalist is best for a carry 1911.

Bob is currently working on an old Colt 1911A1 of mine; I bought it from somebody who had apparently tried some shade-tree gunsmithing. Some of it was nice - great stippling on front and back straps - even Bob was impressed. Bob is trying to undo what they did to the feed ramp, however.

FWIW, if Bob has time and availability, I would highly recommend him. He's not only skilled, but he's a very straight shooter.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:36 PM   #105
Winchester_73

I love Colts, really. My problem is when I go to buy something, its crappy even if it was like a Registered Magnum (hey guy listen, people like Pythons better, I'm tellin ya) but when I go to sell, its usually the greatest gun of all time

I never had your kind of problems. Its something that the right guy needs to fix and then it will be smooth sailing.

When I brought up the Ed Brown thing, I was just tryin to talk your price down

Last edited by Winchester_73; September 16, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:47 PM   #106
Tactical Jackalope

MLeake, nice! I've been talking to Bob via email, and he's actually also helped me out tremendously on where my head is going at with this thing. I have half a brain to send it one over to him. It needs to be fixed..I can't stand having any one of my guns out of commission.

Winchester_73 LMAO nice! Good tactic. Sorry, internet text distorts the sarcasm and hides the tone and body language. I swear I would have caught that. I'm thinking about it. It's just a hard thing to do selling this thing off. O_O
Old September 17, 2012, 08:46 AM   #107
Nathan

Trouble happens and sometimes even to Colts.

I would however bet my bottom dollar that a new extractor cannot be put it a gun without fitting and tensioning, if one expects flawless extraction.

You also have a small ejection port. That is a small target to hit when ejection tuning. It can sometimes be done though. It would not be wasted money to pay to have this opened.

Last, sometimes the ejector needs tuned to hit the port right.

Get the gun to someone like Bob who know's these things. If you have a regional or national guy near you, go there. If not, ship it out. There is a reason why little known no name guys remain that way. They are not known for their 1911 work.

Often Colt or other mfgr's hit the nail on the head and check it with the 1-3 shots they fire. Sometimes things need a bit more time in skilled hands. Used guns often end up used for this reason.

Last, nobody should do ejection tuning on a 1911 without a new recoil spring. If feed tuning, add a known good mag with a new spring. A mainspring might not be a bad idea since this gun appears fiddled with.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:58 AM   #108
Tactical Jackalope

Nathan. I agree 110% I really want to ship this gun out to Bob Hunter.

Really want this thing to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 17, 2012, 10:37 AM   #109
Nathan

Also, a quick perspective for you. If I could scrounge up $600, I would still pay you that for the gun in it's current condition and so would many other on here! That is shipped, including my FFL fees of course!!!
Old September 17, 2012, 10:52 AM   #110
Tactical Jackalope

Nathan -
Quote:
Also, a quick perspective for you. If I could scrounge up $600, I would still pay you that for the gun in it's current condition and so would many other on here! That is shipped, including my FFL fees of course!!!

O_O may I keep you in mind? lol....

I know..love that gun. Really do. I hope it gets fixed. I really trust Bob Hunters work.

If he touches that gun...I'll never sell it
Old September 17, 2012, 10:57 AM   #111
Winchester_73

Quote:
O_O may I keep you in mind? lol....

I know..love that gun. Really do. I hope it gets fixed. I really trust Bob Hunters work.

If he touches that gun...I'll never sell it
But who knows with a guy like nathan. My offer of $400 is much more genuine and you should feel guilty if someone gives you $600 for your $400 Colt anyways. What happened to ethics in today's society?

Just give me payment info. I would appreciate it if you could cover the shipping yourself since my offer was more than generous.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:06 AM   #112
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
But who knows with a guy like nathan. My offer of $400 is much more genuine and you should feel guilty if someone gives you $600 for your $400 Colt anyways. What happened to ethics in today's society?

Just give me payment info. I would appreciate it if you could cover the shipping yourself since my offer was more than generous

lmao! I'll keep you in mind if Nate falls through yeah? But you have to work on that offer just a tad bit yeah?

Fresh man..pay the shipping too? ha! lol

Really won't sell it at all if Bob works on it...I keep my sentimental value on guns I feel them for for personal reasons.

Glock 22..first gun with the BHP. which was from my dad. Model 19, from Uncle Aussie Joe. Hk USP 40 trade with another uncle. blah blah blah..I can go on with ones that aren't involving a 3rd person. Just my feelings. But who cares right?

Bob...will be added to this list. It'll look like this..

"Can't sell you my Colt 70 Series! Bob Hunter worked on it and it's immaculate! Are you crazy?!" - Future Constantine Paul statement.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:00 AM   #113
Tactical Jackalope

Well.... sent my gun up to Bob Hunter at www.huntercustoms.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2