The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 24, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Dirty_Harry

SA 19911 Mil Spec

Any of you guys ow this gun? I just picked one up at the local Gander Mountain, and I was wondering how they shoot and longevity.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old February 24, 2008, 08:21 PM   #2
kristop64089

You mean this one?

I love it, but to be honest, I never shoot it. I am going to replace some appearance parts(hammer and beavertail) but I really love the looks of these guns.
Old February 24, 2008, 08:35 PM   #3
wjkuleck

Mine had zero (0) extractor tension out of the box, but otherwise seemed OK.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old February 24, 2008, 09:49 PM   #4
Casimer

The Mil-Specs have a good reputation for their build quality and the quality of the metallurgy of their frames. They're popular base guns for hardball pistols. Mine is a NM series and is surprisingly well fitted for its cost.

Their weak point IMO is their stock trigger, but that's not difficult to remedy.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Dirty_Harry

I did notice the trigger was awfully heavy, along with the gun...wow. I can't wait to shoot it. kristop64089, mine is all blued...the dark gay.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old February 25, 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
mordis

I own a blued one, all stock. Great shooter, the slide is kinda loose(side to side play)but dead stone reliable. I do plan on getting some custom work done tho.
Old February 25, 2008, 08:19 PM   #7
RPSmith

Love mine

It is the parkerized edition. For me, the weak point is the sights. And it's heavy as heck.

That said, not one feeding or firing issue in almost 2000 rounds. Eats anything and goes bang, EVERY SINGLE TIME!

It was my first auto and I doubt I'll ever part with it.
Old February 25, 2008, 08:41 PM   #8
blume357

Some how a few years ago I ended up with two... one

parkerized and the other stainless steel. All I can say is when you hold and shoot them you know you have a goodly hunk of iron in your hand and are throwing a chunk of lead down range....

here's my 45acp collection:

Old February 25, 2008, 10:10 PM   #9
Dirty_Harry

I used to have a camp carbine! But it was 9mm, loved that gun. I can't wait to go out and shoot it. I will probably do some Friday. I wil let you guys know about the range report.

Old February 26, 2008, 06:55 AM   #10
blume357

What happened to me was about two or three years ago

I had too much money... I'm really a 9mm fan..but I saw an add I think in the classifieds here on the fireing line from my home state of S.C. for a SA 1911... I think the guy wanted $400... so I emailed him... seemes he lived in the same town and we met up... and I bought it.... then a month later another add... stainless steel one and the guy selling this one is in the next town over and wants to sell it fast... he really wants to pick up some $800 motorcycle helmet he has on layaway... I never realized helmets cost so much... so I drive over and give him $400. There I am with two 1911s and I'm not even a fan of them... still not... but what do you do when you have two pistols of the same caliber?... If they make it, find a rifle that shoots the same ammo and uses the same magazines of course! Really funny part is I bought the Choate folding stock for the 45 Camp Carbine almost a year before I found the rifle.

If you are going the 1911 route, you'll like the Springfields.