The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2008, 01:22 PM   #1
KCabbage

Various Night Sight Setups for Pistol

Greetings all.

I currently have a 3-dot night sight set which I like very much.
I am getting a S&W 1066 soon and want to equip it too with night sights.
I do know their are various configurations of the sights including: 3-dot,
bar and dot, dot over dot, and box and dot. Do any of you have experience with the last three setups and what do you think. Quicker sight alignment, accuracy, brightness of the bar and box, and whatever else comes to mind.

Also, Novak's has ghost sights with dot and bar setups, what are your opinions on those. I feel you would probably get the quickest sight alignment with the ghost sights, but does that sacrifice accuracy?

Lastly, are their any good alternatives to the Novak sights. I'm not really into the fiber optic rod dealies but opinions are welcome. On the Novak sight note, are there any better deals than $144 from Novak's own website?

I would really appreciate your help guys and gals.
Take care
Old February 5, 2008, 04:36 PM   #2
parrothead2581

I love Novak sights, but I don't have any of them in Night Sights. I have Trijicon and Meprolights. I prefer the size of the dots on the Mepros.

I have three dots on all of my setups, however, I'm beginning to think a front sight only night sight may have been the way to go. It would seemingly draw the eye to the front sight more rapidly, A brighter colored front sight versus the rear sights may be the way to go (i.e. green and orange, green and yellow)

Best of luck!
Old February 5, 2008, 06:39 PM   #3
PPGMD

My prefered rear site are the Trijicon yellow sights, it provides color contrast between the front and rear sites, and they are small enough that they don't draw your eyes to them.

For front sites, I like either the TFO green front site, Trijicon normal green front site.

The TFO glow brighter outside to draw your eye to the front site they also don't have the white ring. The larger Trijicons do the same but they aren't nearly as good.