The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 15, 2007, 08:48 PM   #1
jsr76

Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Has anyone tried these sweet looking new rifles with their new trigger?
Old June 16, 2007, 04:55 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Borrowed one of the Alaskans with Hogue stock in .375 Ruger. Impressed me enough to keep.
The trigger was no noticeable improvement as far as I could tell.
Denis
Old June 16, 2007, 06:24 PM   #3
mathman

I had a Ruger M77 (not the Hawkeye) and it was not accurate at all...it shot about 4 to 5 inches at 100 yards. I sent it in to Ruger and they 'fixed it'...it now shoots 7 to 8 inches at 100 yards. So, my opinion is biased, but I will never buy a Ruger rifle again...Hawkeye or not.
Old June 16, 2007, 10:13 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

This Hawkeye, out of the box and off a rest using express iron sights, held two three-shot 100 groups under three inches and one three-shot group under two inches.
Accuracy is not a problem with it.
Denis
Old June 17, 2007, 01:36 AM   #5
FJR1300

I've only tried one in the store, but I thought it was the best trigger I've felt on a Ruger- big improvement, though still not up with the best. Sorry to hear about the accuracy.
Old June 18, 2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Mike Baugh

I have two of them in .308.

One is blue / wood and the other is stainless / synthetic. I have only fired my blue one and it shoots fine for what it is, a lightweight hunting rifle. I tried several different brands of ammo and at 100 yards from a rest it shot 3 shot groups of 1.25" with Fedral 165 grain Fusion and Federal 168 BTHP match, 1.3" with Federal 165 grain Barnes TSX and 2.2" with Federal 180 grain Nosler Partitions. I only have 24 rounds through it so hopefully it settles in a little better.

I am not used to shooting a rifle this light [my other rifles were all 14lb GAP tactical rifles] so my form is not what it should be.

I am VERY impressed with the trigger, it is the best I have ever had on a factory rifle. The blue one breaks clean with no creep at 4lbs and the stainless one breaks clean with no creep at 3.5lbs.

I had a Ruger 77 in 7mm mag a few years ago and it would only do about 3" @ 100 yards no matter what you fed it.
Old June 18, 2007, 11:11 PM   #7
M14fan

Not familiar with the Hawkeye but my M77VTs will shoot one-hole groups at 100 yards (fired from a fixed rest) though I cannot hold it steadier than 3/4-1inch shooting off a bipod.
Old June 19, 2007, 09:25 PM   #8
bottom rung

I have a stainless Hawkeye in .30-06. I like it a lot. Fit and finish is good. I was getting one inch groups with it at 100 yards, before I started flinching. I was using 180gr Federal Power-Shoks. I would buy another Ruger. The trigger is very crisp, no creep at all. The recoil pad actually works on these new Hawkeyes too. My trigger breaks around 4.5-5 pounds if I had to guess. I think they make great hunting rifles.
Old June 20, 2007, 08:17 AM   #9
All in moderation

I just bought one in a 308 stainless syn. haven't shot it yet since I am waiting for my scope to arrive. I bought the rifle for Rocky Mountain elk hunting. The trigger is excellent as far as creep and over travel, breaks very crisp, but I have to say the pull is the heaviest I have ever experienced (haven't measured yet but would say over 5 lbs). Don't buy the Rugger Hawkeye if you are expecting a sniper/target rifle, trigger is not adjustable. Except for the trigger, the rifle is awesome, I love it. I will update on the accuracy once my scope arrives.
Old June 20, 2007, 10:33 AM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

Trigger on mine is 4 pounds, clean, with a bit of overtravel.
It's not bad at all, and just about right for the dangerous game role, just nothing truly exceptional. But, admittedly, I may be slightly biased by the triggers on my .30-06 International & .45-70 #1, both of which break at under three pounds.
Denis
Old June 20, 2007, 01:52 PM   #11
Mike Baugh

My stainless one has a faint stain about the size of a quarter just in front of the receiver on the barrel, right where the taper kicks in.

I took Gun Scrubber, Sheath and Breakfree to it and about 70% of it came off. You have to look for it to see it but it is still there. It is under the scope bell and is no big deal but I wondered if any of your guys stainless rifles had a similar stain?

I called Ruger and they said to go and shoot it and make sure everything else was OK and then if I wanted to I could send it back in and they would look at it.

They do have great customer service.

I like these enough that I am going to order another one, I just need to decide on a caliber.

Mike
Old June 29, 2007, 10:13 PM   #12
bottom rung

Get the new .338 Federal. I wish I did. Now I have to wait.
Old November 25, 2007, 12:53 PM   #13
All in moderation

I was shooting in the desert yesterday. My rifle described above is capable of 1 1/8" groups at 105 yards with remington umc ammo. This excites me because with hand loads the rifle should group even better than this. For a short light weight rifle, I am truely very surprised at the accuracy. The bad news though is I had some flyers that where unacceptable, so once I returned home I took the action off of the stock and found that the front sling stud was protruding through the stock and touching the bottom of the barrel enough to leave a wear mark. I hope this was the cause of the flyers, since this would be a simple fix. Either the trigger is wearing in at a much lighter pull than originally thought or I am just getting use to it. Use to need a tow truck to pull the trigger, now it surprises me when releasing. The fit of the rifle is the best I have ever had from a production rifle and if I have fixed the flyer problems, this could be the first rifle that I have ever owned to make it into my hunting camp without any after market adjusting.
Old November 25, 2007, 01:14 PM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

One of the things that appealed to me about my .375 Hawkeye was the fact that all I needed to do to it was install a sling.
Sights are perfect for its intended function, trigger's nothing special but good enough for that rifle's role, and the recoil pad is usable.
Denis
Old November 25, 2007, 06:28 PM   #15
bodab

I Have one in 7 mag with a 3x9x40 zeiss. SHOOTS good. kills deer dead. what else could i ask for? I want a hogue overmolded stock for it. But i need to know if the m77 stock and the m77 hawkeye stock are the same.
Old November 26, 2007, 10:43 PM   #16
bottom rung

I think the profile of the stock is different, but all the important stuff like screws and holes for the screws should still be the same. By the way, on September 30th 2007 at 6:15 pm a 900lb bull moose fell to the .30-06 Hawkeye. I think I really like this one. The finish marks up easily, though.
Old November 26, 2007, 11:56 PM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

Ruger announced left-handed versions today.
Denis
Old November 27, 2007, 01:57 AM   #18
ruger01

Bought a .223 stainless synthetic version "Hawkeye" and am very happy with it, i haven't touch the trigger out of the box as it feels great the way it was from new. I had heard people saying some Rugers weren't that accuarate out of the box, this rifle is twice as accurate as i am very happy almost as happy with it as the CZ!

Ruger01.