The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 18, 2005, 02:37 AM   #1
SVDEP140

870 for 3 gun matches

I'm interested in getting into 3 gun competition. I was wondering if I could shoot the shotgun portion with a Remington 870 police model and be competitive? the people I speak with locally say that I will get smoked if I try to use a pump gun against semi autos. Any thoughts?
Old June 18, 2005, 02:54 AM   #2
yorec

If you've already got an 870 - try it! Worse thing that could happen is you do get smoked and wind up with a really good excuse to go semi-auto shoppin'!

And if not - ya got some braggin' rights, eh?
Old June 18, 2005, 03:36 AM   #3
SVDEP140

Thats true, I'm pretty comfortable with the 870, not so much with an auto.
Do you shoot 3 gun?
Old June 18, 2005, 03:49 AM   #4
yorec

Nope - still looking to get into my first 3 gun match! But I've shot other combat style shotgun matches, have used a Mossberg 500 and Remington's 870 and 11-87. I like 'em all. 3 gun looks to be a lot of fun... One day my schedule will fall right and I'll get to one! I'll take my 11-87...
Old June 18, 2005, 06:29 AM   #5
Christopher II

Will you be competitive? Probably not. Certainly not if it's your first tri-gun match - you could show up with ten grand worth of custom guns and you'll still spend the first few matches stumbling around. I guarantee it.

Can you shoot a stock 870P and make a good showing? Sure. You'll be giving up speed and magazine capacity to the guys with semis. Doesn't mean you won't give them a run for their money.

If you want to make your pump gun more competitive, it'll need interchangeable choke tubes, a 22" barrel, and the longest magazine tube that you can get away with under the rules. Depending on the exact game you're playing, you want to have at least 8 rounds in the tube, one in the chamber. Do that, and you'll be giving up very little if anything to the semi-auto guys.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old June 22, 2005, 06:07 PM   #6
RickB

Shooting speed doesn't matter as much as reloading speed. I've shot very few shotgun stages that didn't require a reload, and there's a lot more time to be "found" in reloading technique than in shot-to-shot. A pumpgun can be very competitive, as long as the mag has sufficient capacity.