The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 1999, 03:46 PM   #1
JackNKoch

Greetings TFL'ers
This is my first new post. I am mainly into handguns. However, I "needed" a good all-around shotgun for hunting (rabbits, dove, whitetail, goose). I purchased a Remington 870 Super Magnum Special Purpose (3.5 chamber 12 gauge pump, 26" VR with interchangeable chokes, synthetic stock and full camo finish).
I'm going after cottontail with it tomorrow. I attached the sling, added a shell carrier on the stock, and left the modified choke in the barrel.
I am confused, though, if this gun is based on the Wingmaster or Express series. What are the differences, if any. The only concern so far involves the plastic trigger guard. ( Isn't this considered a weakness on most Mossbergs?)
Also, how about shooting standard (Foster type?) or Brenneke full diameter slugs through this gun? I believe Remington makes a rifled choke tube and aftermarket rifle sights can be attached to the vent rib. Can anyone comment on a similar setup?
Thanks for any responses. Happy New Year!

Old December 27, 1999, 07:05 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I tried the aftermarket sights that mount on the vent rib and didn't like them.You may differ, but a separate bbl with better sights is not that expensive.

Also, after a few years, you may want a dedicated whitetail shotgun, set up with a scope or peep sights. I have 3 870s,one tactical, one for deer and one for birds. Daughter has a 20 ga Youth Express also.

Ain't no such thing as having too many 870s(G)...

The only difference between the Express and Wingmaster is cosmetic, all parts are interchangable.

That bbl will handle any slug on the market. One thing, there's not a deer in the US that can tell whether he was hit with a 3 inch mag lug or a mere 2 3/4 one. Test a messa ammo from the bench and choose the tightest grouping one. The Rem chokes work OK with Brennekes and Forsters, accuracy with sabots is touch and go.

Also, while on the subject, the most common cause of slug inaccuracy with pumps is the bbl being just a tad loose. Grab your weapon by the grip and bbl. Try to move the bbl. If it moves, it's too lose for slugs, tho may be perfectly safe and effective with shot. Tighten as much as possible by hand,then use padded channelocks to tighten the mag nut ONE click, no more. That should remove all the slop and tighten your groups big time.

Hope this helps...
Old December 27, 1999, 12:07 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Rem's Copper Solid slugs say only use in rifled (either full bbl or choke). Could cause damage/serious injury when used in fixed or screw-in full, mod or imp cyl. Little letters on the flap. Seems if this was a real concern, they'd have it printed in much bigger lettering.

Beats me but an FYI.