The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2017, 12:39 PM   #26
WVsig

Quote:
The 22/45 is a very good gun and the equal of any other Ruger. The frame is made of Zytel and is not polymer.

More what I was wondering was why more 22s, that can challenge the offerings by Ruger, S&W and others, aren't made in polymer. Not a market for them? Not simple to do? Some factor that keeps what there is out there in the plinking class of 22s?

tipoc
The market is already satisfied with the products already in the marketplace. There is also not a lot of growth in that segment of sports shooting. The growth is in the IPDA type gun games.

As others have pointed out the polymer frame greatly restricts the customization that one can do to a pistol. To squeeze out ever bit of accuracy out of a target pistol it has to be fitted to the shooter. This is almost impossible with a polymer gun.
Old September 13, 2017, 06:43 PM   #27
tallball

I have owned very many firearms.

The Sig Mosquito was easily the worst.
Old September 13, 2017, 06:59 PM   #28
t45

The thing about the Sig Mosquito is that most guns that were said to be unreliable were where people were not using mini mags that was suggested by Sig and using what they could get their hands on. It also came with 2 recoil springs to help match the ammo used. As said mine is very reliable as long as you keep it cleaned and oiled while using ammo it likes. It is very much a plinker and a fun plinker at that. If you want accuracy, reliability and higher end workmanship, go with Ruger or Browning.
Old September 14, 2017, 05:31 PM   #29
batmann

I have had a Ruger SR22 and I really liked I'd it until the slide release lever broke.
My recommendation for a polymer framed .22 LR is a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 Compact. I emphasize the Compact version. It is actually made by S&W and mine is an absolutely great shooter and has been very reliable with various kinds of .22 LR ammo. Including some off shore stuff whose names I can't pronounce! Lol
Again, the Compact not the larger version.
Old September 14, 2017, 07:09 PM   #30
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The thing about the Sig Mosquito is that most guns that were said to be unreliable were where people were not using mini mags that was suggested by Sig and using what they could get their hands on.
That is the exact thing that a good friend, and shooting buddy discovered. As long as you use MiniMags his Mosquito performed perfectly.
So much so that a Mosquito is on my secondary short list. The list of guns that interest me, but not as much as my primary list. Kind of a list of "if the price is right, and I'm in the mood to buy something".
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 14, 2017, 11:43 PM   #31
Ibmikey

My S&W M&P Compact has taken many Texas hogs and my buddy's with a suppressor has taken dozens, the pistol is sturdy, handles well and totally reliable.
Old September 15, 2017, 02:36 AM   #32
tipoc

Sorry to ask but, you say you've been shooting hogs with your M&P Compact in 22 l.r.? And your buddy has taken dozens with a suppressed 22?

Okay.

tipoc