The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Dreaming100Straight

Question of Geometry

Here is a what I think to be a tough gun fit question to resolve.

Assume the gun in question has a parallel comb, a LOP of 1 1/4", and when mounted the distance from the right lens of the shooter's glasses to the thumb knuckle of his right hand is 1 1/8". As is, the shooter turns his head into the gun so as to better position his right eye behind with the middle of the rib. Even then, gun fit is not quite right and the gun tends to point a hair to the left.

What will the addition of an adjustable pad ( an "AP"), such as the 100Straight, do if the same thickness recoil pad is used? Assume the thickness of the pad adjuster to be .299". I suspect it will move the shooting lens back to where there is approximately 2 1/4" from thumb to lens.

However, will the addition of cast off with an Adjustable Comb (an "AC") permit the shooter's face to turn toward the target and will that tend to reduce thumb knuckle to lens distance.

Add to the mix the effect, if any, of using the AP to raise the entire gun approximately 3/4" from where it is currently mounted along with raising the comb 2/16 to 3/16".

I think this would be a tough scenario to approximate, but watch some of the veteran shooters figure it out.
Old November 10, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

You are WAY overthinking this again Dreamin'...........

Mount gun, focus on target, shoot target, go home happy. If the gun fits, then everything in the Universe's karma will be right
Old November 10, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

I AM NOT WAY OVERTHINKING. This time I am in ultra warp speed hyper-overthinking mode. Actually, when on the line I am just getting to where I should have been all along. As you say, mount, focus on target and shoot.
Old November 10, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
zippy13

D100S...
Our friend, Big D, expressed it perfectly. You need to drop out of warp drive, and keep your eye on the target.
Old November 10, 2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Hawg

Don't forget follow through on moving targets and don't stop your swing to shoot.
Old November 10, 2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

I had a very bad habit of that, Hawg. I think I have it pretty well licked, but now an then I realize I am starting to aim the gun and I force myself to concentrate on the target, swinging to it and slapping the trigger even if I may think I think I am off target.
Old November 10, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Dreaming100Straight

Zippy, soon I will burn the warp drives up and switch to photon power.
Old November 10, 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

God help you when you start trying skeet, let alone 5-stand, let alone Sporting Clays, let alone FITASC, then Helice............
Old November 11, 2013, 02:03 AM   #9
Dreaming100Straight

Think of how safe those skeet will be with me on the post.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Virginian

You can buy stocks with adjustable combs, and adjustable buttplates, to get just about any configuration imaginable. But, if you do that, I suspect you won't have time for shooting with all the adjusting going on.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Chaz88

If regular skeet is not humbling enough for you go shoot some international skeet. I am getting to old to see that fast. I often shoot the first target then ask if the second was a no bird. It usually came out but landed before I could shoot the first target and then locate it.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 11, 2013, 11:01 AM   #12
BigD_in_FL

I shoot with an older gent who was the IS champion of Puerto Rico in his youth and to this day STILL holds his gun at the waist for every shooting discipline - skeet, 5-stand, sporting and FITASC. He has a very smooth mount and is very successful - if you can perfect THAT, then you can shoot about anything with ease
Old November 11, 2013, 12:38 PM   #13
BigJimP

Shave the hair off your knuckles ....to give yourself another 1/8" of clearance...( or your nose ) ...or both...
-----------
Wow ....../ I think you're pretty deep into the weeds too on this one ....
-----------
But part of where I think you're making a mistake is "moving your head"...you don't want to move your head / you want to shift your eyes, without moving your head.

But first things first...get the adjustable comb set / on or off cast - and height --- so the gun shoots where you look ( full choke / shoot at a 3" dot at 21 yds ).....and make sure / shoot 3 or 4 shells.../ rest a few minutes -- do it again ..../ make adjustments / do it again ..../ and make sure you're length of pull at 14 3/8" ...or 14 1/2" ...or whatever you need gives you the clearance you need so you're not bumping your thumb on the gun...as it recoils ( or its too short )...

Once the gun is set ....then go back to the fundamentals...( and quit moving your head )...
Old November 11, 2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Dreaming100Straight

Dropped the gun off to have the adjustable comb cut. The gunsmith thought my LOP is fine and doesn't want to change that. Nor does he see any reason for an adjustable butt plate. Actually, he thought I should keep the gun as is for everything but Trap and get a single barrel trap gun. He did think I should get a better pad such as a decelerator or kickeez.

I don't move my head when shooting, but when mounting I turn my head slightly to the right in order to place my right eye behind the beads; something which I shouldn't need to do with proper cast, which is one reason for the adjustable comb. This turning to the right thing introduces another variable that can result in inconsistent mounts.

Perhaps I should have done like a little birdie said long ago (or was it a great big buffalo) and got a gun with a factory AC? Don't cry, Jim. I am complimenting you.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; November 11, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old November 11, 2013, 07:49 PM   #15
BigJimP

Ok, I'm just laughing..../ you're about the 3rd shooter that has told me that same thing, in the last 4 or 5 years.../ after I suggested they buy an XS- Skeet Citori.... / ...and thanks for the compliment.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=013&tid=066

so everybody knows what we're talking about / there are some Beretta and Perazzi guys that hang out around here too....???

---------
and rather than a single barrel trap gun ( that might be a lot lighter than your XS Skeet ) I'd seriously suggest the Citori XT-Trap -- " with the adjustable comb".... .....in a 32"....( not the 30"....)....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=013&tid=057

or consider one of these...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=013&tid=228

-------------
Just trying to help spend your money buddy !!

and congratulations on finally coming around on the merits of the adjustable parallel comb .....
Old November 11, 2013, 07:54 PM   #16
BigJimP

As you know, I'm not a serious Trap shooter....but a guy needs one good versatile Trap gun....( I think ) ....and the XT lets me shoot Trap singles, Trap Doubles and Continental Trap ...with one gun !!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...8&d=1226348855

Shotguns 11-10-08 016.jpg

My Citori XT's ...both 32".../ I gave the darker one to my youngest son this summer...and he loves it ! But I'm keeping the XT with the upgraded stock and the Gracoil .../ its basically the gold version without the engraving...

----------------
and like I say often, make sure you have fun with the process !!
Old November 11, 2013, 08:30 PM   #17
Dreaming100Straight

I pulled the pin and am having the adjustable comb cut. I am also having an inch thick KickEez installed. This is costing more than I paid out the door for my 870, and that included DROSS!

Meanwhile, I may take a page from the Book of Slugo a good deal on a used gun pops up.
Old November 12, 2013, 02:53 AM   #18
340 Weatherby

Okay Dreamer, I got about halfway through the original post when my eyes started tearing up. I had to take a break and come back later before I could continue. The right answer is just bring money, 300 and I can solve all your gun problems.
Old November 12, 2013, 03:06 AM   #19
Dreaming100Straight

I know the Weatherby method. Buy it, shoot it, and if it doesn't fit buy another and it goes on and on. Just behave and I may let you two play with the new gadgets on my old toy when I get it back.
Old November 12, 2013, 03:17 AM   #20
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
Shave the hair off your knuckles
I was tempted to comment on knuckle draggers but don't want to pick on a sensitive big guy. sniff.
Old November 12, 2013, 02:03 PM   #21
BigJimP

and not to be an echo .....but if it doesn't work...sell it and buy something else ....!! ( I like that idea )....
Old November 12, 2013, 03:43 PM   #22
Dreaming100Straight

C'mon, Jim. We know you really want to be an Echo (a mountain nymph of Greek mythology).

Old November 12, 2013, 07:33 PM   #23
zippy13

Humm… is there an Echo season in Big Jim's corner of the woods?