The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Bisch77

Dillon powder charge issues

I have the dillon 650 and have loaded a few thousand 9/45 using WIN231 with no issues. But I just changed to Unique and now I'm getting some whack numbers. I started with 5gr but would get 4.7, 4.3, 5.3, .4, and completely empty. I tried adjustment of the bar and hopper bevel but nothing seems to be working. Al cases are the same length so it's not the cases. Has anyone experienced similar issues?
Old September 24, 2018, 01:19 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. Dillon's customer service is on par with RCBS'. However, it's not usual for a powder thrower to be a bit daft with different powders. Been a while since I've used Unique, but I thinks it's flake powder? That'll do it.
Alliant doesn't show any Unique data for .30 Carbine. 5 grains sounds decidedly light though. Been loading nothing but 110 grain jacketed bullets with IMR4227 for eons. Max load is currently 14.5 grains.
Old September 24, 2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Bisch77

Yes, its flake. But so was WIN231 which worked amazingly well. However, Unique does seem to be bigger flakes. I have to keep stirring the hopper to get good charges. It sucks because I used to get one pound cans but decided to go 8 for Unique....Well now I know, I was just hoping it wasn't my equipment and just the powder. And yes I was going light on the powder because I wanted it to stretch due to me loading so much.
Old September 24, 2018, 01:46 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Welcome to TFL Bisch77.

Since you're new, can we have some personal background? We're curious how much loading experience you have? How long you've been using your 650? And most importantly for me, how much experience do you have with Unique?

Unique is a fluffy, large flake powder and is notorious for wonky powder charge drops. I can't answer your question directly as I don't have a 650. I have a 550BL and prime and charge off press. Your problem is one of the reasons why. Your problem is also one of the reasons why I'm going to discontinue using Unique as soon as I exhaust this last # I currently possess. It's not likely I will ever be comfortable with the thought of charging (or priming) on the press. I want to do these process by hand and be able to view my work before proceeding.

I do hope someone with a 650 can teach us a trick of the trade for consistent Unique powder drops.
Old September 24, 2018, 02:35 PM   #5
Bisch77

Thanks for the welcome. I've only been reloading for about a year. Started with Lee LoadMaster, it was a great learning experience on the process of reloading. Because at every step something was going wrong. Moved to Dillon 650 and love it. I have a single stage that I do 7mmrm /45-70 and now 204 ruger. I will be using the Unique for 45-70 and maybe play with 204 loads. But I too do not feel comfortable with the progressive press and Unique, even with powder check station. I have a new 8lbs can of the stuff, and with only a 15-20gr charge...that there is a ton of 45-70.
Old September 24, 2018, 04:43 PM   #6
LineStretcher

Theres a couple of things you can do to help with Unique. First, wash your powder measure with dish soap and let it dry without rinsing. Second, get a large fender washer and place it in the hopper on top of the powder. Third, go to uniqutek.com and order their calibrated powder block and finally if none of that works, get a small aquarium pump and duct tape it to the hopper then plug it in when reloading. You just want the vibration. The first three worked for me, my buddy went with RCBS adapter. Some one else told me about the aquarium pump but I never tried it.

If you dont mind adding another step to the process they also make an adapter for the RCBS powder measure but you have to pull the handle each throw.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:27 PM   #7
BBarn

Unique has a tendency toward what you are experiencing. Some reloaders like the powder enough to find ways to make it work for them. And some claim that the powder performs well despite some variation in charge weight. Myself, I've chosen to use other powders.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:47 PM   #8
Jim Watson

I went the air pump/vibrator route to load 700X. It was good enough to let me use up most of what I had left, retaining only one can in case I decide 12 gauge is worth reloading again, but then it was straight back to HP38 with a little sideline in Bullseye.

By the way, W231 is not technically a flake powder, it is a Ball powder, rolled flat for burn rate control. Still smaller and smoother than Unique or 700X and much better in the volumetric measure.
Old September 26, 2018, 03:59 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Ditto the above several posts. Unique's large flakes are prone to doing what is called "bridging", where the flakes interlock like cards in mid-shuffle and create a bridge across the opening of the metering chamber, interfering with the flow of powder. These bridges are randomly complete, hence the random variation. As mentioned earlier, vibration can help break up the bridges. The flakes can also stack like pancakes and jam operation of the measure temporarily.

I have one friend who swears he can throw Unique to 0.1 grains accuracy from an RCBS drum measure by being extremely careful to be consistent, but I've never been able to achieve that level of precision with it. It's almost best to relegate it to use in one of the automatic weighing powder dispensers. I've not found another way to be sure exactly how much I was throwing.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 26, 2018, 06:02 PM   #10
joed

Unclenick is correct. I ran into the same problem with Unique and couldn't trust the charges it throws. Finally quit using it and switched to Universal. Only powder I ever had problems with in the Dillon.
Old September 27, 2018, 09:25 PM   #11
Eddietruett

I encountered the same problems with Unique with my Dillon 650. Never been the big fan of Unique like a lot of loaders, but have used it off and on for 30+ years. When I had trouble with the metering on the 650, I did what joed did. I switched to Universal. You can use basically the same data. It burns cleaner and for me the accuracy is as good if not better. 90% of the time my Dillon says set on 5.0gr of Universal and I just change bullets. I shoot a lot of .38 with 130gr and 158gr coated lead bullets using the same charge. Both very accurate
Old September 30, 2018, 08:14 AM   #12
LE-28

I've had the same problem with Unique in every powder measure I have. I have to use my Auto charge to use it and be accurate.
There are two many good powders in the same heat range to put up with it for me.
Old September 30, 2018, 09:00 AM   #13
Don P

Quote:
But I just changed to Unique and now I'm getting some whack numbers.
Unique is not known for metering well
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 1, 2018, 05:16 PM   #14
PA-Joe

Some other recommendations: Are you using a baffle inside of the powder tube?
Are you double taping on both the up and down strokes. Consistently double taping helps the powder to drop into the metering chamber and then helps knock it all out and into the case.
Old October 2, 2018, 11:52 AM   #15
AzShooter

I have never had a problem with Unique. For one of my bullet combinations it proved to be the most accurate load I've ever tried using 4.5 grains with a 185 grain bullet in my .38 Specials.

You have to maintain your stroke on the up and down stroke. Changing your timing will change the amount of powder dropped.

Call Dillon. They will answer your question and tell you what you need to do. Great bunch of guys there.

I've been loading on Dillon machines for almost 30 years, starting with their old Model 300.
Old October 2, 2018, 03:54 PM   #16
drain smith

Damn, I wish I had known about the air pump trick before I went to the "naughty store". My girls still tease me and it has been three years.
Old October 3, 2018, 08:30 AM   #17
jmorris

For a tenth or two, I would blame it on the powder. However that’s not wat I am reading in the OP. Throwing a grain different and squibs is a different problem.

Get your manual out and turn to page 56, remove your measure and make sure part #13845 in in there. If you turn the measure over to look make sure you hold the cap on so you don’t dump powder out.

The bushing is white. If it’s not there look in the last container you returned powder to.

If you don’t have your manual it’s here.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/XL650v6p1.pdf
Old October 3, 2018, 08:29 PM   #18
gwpercle

I make it work with a Lyman 55 measure , the design of the Lyman allows you to get a deep narrow cavity and this is one trick to getting Unique consistent.
The other tip ...is an old fashioned scoop. You can scoop Unique and get extremely consistent charges .
Scoop or Lyman 55 you have to practice and develop a consistent technique...
A consistent technique is the other secrete .

Gary