The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 1, 2018, 03:00 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Should I buy a Ruger American Predator?

They seem to be on sale at a few places for ~$370, I guess because hunting season is right around the corner, and I've had a .308 in the back of my mind for years. Currently have a single shot in .308, but have been wanting a bolt rifle or one of the S&W M&P AR-10's.

I'm not deer hunting with it, just would like a .308 rifle.

Ruger makes a version that uses their rotary magazines or AICS. I like the idea of the AICS as they hold up to 10 rounds, would make it a potential budget scout rifle.

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

The rotary mag Predator is $359, while the AICS Predator is $399 at Grabagun.com

For $40 more, is the AICS worth it?

Last edited by TruthTellers; September 1, 2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old September 1, 2018, 03:09 PM   #2
DaleA

I really DO like all things Ruger and would never tell you NOT to get one but for economy (read cheap) and accuracy the Savage rifles are doing very well too.

I bow out to anyone having experience with the Ruger Predator as, full disclosure I own neither the Predator or a Savage, although I have handled both.

Some actually good advice I could give is wait for someone like Kraigwy to chime in, I believe he has a Ruger Predator in 6.5 that he really likes. Or one of the other rifle experts. (Do a search on Kraigwy and PREDATOR to find some of his posts.)

Last edited by DaleA; September 1, 2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old September 1, 2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I have 2 of the Ruger rimfire predators. One in 22lr, one in 17hmr. My shooting partner has all 3 of the rimfires (22lr, 22mag & 17hmr). He also has one in 308.

Neither of us could be happier with ANY of those guns.

BIG thumbs up
Old September 1, 2018, 03:32 PM   #4
PatientWolf

If is didn’t already have a .308, this one would be high on my list.
Old September 1, 2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Wendyj

I have had one in a 308. I traded it off for a milspec last year but nothing bad to say about it for something to shoot. I noticed at the bench that least impact left or right the cheap stock will contact the barrel on one side or the other making flyers. I believe there are aftermarket sticks from Boyds now. I used a dremmel tool and ground my stock down some on either side about 4 inches from the front and stopped my issues. Other than that for the money a very solid shooter and decent trigger when adjusted down.
Old September 1, 2018, 06:40 PM   #6
reynolds357

If you want a rifle to shoot you can't beat it for the price. If you want one to be a looker, buy something else.
Old September 1, 2018, 06:50 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
If you want a rifle to shoot you can't beat it for the price. If you want one to be a looker, buy something else.
Don't care about looks, care more about function. I've held a couple and worked the bolt and the bolts feel cheap, flimsy. I've never liked that aspect of them, but I don't know any other .308 bolt rifles that can hold 10 rounds or more and have the accuracy the American's have and are under $750.
Old September 1, 2018, 07:38 PM   #8
jmr40

I have some "Nice" rifles, some costing 3x what the Predators cost, but none shoot any better than my Predators in 308 and 6.5 CM. I have under $400 in each of mine OTD.

I'd hold out for the version that uses 3,5, and 10 round AI style magazines. I actually like the version sold by Magpul the best. It doesn't protrude far below the stock and comes designed to hold 5 rounds for states where no more than 5 rounds are allowed. But has a tab that can be broken off the bottom of the follower that will allow it to be loaded 6+1.

Mine were just fine out of the box, but if you're having issues with the stock contacting the barrel it is a simple fix to give it a generous free float. If you do that most of them shoot well under MOA.

Winston Churchill
Old September 1, 2018, 08:51 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Update: The rotary mag Predator is $359, while the AICS Predator is $399 at Grabagun.com

Old September 1, 2018, 09:43 PM   #10
ReloadKy

Go for it. I have bought two rugeramericans. One in 243 and one in 308. Both shoot great!! They are not predator models but I think the ruger American are good accurate rifles.
Old September 1, 2018, 11:05 PM   #11
armednfree

Quote:
Yes it is. That rotary mag is the worst.
Old September 2, 2018, 05:29 AM   #12
J.G. Terry

My experience is limited to a standard 308 All American. I would not hesitate to buy or trade for another. Have no problems with the stock or the magazine. Accurate. Currently working up lead bullet loads for the rifle. Like I say, I'd get another without a second thought.
Old September 2, 2018, 08:12 AM   #13
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by armednfree View Post
Yes it is. That rotary mag is the worst.

I have three RARs, two of which are Predators. They are great rifles for the money, but as armednfree said, the rotary magazines are one of the cons to this rifle. AICS mags give you more options and likely better prices. If I could do it all over again, no doubt I would go with AICS models, all three of them.
Old September 2, 2018, 12:08 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

The Ruger American is a slightly more than entry level hunting rifle. If hunting is your only use for any .308, it'll do nicely. That AICS mag is made by PMAG. They have a poor reputation for quality. $40 each for extra's too. Same price for a 4 round rotary mag. Check your local hunting regs too. Lotta places don't allow 10 rounds for hunting.
"...just would like a .308 rifle..." Decide on a budget and primary use first. My only .308 is a semi'd Winchester M-14 with the issue fibreglass stock. I'd use it for hunting in a heart beat if it weren't for the ATF exporting their stupid ideas about 'Once an MG, always an MG.'
Old September 2, 2018, 02:17 PM   #15
Bfglowkey

I own a RAR predator in 6mm Creedmoor. I worked with it in stages as a project.
1. Shot out of the box with a Nikkon Black FX1000 6x24 FFP....shot 3 groups of 4. By 3rd shot string the heat caused stock to full contact. Groups using 108 ELD Hornady factory ammo went from 0.7 to 1.2
2. Opened up barrel channel on factory stock, lightened trigger down to 2.0 lbs with aftermarket spring and set torque on a tion screws to 40 inch lbs. Same ammo, same 4 shot groups...stayed about 0.7 avg. Barrel never touched the stock.
3. Dropped it into a Boyd's AT1 stock. Groups dropped to 0.6 avg.
4. Added Witt machine brake, bedded V blocks with glass and I had best group of 0.4 and 0.5.
5 . In progress with handloads....rifle shoots better then me. Let buddy fire it yesterday and he posted a 0.4 inch group at 200 yards.
They shoot well. And I am pleased with my purchase and the fun I am having tweaking. If you want the best price vs performance though Brownells has 20" heavy barreled action in 308 for 239.....add a Boyd's or the like and you have a really great foundation for a multiple use rifle.
Old September 2, 2018, 04:52 PM   #16
TruthTellers

Quote:
The Ruger American is a slightly more than entry level hunting rifle. If hunting is your only use for any .308, it'll do nicely.
I don't hunt atm, but I plan to get into it in the next few years.

I just want a .308 that can get a second shot off faster than a single shot can. I could go either a bolt action or an AR-10, but I feel the bolt actions will be more accurate, more reliable, simpler design that has less moving parts and will have less repair needs over time.

The big draw to an AR-10 is a .45 Raptor conversion.
Old September 3, 2018, 07:10 AM   #17
Mobuck

If you need a cheap rifle that won't make you cry if it gets wet, muddy, dinged, or a wee bit rusty, by all means the RA is the way to go.
If you won't be happy until it has a nice stock, expensive scope bases and rings, and you feel deep pain if it's not pristine, you probably need to look at something else.
Old September 3, 2018, 10:45 AM   #18
Fnusa

Working as a manufacturing engineer, I can tell you that one thing that makes these rifles so cheap is their quality control. Some of them are really good (for the money) and some are complete junk. I have heard so many stories of these guns going back for repairs. If you buy one do what I did. Ask them to bring out all they have in the caliber you want, inspect all of them, and pick the best one. You won't know how accurate it is until you hit the range. I bought mine in .204 ruger, and after 2 different primers, 2 powders, and 3 different bullets, the best 5 shot group I've gotten is .75 MOA.
Old September 6, 2018, 10:24 AM   #19
jackstrawIII

My experience with the Ruger American:

I bought one in 270 a while back because it was such a smoking deal. Everything worked fine on the gun. Shot well, cycled well, was reasonably sized and weighted. There was literally nothing wrong with it...

But it had no panache. I have a safe full of really nice guns that make me feel all warm and fuzzy when I use them... and so I never used the American. I even tried dressing it up a bit with a laminate stock and some other goodies, but I couldn't get any feels out of it. So I sold it to someone who also has no personality. A great fit haha.

So, if you're looking for the cheapest possible tool to shoot bullets, go for it... but don't overlook pride of ownership. If you're used to higher end guns, it will be hard to get a rise out of the American.

Ps. If the person who bought it from me is reading this, I'm just kidding. You're great.