The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2018, 07:05 PM   #1
heavybarrel

Another pawnshop 870

Afternoon everyone,

I found an 870 in a pawnshop this week while looking for a home defense shotgun. It is labeled as an Express Magnum, 28" barrel with a vented rib and labeled for 3" use, not that I'll be shooting anything quite that heavy. It's a black matte finish with synthetic stock and forearm, $200 out the door. It's in good mechanical shape and the finish is, well, worn. Not bad but not new. I suspect it has been a truck gun for quite a while. The barrel and action are very clean and operation is smooth. I don't think it was fired often. S/N is D609xxxM. I think this would be a great bird gun and if I ever do that again I'd use it. I'm considering though a pistol grip buttstock and a barrel about 20" if I can find one. It only holds 2 in the tube but it isn't dimpled so I suspect I can increase that count easily. Does anyone have an idea when this might have been made? Doesn't matter really but would be nice to know.

HB

Last edited by heavybarrel; June 24, 2018 at 07:07 PM. Reason: re-wording
Old June 24, 2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Model12Win

Sounds good but I'd MUCH rather look for a used Wingmaster or Police gun for home defense.

For birds and such I think you did good though!
Old June 24, 2018, 08:34 PM   #3
MTT TL

Here is how to date your gun:

http://www.rem870.com/2012/01/19/rem...number-lookup/

28" barrel is a tad long for a HD gun for my tastes. I'd look for an 18" barrel. It will be much easier to use. There is probably a magazine block in the magazine if you want to increase your magazine count simply remove it. Just make sure to comply with whatever hunting regulations are in your area if you use it in the role.
Old June 24, 2018, 09:30 PM   #4
heavybarrel

Thanks for that web site, looks like this one was made September 2002 based on the stamping on the barrel. If I just go by the s/n it would be 1983 and I don't think it is that old. I had not planned to use the 28" barrel for HD, will be finding something hopefully in he 20" area though Midway has several 18's from Remington and Mossberg for the 870, stocks too. I'll probably spend more on these mods than I did buying the gun. I'll keep the long barrel though if I want to go do some wing shooting. I always make a point of things like max available magazine size, no interest in getting written up over something like that. I'll probably go find a second 12 gauge since I'm one of those people who likes to have at least two of everything. Then I can dedicate one to HD and the other to clays or a little hunting.

HB
Old June 25, 2018, 11:13 AM   #5
MTT TL

I'd recommend keeping the stock as original unless you have some issue in shooting it. A recoil pad is a good idea. If the pad makes it too long to shoot decently then an adjustable stock might make more sense.

I'd also recommend some kind of forend with a rail system and attaching a light to it ($25-50 depending upon type). Finally a good sling that is designed with weapon retention in mind. Some people attach a side saddle and this is not a bad idea.

This is about all you need for home defense if the sights are good.
Old June 25, 2018, 12:14 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...pistol grip butt stock..." The pistol grip stocks supposedly give better control.
The 20" smooth bore, rifle sighted, slug barrel is a heavy thing. It's walls are much thicker than a bird barrel. Cost me $189Cdn when I bought the thing years ago. About $100 more if it's in the Remington factory blister pack. It came with the phosphated finish.
Cabela's wants $179.99US for one. They have a selection of pistol grip stocks too. $119.99 for one with a forestock with a daft flashlight rail. $99 for just the butt stock.
Shop around though.
Old June 25, 2018, 05:12 PM   #7
heavybarrel

No place here to shop really. Academy doesn't keep them I'll be damned if I set foot in Dicks again ever. Locals don't seem to keep them. Bass Pro maybe but that's 80 miles away. Scary part is that I live in a busy growing town and should be able to find this stuff. I'll check Midway again. I just like the pistol grip for this kind of shorter barrelled shotgun. On my rifles other than an AR I use the more typical stocks except for a heavy .308.

HB
Old June 28, 2018, 09:32 PM   #8
Combat Weapon System

Check Ebay I've seen 18 inch Remington barrels new for about $100 on there sometimes. I wouldn't go with a mossberg barrel made for the 870. I worked on one a couple weeks ago and the machining of the barrel throat was really rough looking.
Old June 28, 2018, 11:20 PM   #9
bamaranger

18" barrel

At one time, Mossberg (yes, Mossberg) made 18" bead sighted 12 ga barrels for the 870, and sold them affordably. Whether they are still available I cannot advise. I would see them in the big parts supply catalogs like Midway and Graff's.
Old July 4, 2018, 01:18 AM   #10
RMcL

Have the barrel...

,,,professionally shortened.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...p?f=12&t=36237

Mike Orlen does excellent work at very reasonable prices. Frankly, having a vent rib barrel shortened and fitted for remchoke tubes makes a very handy and versatile shotgun. Remington vent ribs are the toughest in the business and make for a great bead on a flat sight flash sight picture, ( o )

Last edited by RMcL; July 4, 2018 at 08:57 PM.