The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2018, 11:52 AM   #76
ferrarif1fan

Over penetration from .380. Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX3gpJ-GAy0
Old September 6, 2018, 06:11 PM   #77
HighValleyRanch

LOL, people think that Paul Herrel is like WIKIPEIDIA of the gun world!
I like him, but he's been wrong on many accounts.
Old September 6, 2018, 07:29 PM   #78
Carmady

Paul Harrell has much more credibility than Wiki. His presentations are not magic tricks, there is no slight of hand, he has nothing to sell, he has no agenda. He tests ammo and comments on his findings. So he's been wrong on occasion, who hasn't? All the people I know who don't make any mistakes have one thing in common, they're dead.
Old September 6, 2018, 09:34 PM   #79
1MoreFord

The most recommended .380 ammo I've seen is loaded with Hornady's XTP bullets. There are several brands to choose from. I have Silvertips, Gold Dots, and XTP's. The XTP's are now my first carry choice with the others as fall back choices.
Old September 7, 2018, 08:26 AM   #80
Cosmodragoon

Paul isn't perfect. However, his presentations are generally fun and informative. I like shooting non-paper targets IRL because they are more fun and do offer physical feedback. The difference is that I'm usually just filling the recycling up with water or rounding up past-date food items. (An old plastic jar of peanut butter is very satisfying with hollow-points in .327 Federal, .357 magnum, or .357 Sig.) That's the extent of my time and resources. Paul's meat targets are the next level, both on fun and on comparing rounds in a complex non-gel medium.
Old September 7, 2018, 08:54 AM   #81
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Paul Harrell has much more credibility than Wiki...he has no agenda.
If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might want to buy!
Old September 7, 2018, 10:08 AM   #82
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might want to buy!
What is his agenda? Other than his fixation on obsolete hunting apparel, he's pretty neutral on stuff.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old September 7, 2018, 10:59 AM   #83
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
What is his agenda? Other than his fixation on obsolete hunting apparel, he's pretty neutral on stuff.
You do realize that people make money off of youtube, don't you?
It's entertainment, and the more subscibers you can reel in, the more the potential for money to come in. There are tons of people making their living off youtube!
Old September 7, 2018, 12:15 PM   #84
Bill DeShivs

HVR is correct.
Harrell's videos appear to be more self-serving than informative.
Old September 7, 2018, 02:00 PM   #85
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
HVR is correct.
Harrell's videos appear to be more self-serving than informative.
Poppycock.
Old September 7, 2018, 03:03 PM   #86
Carmady

Quote:
You do realize that people make money off of youtube, don't you?
Of course he makes some money, he also has a lot of financial expenses and time wrapped up in his videos. He should make money.

If he was "only in it for the money" he'd be pumping out several videos a week and hawking vendors and organizations who give him a cut.

Sell your bridge to Sarah Palin.
Old September 7, 2018, 03:21 PM   #87
HighValleyRanch

I already sold her one.
I knew she was gullible already!!
Looking to sell the bridge a second time.
Old September 7, 2018, 08:59 PM   #88
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I already sold her one.
I knew she was gullible already!!
Looking to sell the bridge a second time.
And use the proceeds to buy a decent hunting jacket.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old September 8, 2018, 02:58 AM   #89
Carl the Floor Walker

It is obvious that this is not the place to go to for a answer to the question of what is the best 380 ammo. HVR prefers to just babble trash about a YouTube reviewer and some poster now wants to take it a step further and comment on his jacket. What next?
Old September 8, 2018, 05:13 AM   #90
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
It is obvious that this is not the place to go to for a answer to the question of what is the best 380 ammo. HVR prefers to just babble trash about a YouTube reviewer and some poster now wants to take it a step further and comment on his jacket. What next?
Carl, don't be diswaged so easily. There is good here.
Old September 8, 2018, 06:35 PM   #91
HighValleyRanch

(Posted here and on my 230 SL thread)
I was finally able to do some chronograph tests result with various .380 ammo out of my Sig 230 SL.
All tests were shot through a Pro Chronograph at 5 feet from the muzzle at 2500 feet elevation around 4 PM and 85 degrees out. To simplify, I shot three to four rounds and the posted is the average of the string.

Precision One Ammo, 90 grain, XTP bullet average 894 fps = 160 ft. # ME
Hornady Custom 90 grain XTP average 958 = 183 ft.# ME

Note: interesting because the Precision One on the “Ammo Quest” .380 wrap up beat out the Hornady Custom.

Buffalobore 100 grain Hardcast +P average 1101 fps = 269 ft.# ME

Winchester 95 grain FMJ (my range ammo) average 907 fps = 174 ft.# ME

ft.# is foot pounds energy calculated using ShooterCalculator.com

I’m using the BB for my walk in the woods mostly for cougar. I know .380 is ridiculous, but I love the little gun and it’s what I’m caring so just around the ranch I need something a little more potent than the standard .380.
The BB felt recoil was like a low range 9mm and the .380 felt very soft.
All loads performed flawlessly except for the second shot in the first string where the Precision One failed to feed one time. I’ve shot a dozen of this round without any problems last week.

Looking up earlier notes of testing .380 through my brother LCP:
Hornady Critical Defense 774 fps
Buffalobore +P 100 grain hardcast average 1043 = 242 ft.# ME
(note that there was only a 60 fps loss between the bigger Sig 230 SL and the Ruger LCP)

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; September 8, 2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old September 10, 2018, 11:32 AM   #92
Cosmodragoon

Quote:

... I’m using the BB for my walk in the woods mostly for cougar. I know .380 is ridiculous, but I love the little gun and it’s what I’m caring so just around the ranch I need something a little more potent than the standard .380.
Thanks for sharing the numbers. I haven't handled a Sig 230 but I like the way it looks. I'm guessing it feels a bit like the Mauser HSc, Walther PP/K, or CZ 50/70; which I think represent a handy size and weight class for the lighter calibers. I hadn't thought of Buffalo Bore because I wasn't sure about running it through old guns.

I don't have much experience with cougars but am I wrong to assume that they aren't much tougher than coyotes? Standard defensive hollow-points in 9mm seem to work just fine on them.
Old September 10, 2018, 06:29 PM   #93
Nickel Plated

I currently carry Hornady American Gunner 90gr XTPs in my Beretta 85. From what I can tell they are exactly the same as the Customs. Same bullet, same weight, same velocity figures on the box. Only difference as far as I can tell is the Customs have a nickel plated brass case, while the American Gunners are plain brass. Why Hornady bothered to make two separate lines of ammo with just a nickel plated case being the difference? *shrug* I guess because reasons.

I would be fine with any of the XTP loadings from the Shooting The Bull tests. Hornady's just happened to be on the shelf when I went ammo shopping. I'm hoping the slightly longer barrel of my Beretta will give those rounds a bit more oomph than what he got from the TCP 738 he was testing. Certainly can't hurt.

Quote:

The question is, how much of that energy actually stays in the bad guy and how much of it just goes flying out the hole in his back?
Old September 10, 2018, 07:25 PM   #94
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
The question is, how much of that energy actually stays in the bad guy and how much of it just goes flying out the hole in his back?
My neighbor ran (literally with her car) into a rather large cougar the other day. She said it looked as large as an African cat!LOL. But I found that they can get up to 200 pounds, and I did see one mounted locally that looked huge, all muscles. So definitely I would want some deep penatration for four legged creatures. There are wild boar around these parts as well, and the occassional black bear.

Not using that HC for SD, but Buffalobore does make some jacketed stuff with similar kinetic energy. Interesing that that 269 foot pounds is higher than the .38 special +P HST micro I've been carrying with confidence in my LCR.

The Winchester FJM is just for range stuff. But I am carrying the FMJ in my .32 seecamp.
The flat nose FMJ .32's are running over 1000 fps @ 71 grains for 158 ft. pounds ME.