The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 12, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Bubba Phett

Glock 20 with Wolff non captured guide rod and spring.

I got a Wolff non captured guide rod and recoil spring for my Glock 20. I guess I did not realize at the time that this would leave an opening in the front of my pistol. My immediate impulse was to just not worry about it but I thought I would check in here and see if anyone had any problems with this set up as far as dirt or other debris getting into the pistol.

I guess if you go non captured this is how it ends up looking?

003.jpg

012.jpg
Old September 13, 2013, 04:31 AM   #2
wpsdlrg

Doesn't matter, as long as it works. I prefer non-captured recoil springs myself, for ease in maintenance and change-out.

Some will argue as to which is "better".....and no doubt someone will be along soon to start an argument on this (people on these forums love to pick fights and argue)....but, I reiterate, it does NOT matter, as long as the combination used works properly.
Old September 13, 2013, 06:06 AM   #3
Bubba Phett

I mostly went non captured because that's what Wolff offers. Historically I have had great luck with their products and I trust them. I did e-mail them with pictures of the guide rod they sent me next to my OEM rod and installed to make sure they didn't send me one that is too short. Waiting to hear back.

As far as captured vs non captured... this is probably nonsense but I really like that with the non captured set up the spring seems to have more force on the slide, wanting to push it further than it can go past its starting position as opposed to a captured rod which seems to be tuned to push the slide back exactly to its starting position. This seems like more assurance that the chambered round will pushed into full battery.

Again, that's probably all BS and truthfully I would have gotten a captured setup if that's what Wolff sold.

I try not to drink too much koolaid and am normally disinclined to mod my Tupperware but since I bought a 10mm to shoot crazy hot loads I felt some slight modification was appropriate. (KKM Barrel on the way).
Old September 13, 2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Bubba Phett

wpsdlrg, I went off on a ramble and forgot to ask.. did you look at the pictures I attached. Does that look right? Or should the guide rod be longer. It seems to cycle properly, I racked it manually like 23423423 times. Waiting to hear back from Wolff before I shoot it.
Old September 13, 2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Bubba Phett

Wolff got ahold of me first thing this morning. After looking at the pictures I sent them they determined this was definitely the wrong guide rod. They are sending me out the correct one with a prepaid envelope to mail the old one back.
Old September 13, 2013, 09:12 AM   #6
CowTowner

Great news and great customer service. Looks like you were right to be skeptical.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy