The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 13, 2001, 11:21 AM   #1
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Rifle rounds where they belong: Handguns!

Hey folks, I'm rather new at this online forum stuff, but explaining the name is a good introduction. I collect (among other things) hand rifles, defined as any handgun chambered for what is normally a rifle round. So far this includes:

1. AMT Automag III (30 carbine)
2. Springfield Armory S.A.S.S. (243 Win)
3. " " " (308 Win)
4. " " " (358 Win)
5. American Derringer Mdl. 8 (7.62x39)
I don't hunt, except soda cans, 2-litres, and paper, but I shore love shootin'! I haven't got a Thompson/Center, but it's on my list. (Those things cost! And my list has, like, 35-40 things I just gotta get. Sigh. Take a number...) So, the A-m-3 is one of my favoritest guns. It is loads of fun to shoot, and ammo's cheap. The single-shots for my 1911 are a little less fun. The 243 shoots tiny little groups, (1-ish inches@100 yds., but only once. Iron sights+luck. 2"-3" is more typical when I shoot stickers on pie-plates.)and recoil is easy. The 308 is less accurate, still haven't found what it likes. Recoil is severe. 20 rounds of 150's and my hand must rest. This one neccessitated a flat mainspring housing with the checkering filed flat, and a beavertail to avoid bleeding. (Ouch!) The 358 is a tackdriver like the 243. Unfortunately, it is a BEAST to shoot. (YOWCH! %@*#!! That HURT! Even through the glove! Bastard machine!) It has been compared to catching the end of a fast-moving bat. I personally am worth about six rounds on a given day. When I tried 10, my wrist ached for two days, a lousy thing when you work with your hands. One of these years when I'm rich, I'm going to Magna-Port that ornery cuss. (That list, again.) The derringer I custom-ordered from A.D.C. It's their 8" bbl. "target" model. It cost way too much, but some sacrifices must be made. (They had to order a reamer just for me, ain't I special?) Ahh, the Joys of Being Single(NOT!) and Gainfully Employed. (Since laid off. Rats! That list, again.) I think it weighs about 25 ounces, and shooting it is like catching a high pop-fly with no glove and your elbow locked. That sumb---h stings something fierce, and none of my friends will shoot it more than twice. It has accumulated the name "The Monster". Accuracy remains to be determined, but I still think I've got the only Pocket Double Rifle there is. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The point of all this is these guns interest me to no end, and I'd like to hear about other types and calibers of hand rifles, along with shooting impressions too.
Particularly, I'm fishing for repeaters and revolvers. That puts the ball in your court, Mr. Public. Tell me about T./C.'s, Savage Strikers, Weatherby CFPs, Anschutz Hornets, X-P 100's, Raging Hornets, B.F.R.s, ad nauseum. Oh by the way, can anyone tell me who could convert a Ruger SP-101 to run on 30 carbine with moon clips and an 8"-10" bbl.? I always think that it's not a stupid idea unless it doesn't work...

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old December 13, 2001, 11:34 AM   #2
Hemicuda

I have a large number of...

rifle caliber barrels for my Contender, and just picked up a Savage Stryker in .260 myself... welcome to the forum!

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old December 13, 2001, 11:40 AM   #3
retiredsgt

rifle rounds where they belong

The T/C is an excellent weapon. I have an older model. Can only use 10" barrels. Have one in .222 Remington, .30 Herrett, 7-30 Waters, and .22 LR. All are excellent shooters. I hand load , so I can fine tune each. I have taken ground hogs out to 150 yds. with the .222, using a Hornady 45 gr. hp. Devasting on pigs. I have used a Sierra 140 gr. hp(single shot pistol bullet) on Whitetail. Again, a great round. I have not done all that much with the .30 Herrett, but it is promising. The .22LR barrell is also quite accurate.
What more can you say??
Old December 13, 2001, 12:24 PM   #4
hksigwalther

Do they still make the SASS? I never got around to getting one (.308) for a spare 1911 frame. I'm getting pretty close to getting a Clerke in .22-250 for that frame now. Have you tried these Clerke conversions?
Old December 13, 2001, 12:30 PM   #5
Shin-Tao

I wish there were more handguns in .223 that were repeaters.
Old December 13, 2001, 12:41 PM   #6
bastiat

Doesn't creating a handgun in a rifle caliber mean the BATF can outlaw AP ammo in that caliber? Or is it only for semi auto pistols in rifle calibers?
Old December 13, 2001, 01:29 PM   #7
johnAK

Anyone knows if savage striker .308 short barrel(10 inch?) is rifle or handgun for the purpose of stupid law of Kali safety test?
if it is considered rifle, it's not subject of safety test, but if it's considered handgun, it requires test, and I don't see it in the list of DOJ, thus cannot buy it if it's considered handgun,
Old December 13, 2001, 02:43 PM   #8
Jeeper

Contenders are great guns. I have around 10 or 12 barrells for mine right now. The best ones are the wildcat calibers. They are fun to load since they are unique.

I also have an RPM XL which is a high end sihlouette gun. They have been dominant in the sihlouette world for a while. They are finely made but more expensive. I have 9 barrells for that one.

Here is a picture of one

Single shot guns are fantastic. They are extremely accurate and can easily do sub MOA at 100.
Old December 13, 2001, 03:19 PM   #9
Onslaught

I have ALWAYS wanted an IAI Lone Eagle!!! The "cannon breach" loading is quite unique, and the overall appearance of the pistol is MUCH more to my liking than the traditional stylings of the Contender. Also, with the round at the rear, you get a 14" barrel in the same space as a 10" of something else. Balance is better too, because you don't have all the weight out front.

Don't know for sure what caliber... I was thinking either .243 or 7.62x39...

CDNN has 'em right now at a GREAT price, but alas, I'm not financially fluid enough to buy one.
Old December 13, 2001, 09:21 PM   #10
bismark

Contenders are great guns, I deer hunt with one with a 7-30 Waters barrel and a 4X Nikon scope, great combo! I also really like Remington XP100's.
Old December 14, 2001, 12:26 AM   #11
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Looks like the S.A.S.S is out of production, as Springfield doesn't list them on their sight, and I bought mine mail-order. Bummer! I thought that the S.A.S.S. was one of the "best buys" in the industry. The base kit with one barrel was $169, with additional barrels at $99 each. This was half the price of a Contender, which is why I don't have one. A'course, now we can't buy them new in our state, nor Strikers either. Such an enlightened place I chose to be born in. Used to be Springfield sold S.A.S.S. kits as a complete pistol, saw one at the store when I bought my 1911. Wonder what happened? The Clerke Xtender seems to be gone, also. And I haven't even SEEN a Pachmayr Dominator. What, didn't they sell? Hmmmm.

On a side note, how do you get a .458 Win. Mag. to feed through an XP-100? I thought that it was based on the M600 action. Aren't 6.5 and .350 Rem. Mag.s short-action cartridges? Maybe a sillhouette shooter can enlighten me.

Note: I might be the Hand Rifle Guy, but 500 grn. solids out of a non-ported handgun in a nylon stock at magnum velocities just gives me the Willies. (Not Slick Willies!).45-70 in a Contender seems to make more sense, but I've never shot one.

Thanks for all the good stories, I'd like to see some more. Keep 'em coming!

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old December 14, 2001, 01:31 AM   #12
swsurgeon

Onslaught,

I have the Lone Eagle in 308. It is incredibly accurate and the balance is terrific. Unfortunately, the excellent balance means that you get a lot of muzzle rise (no heavy weight way out in front). A compensated barrel might be helpful----mine isn't. Despite the significant muzzle rise, the overall recoil isn't that bad. Less than a 7.5" 454 Freedom Arms and way less that a 4 7/8" Reeder 500 Linebaugh.
Old December 14, 2001, 09:09 AM   #13
jmlv

Just for the Record on contenders

ANY contender frame no matter how old will accept ANY contender barrel no matter what the length.
Also since you really like the rifle calibers I would suggest you look into the Encore pistol instead of the contender. It handles all the rifle rounds even upto and including 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag. (althrough these are custom options you won't be the first)
MOLON LABE!
Old December 16, 2001, 02:05 AM   #14
sinecure

I have several Contender frames [most blued, one in Armaloy] and a bunch of barrels in everything from .22LR to 45-70. What a fun gun to shoot!

My favorite varmint bbl is the 14" .223. Favorite longish-range pig-gun is the .35 Remington. and the all-time fun plinker is, of course, the .22LR.

The 45-70 is a real uncomfortable sucker to shoot. Like somebody whacking you HARD across the palm with a 2x2. I have a friend who is as "recoil-proof" as anybody I've ever seen. He can shoot an entire cylinderfull from his Casull rapid-fire and not flinch, but he can't take the 45-70 Contender!
Old December 16, 2001, 04:54 AM   #15
Jim March

You need a Taurus Raging Hornet in .22Hornet .

Eight shots, DA, and I would guess it'll eat from the same speedloaders as the Taurus 608?

Then there's the .45-70 revolvers, especially the Magnum Research BFR (or more accurately, BFG ).

Stop screwin' around with them single shots! That ain't no fun!