The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 23, 2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Blindstitch

Need taller Marlin sight.

Where do I find a taller Marlin sight for a Marlin 983s 22 mag.

It comes stock with this plastic orange sight.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/655...ProductFinding

It measures .28 of an inch tall. It has been grouping 3 inches high at 25 yards on the lowest rear sight setting.

Are there universal dovetail replacements that are common or am I looking in the wrong places to find one?
Old June 23, 2014, 06:39 PM   #2
LeverGunFan

Try contacting Williams Gun Sight Company, they make front sights in a variety of sizes and also have spacers to raise the sight. This link:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/rifle1.htm

lists a sight set for Marlin rifles:

Item #70742 - Marlin 925, 925M, 60Blue, 915Y Blue, 983T, 981T, 795 Blue $29.95

Since you want a taller front sight, I suggest that you call them (800-530-9028) and ask for a recommendation for a front sight that will allow you to zero in at 25 yards.
Old June 23, 2014, 09:04 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

A POI shift of 3" at 25 yards requires a front sight 0.063" taller than the current blade. (Assuming 19" sight radius.)

Factory sights are .375" tall by .375" wide. (You measure to the bottom of the dovetail.)
However... almost no one makes an aftermarket sight that's .375" wide. So, the best options are to A) make due with a .340" wide sight, or B) file down a .531" wide sight.

And, since .438" is a strange height, you may need to skip the bead sight and just file down a standard blade, if you plan to sight in at longer ranges. For 25 yard work, a .450" would probably be just fine.

Williams offers a brass beaded sight in .450" tall x .340" wide.
And if the length would work, there's also a fire sight with the same height and width.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; June 23, 2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old June 24, 2014, 05:15 AM   #4
Blindstitch

I'll get some better measurements tomorrow but it's on a marlin screw on riser and I bet it's only 1/4th inch wide. If all I need is .06 then it shouldn't be hard to get the height I need. Found one that's .357 on ebay and filing the bead down to a blade sight is a great idea.
Old June 24, 2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Blindstitch

Got some better measurements. To bad I also learn out one pair of my calipers has a skip in it and giving incorrect measurements over .35.

So with a good pair the sight is .28 tall overall. .18 above the dovetail. The dovetail slot on the rifle is .295 max but the orange sight itself is .24.

The widest longwise of the dovetail measured .365.
Old June 24, 2014, 08:08 PM   #6
LeverGunFan

If I'm reading your message correctly, you have a .250 inch wide front sight with a height (bottom of dovetail to top of blade) of .280 inch. FrankenMauser calculated a sight height correction of .063 inch, assuming the distance from the front sight to the rear sight of 19 inches, for a new height of .343 inches. My Williams catalog shows that they do have a sight with a .343 inch height. That would get you close to center on the target, but with the rear sight at the lowest setting. If you go the next higher sight (.375 inch) you might run out of adjustment of the rear sight at longer ranges. What ranges do you intend to shoot at?
Old June 24, 2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Blindstitch

I intend to zero for 100 yards with the intent of not shooting over that unless there's a good reason. One ballistics chart I looked at suggested a 25 yard zero would be similar to 1 inch low at 100 yards.

I just won a sight on ebay .43 tall blued. I intend to strip it and polish it so it matches my stainless barrel. If it's to tall I can take and make it shorter. I don't feel so right about having zero elevation on the rear sight adjuster so this should bring it up a step or two.

Best part was it was only $5 shipped.
Old June 25, 2014, 12:28 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So with a good pair the sight is .28 tall overall. .18 above the dovetail. The dovetail slot on the rifle is .295 max but the orange sight itself is .24.

The widest longwise of the dovetail measured .365.
That's crazy. I've never seen such a short front sight on a Marlin. I've only seen .340"+, with most being .375".

I'm glad you found something that'll work for you.
With a little bit of patience at the range, you should be able to get that dialed in perfectly by taking just a little off at a time.
Old June 25, 2014, 05:19 AM   #9
Blindstitch

Yeah I thought it was funny to. I figured maybe there was an option for a rear sight to add a shorter or taller one but I couldn't find any that were shorter to swap on
Old June 27, 2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Blindstitch

Went to the range today and magically the ebay sight showed up 20 minutes before leaving. Wasn't an exact fit so I had to file it a bit. The new sight with the rear bottomed out shot 6 inches low. With the rear sight raised up it was 4 inches low.

That's .053 of a movement on the rear sight so I guess I'll be filing some which is fine.

Since FrankenMauser seems to be right on I'll be filing the sight down to .35.

Then if that doesn't work I'll know where to go. Of course my dad said he wouldn't even waste his time fixing it and throw a scope on it so that might also happen eventually but with see through rings.

I can't complain since I was home one easter and asked to borrow a 22lr and he said I have a 22 mag in the box under my bed with original paperwork and never been shot you can have. So if I spend $10 on this free rifle I have no problems.

Thanks guys.