The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 20, 2014, 08:39 PM   #1
littlephil

How many of you

Can thread barrels on a lathe? I'm getting ready to buy a barrel for my k.kale turk mauser and want more than 3 options for the caliber. I thought I was set on 6.5x55, but now I'm not sure again. So I just had the bright idea to ask you fine folks if you'd be interested in helping a fellow gun enthusiast (nut) out. I've heard of quite a few people using take off rem 700 barrels for turk mauser builds by just turning the threads down to sr mauser threads. So my question is, would anyone be willing to help me out? I'd need you to find a barrel, if you don't have one laying around, rethread it, then ship it to me if you're not close enough for me to pick it up. Just let me know if any of you are interested and if so, what you'd charge me to do this. I realize I can get a barrel from midway for $88 or so pre threaded and chambered, I would just much rather help out someone who doesn't already make millions a year. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:06 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's no challenge to thread a barrel to a receiver (I just did a Douglas yesterday for a Rem 700 action) but it must be properly headspaced.

The Rem 700 barrel shank is 1 1/16" in diameter. The large ring Mauser is 1.1" and if the Turkish Mauser is a small ring, that's only 1" diameter. If it indeed smaller, it is possible.
Old June 21, 2014, 09:32 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Littlephil has a large receiver ring and a small shank barrel .980 x 12.

Then Littlephil will need a reamer or he will be required to measure from the 'C' ring to the bolt face, and there will be the matter of the length of the shank.

F. Guffey
Old June 21, 2014, 11:23 AM   #4
littlephil

Guffey is correct on the barrel shank. I'm assuming that the shank length could be turned down on a lathe to be .003 longer than the measurement from the receiver face to the c-ring. That's what I've heard the correct shank length should be. I've found several barrels on ebay from $20-60 so I seem to have a few more options now as long as someone can help me.
Old June 21, 2014, 05:44 PM   #5
Clark

Here is a video of me cutting barrel threads, twice, in two minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-JhnjgtxQw
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 21, 2014, 06:29 PM   #6
littlephil

That's a nice setup you've got there Clark. If I had the money I'd buy a lathe and learn to use it, but that's why I've gotta ask for help on this one. Thanks for sharing the video.