The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 5, 2013, 12:50 PM   #1
haliwa04

Scope Mounting S&W(Howa)1500

I recently picked up a Smith and Wesson(Made in Japan) 1500 in 30-06 for deer season. I'm looking for suggestions on base and rings. The scope i've picked out is a Simmons 8 point 3-9x, and it's a toss up between the 40 and 50mm objective lens. This is kind of a short notice setup for deer season, and i've got about 2.5-3 weeks left to get sighted in before recreational shooting ceases on the property. Like I said, i'm just looking for suggesions, especially if you've had the same setup, be it the Howa, Smith, or Weatherby version of the 1500. I've read that it interchanges with the Remington 700 of the same action, so you guys can chime in too, so long as it was long action. Thanks.
Old September 5, 2013, 08:44 PM   #2
jmr40

Any 700 mounts will work with a long action. Short actions are a little different. I wouldn't waste my money on a 50mm scope, especially a budget 50mm scope.

You can do a lot better than a Simmons scope. The absolute cheapest new scope I'd consider is the Nikon Prostaff. You might find something used for less. If you can find a way to move up to a $200 scope there are lots of good options at that price point. The Burris FF-II or Redfield Revolution would be my top picks, but there are other good ones. Much below that and you will be buying something else soon.
Old September 5, 2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Polinese

I agree on the scope but sometimes you gotta work with what you got.

As far as rings and bases I really like Warne rings myself, good rings that aren't overly expensive. Are they as good as say seekins or Badger Ordnance no but I've yet to have a problem with them.

Edit: I don't mean to knock your scope choice, no idea what kind of budget you are under but I would def try to pick up something better than that... I had a simmons on a rimfire and it was ok for that, not sure I'd trust one on a center fire though. If you can swing it I love the weaver K series for a budget scope. I have one on my trunk rifle and it bounces around in there and stays true everytime I pull it out and fire off a few rounds (it's a 308).

You'd have to price it but you might be able to do like a weaver k series and a DNZ mount (which is what my weaver is in) for a lil over 200. Would probably serve you for quite a while, certainly for your first deer season.
Old September 5, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4
lefteye

If your vision is good you will be disappointed with a scope costing $50-$100. If that is the best can afford at this time, then go for it. The quality of rifle scopes, binoculars and spotting scope corresponds with the price. Generally, the higher the manufacturer's suggested retail price - the higher the quality of optics. The quality range is enormous - a few dollars up to a few thousand dollars. (I wish I could afford the best but, so far, I have settled for Leupold Vari-X III for a few rifles.)
Old September 5, 2013, 09:22 PM   #5
reynolds357

Tally integral base and ring mounts are my new favorites.
http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/c...egory_recnum=6
Old September 5, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6
haliwa04

Re: Scope Mounting S&W(Howa)1500

I actually have a Nikon prostaff on my 10-22, but like the Simmons a bit better. That's the scope I want. This isn't my first deer season, nor my first gun. This is the exact reason I usually refrain from the firing line forum. I asked about bases and rings, and get "that scopes no good". Well, I like it, I have 20/20 vision, have looked through $20 scopes and $1,000 scopes. If I'm going to drop one from a treestand, I prefer it be a $35 scope that's marked down from $60, which I've hit some pretty good shots on guns with more recoil than 30-06. We took one off my friends 10-22 and mounted it on his 7mm mag, because I had the very same doubt's about it handling recoil. 15 rounds later, still zeroed, the sky didn't fall, fish didn't fly, and the sea didn't turn to fire. There was just one big hole in the target I was shooting. Now, when spring comes around and we start shooting long range for ****s and giggles, suggest something that's going to get me shooting 1000yard .5moa groups. For now, what's a decent combo of rings and bases for around $35-45.

Last edited by haliwa04; September 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:56 AM   #7
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
Tally integral base and ring mounts are my new favorites.
http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/c...egory_recnum=6
And thank you, I like the looks of that mount. And they have them for my gun.
Old September 6, 2013, 07:32 AM   #8
upstate81

I use Leupold rings and mounts on my rifles. They are rock solid never had one single problem in many years of extensive usage. I for one dont blame you on your scope choice one bit. Get what works and fits your needs.
Old September 6, 2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Nothing against other suggestions, but I've used Weaver bases and rings for over sixty years with zero problems of any sort. From '06s on down.

I found that a 1997-vintage Simmons 44 Mag was quite good on my '06. I know that I put over 200 rounds through the rifle in load testing and sight-in as well as hunting.

I've never seen a need for a 50mm scope in my own hunting. 3x9x40 has always been plenty good for most hunting. Heck, a Weaver K-4 or equivalent is plenty good, really, since my variables are usually set on the lowest power when actually hunting. Field of view is a primary factor.
Old September 6, 2013, 08:26 AM   #10
AllenJ

I put Weaver Grand Slam rings and bases on my Vanguard S2 and on my sons 700. My gun is a 243 Winchester, my son's is a 7mm Rem Mag. We have shot hundreds of rounds through these rifles since and have not had any issues.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:35 AM   #11
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman View Post
Nothing against other suggestions, but I've used Weaver bases and rings for over sixty years with zero problems of any sort. From '06s on down.

I found that a 1997-vintage Simmons 44 Mag was quite good on my '06. I know that I put over 200 rounds through the rifle in load testing and sight-in as well as hunting.

I've never seen a need for a 50mm scope in my own hunting. 3x9x40 has always been plenty good for most hunting. Heck, a Weaver K-4 or equivalent is plenty good, really, since my variables are usually set on the lowest power when actually hunting. Field of view is a primary factor.
The reason behind the 50mm would be to gather more light. Where I hunt, there isn't much open sun areas. The pond specifically is surrounded by big thick hardwoods, and I'll primarily be hunting early morning and the end of the evening.
I've seen Bushnell banner scopes in wally world for around $70 and the trophy xlt for around $100. How do these compare to the Simmons? My high range would be around $150 and I've seen Vortex Crossfire II and the Sightron I Hunter new for around that price.

I'm liking the looks of the Talley lightweights. But I'm also considering Warne bases with Weaver rings. The pair I've got on my 10/22 are meant for center fire rifles and they feel like they have plenty of meat to hold on tight.
Old September 6, 2013, 10:54 AM   #12
csmsss

I have no problem with 50mm objectives; however, given your limited budget it is better to go with a smaller objective/better glass than a larger objective/inferior glass.
Old September 6, 2013, 11:10 AM   #13
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsss View Post
I have no problem with 50mm objectives; however, given your limited budget it is better to go with a smaller objective/better glass than a larger objective/inferior glass.
I actually haven't seen a correlation between obj lense size and price. I'm digging through the open box list at opticplanet.com as well.
Old September 7, 2013, 07:00 PM   #14
2ndtimer

I agree with the others regarding the Simmons 8 Point scope. Try to find something better. Here are two options available for around $100 + shipping that would be far better, IMO.:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...C4E&src=mbProd
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...E94562&src=sim

Either of these would be far superior to the Simmons 8 point. The Nitrex should have better optics as it is made in Japan and is optically similar to the Weaver Grand Slam scope line.
The Weaver 44/40 is similar to the old Simmons Aetec scope line and offers a 44 mm objective lense and is manufactured in the Phillipines. You should be able to get either one for around $112 shipped.
Old September 7, 2013, 07:52 PM   #15
reynolds357

If you can stand $200, the following is an awesome scope for the money. Its actually an awesome scope for a lot more money.

http://www.samplelist.com/Minox-3-9x...-B-P63100.aspx

Minox glass is awesome. I bought 2 ZA scopes a few months ago. My father is an old, set in his ways, Leupold snob, I dont mean low end Leupolds either. He bougt a Minox about 10 minutes after looking through mine at low light.
Old September 7, 2013, 10:27 PM   #16
jrhilde

scopes / rings--

You will all get a laugh out of this--- few months back I landed a job with Academy Sports here in the south and was required to take a series of computer classes on guns, scopes, scope mounting and quality---now I will not for even a minute argue a point with many of you who are much more experienced than I however, I agree with the extensive scope quality and power training in the course and totally agree that a scope in the $150 to $250 range will work just fine for 98% of us--I have a $230 Prostaff 3-9x40 on my 700 in 30-06 and a $160 Bushnell Trophy, 3-9x40 on my .22--this is the second Prostaff and 5th Bushnell--these both work perfectly, clear, don't fog up, ok to use in low light and the Prostaff is easily up to the recoil---

Now then, my combination on all my 700's and Vanguards has been the weaver bases with the Burris rings with the nylon inserts, gentle on the scope surfaces, hold like crazy and compensate for a slight bit of mis-alignment of the rings although I doubt that the Burris rings have any mis-alignment--

I'm not real crazy about Simmons either because I've seen a fair amount of bad ones, but my lower end Bushnells don't get much praise either but have worked great for me on .22's, .22 Hornet and my .204's-----
Old September 8, 2013, 08:53 AM   #17
oldscot3

+1 on the weaver Grand Slam bases becsuse I just love solid steel for bank vault like durability.
Old September 8, 2013, 09:10 PM   #18
jaysouth

Call Weatherby and ask if their lightweight Vanguard bases will work on your gun. I think they are made by Talley and absolutely top notch.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:11 AM   #19
csmsss

Quote:
I actually haven't seen a correlation between obj lense size and price. I'm digging through the open box list at opticplanet.com as well.
That's just it - there are few direct comparisons. But there are lots of lower-priced scopes out there with 50mm objectives which *promise* all kinds of performance but in reality don't do as well as better quality scopes with 42mm objectives.

Not sure if I'm beating a dead horse here, but IMHO you are better off buying a scope with a smaller objective and better glass than a scope with a larger objective and crappier glass.
Old September 9, 2013, 02:25 PM   #20
steveNChunter

I bought a .243 for my wife a few years back with one of those "horrid" Simmons 8-point 3-9x32's mounted on it. I always said I would replace it whenever I noticed it wasn't holding zero or some other problem arose. Well, I'm still waiting for it to fail. So I won't knock your scope choice if that's what you want.

I have pretty much the same rifle as you, a Howa 1500 in .25-06. I've got a two piece Weaver base and steel Weaver low rings holding a Burris FFII 3-9x40. The good ole cheap Weaver stuff has never let me down, so I continue to proudly use them, even if they are sold at Wal-Mart

As for 40 vs 50mm scopes, I have never noticed enough of a difference in brightness in low light conditions to see the advantage of a 50mm, and higher rings must be used with a 50mm, so that's another reason IMO to use a 40mm. You get a little larger field of view with a 50 but I never thought it to be worth it. But everybody has their preferences. Use what you like and don't worry about what the $1000+ scope crowd says.
Old September 10, 2013, 02:52 PM   #21
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChunter View Post
I bought a .243 for my wife a few years back with one of those "horrid" Simmons 8-point 3-9x32's mounted on it. I always said I would replace it whenever I noticed it wasn't holding zero or some other problem arose. Well, I'm still waiting for it to fail. So I won't knock your scope choice if that's what you want.

I have pretty much the same rifle as you, a Howa 1500 in .25-06. I've got a two piece Weaver base and steel Weaver low rings holding a Burris FFII 3-9x40. The good ole cheap Weaver stuff has never let me down, so I continue to proudly use them, even if they are sold at Wal-Mart

As for 40 vs 50mm scopes, I have never noticed enough of a difference in brightness in low light conditions to see the advantage of a 50mm, and higher rings must be used with a 50mm, so that's another reason IMO to use a 40mm. You get a little larger field of view with a 50 but I never thought it to be worth it. But everybody has their preferences. Use what you like and don't worry about what the $1000+ scope crowd says.
Well after a couple deals fell through for cheaper scopes at cut throat prices, I petitioned for an increase in budget. The treasurer gladly approved a higher tier of optics. Sooo, now I'm debating and shopping between a Sightron SI Hunter 3-9x40, Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 with nikoplex reticle, Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40/50 and a used Burris Full field II 3-9x40. Any insight into any of these models would be great, especially if you currently own one or have owned one.
Old September 10, 2013, 04:06 PM   #22
jrhilde

I have the Nikon Prostaff on my 700 in 06, a 3-9x40 with the small circles at the 100 yard graduations and it has been a flawless scope--very clear precise field of view, totally reliable and laughs at the recoil---bought it new from the local shop about three years ago for $230---this is the one mounted on the Weaver bases in the Burris rings with the nylon inserts--it's sighted in at 100 but very easy to use at 200 -- couldn't use a big bore for deer in this state but no limitations on what was allowed for varmints, go figure---

So I've got to say go with the prostaff, this is the second one I've owned and they are tough and dependable without breaking the bank----
Old September 10, 2013, 04:38 PM   #23
steveNChunter

Quote:
Burris Full field II 3-9x40
I own one and IMO it's the brightest, and all around best scope in it's price range and slightly above its price range. The Fullfield E1 is pretty much the same scope as a FFII except it has a magnification adjustment knob instead of the whole eyepeice turning like on the FFII. If you use flip-up scope covers (I don't) this is a big deal.

If you go with Vortex, I would spend a few more dollars and get the Diamondback instead of the Crossfire. The Crossfire is the only China-made scope in Vortex's lineup, so there's a sizable difference in quality between it and the rest of Vortex's scopes.

The Nikon Prostaff is a decent scope, and while I've never had the pleasure of looking through a Sightron scope, I hear nothing but positive things about them.
Old September 10, 2013, 04:41 PM   #24
jrhilde

Heres a couple of shots of what it looks like--notice relatively close to the barrel and in the close-ups, you can see the nylon inserts--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30-06 with Nikon Prostaff- 001.jpg (241.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 30-06 with Nikon Prostaff- 003.jpg (247.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 30-06 with Nikon Prostaff- 002.jpg (260.4 KB, 38 views)
Old September 10, 2013, 04:55 PM   #25
jrhilde

i realize that any gun company can have problems--Remington has had it's share of bad press lately, but this is the seventh 700 I've owned and the one I'll keep [ the brown laminated with the new style factory recoil pad ], I'm older now and wiser and have finally learned to say no to the guys that want to buy my guns, about time, I've sold too many nice guns-----

Maybe I've just been lucky but all my 700's were accurate and none had to go back to Remington for any reason---but then I don't hunt a lot and I tend to baby my guns -- they don't get used hard or tossed around----

Tags
optic , scope , scope base