The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1
ljaycox

O/U case

I would like to be able to transport my skeet O/U to the range on my motorcyle.
If I can carry it can carry in two soft cases: barrels/forearm in one, reciever section in the other it will fit in the trunk.
I have hard cases that I can use with it broken down, but it is not short or flexibel enough to get into the MC trunk.
Does anyone know if there are a set of decent soft cases available that would carry the pieces seperately?
Thanks
Old November 29, 2009, 05:57 PM   #2
BigJimP

Sure, there are a number of cases that you can make work for you .... but not one specifically designed to do that.

But check Cabellas, etc - they all have a number of soft sided cases that you can make work.

You could ask your wife, girlfriend, etc to make up something for you / out of fleece - maybe double the thickness - and drop the variious pieces in and tie them shut ( just put a drawstring tie on the end ). Its something you probably won't use, except on the motorcycle anyway.

I used to carry mine on a Honda Goldwing once in a while / and you could also just wrap it in blankets in the trunk / whatever fits into your trunk space. I also carried mine in a hard case ( typical Browning hard side breakdown case ) / inside a large zipper anvas bag - and bungy wrapped it to a chrome luggage rack on top of my truck on the bike as well. Lots of ways to do this.

Last edited by BigJimP; November 29, 2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old November 29, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
mwar410

i have one from llbean. I use it when I don't want to haul the nasco around. mines a large could have gone smaller. it holds 28" barrels and stock easily.
Old November 29, 2009, 08:04 PM   #4
zippy13

I have a Bob Allen take-down case designed for an auto with two barrels. It's heavily padded and has served me well. Unfortunately it's no longer listed in their catalog. I also have a collection of attractively priced Ace Case pistol rugs and tactical rifle cases. Ace has break-down shotgun cases in fabric ($25.90) and nylon ($29.40).

Like most take down-cases, the Ace is 10 x 36-inches which is a little long for most O/Us. If I recall correctly, in the past, they were willing to cut it to size if ordered directly.