The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2008, 12:19 AM   #1
jdscholer

Ithaca 200E gift from buddy

During the Memorial Day weekend we have an informal shooting match in which my friend, John, loaned me a sweet little 20 gauge sxs. It fit me like a glove, which doesn't happen to me very often. I shot it well, but realized that it was the kind of treat that I would probably never get for myself. I'm too tight, and pretty much satisfied with the Remington pumps that I own. Anyway, when we were all done, I cleaned it up and took it back to him. He floored me by saying "You just keep it. I never use it, and you shoot it pretty good."
He wouldn't take no for an answer, and my feelings went full circle from wierd disbelief, to all choked up. I finally have setteled down to happy kid with new toy.
As mentioned above, it's an Ithaca 200E, 20 ga. with 28" barrels mod & full. Like new, I mean not a scratch. The wood is nice, just bairly fancy grain. Blued receiver not bright as I have since seen on some. Made by SKB in Japan.
I've bounced around on-line, and learned a little about it, but not much. I would love to hear from anyone with same, or experience with one.
jd
Old July 4, 2008, 02:56 PM   #2
jentb737

ITHACA made by SKB Shotguns

ALL of the ITHACA/SKB side by side and overunder shotguns are are very very good shotguns. Sooner are later the trigger will stop working. It will be easy to fix. One of the roll pins in the frame holding the trigger group has drifted to the side and needs to be pushed back. A simple repair. You will need a deep 10 mm socket to remove the butt stock to get to the trigger assembly. You have been given a very very nice shotgun. jentb737
Old July 5, 2008, 12:05 PM   #3
jdscholer

Hey, thanx for the reply/advice concerning my Ithaca. It's been awhile since I started this thread, and I was beginning to feel like a step child.
If the problem you mentioned happens to my gun, I'll know more about it and won't freak out too bad. For now, we're due for a trip to the patterning board, and maybe a little experimenting with a recoil pad.
If only the quail around here knew what lurks in their future.
Old July 5, 2008, 03:44 PM   #4
bswiv

What 737 said about the Ithaca/SKB quality. Got a old 20ga O/U with the stock cut back so it fits my wife. Don't know how many rounds through it at skeet and informal targets off a thrower. Do pay attention to what he said about the trigger. The only thing ever to go bad on this one was a spring in that kept it from firing one barrel. Easy fix...........
Old July 5, 2008, 05:54 PM   #5
skeeter1

You are one very lucky man

Quote:
"ALL of the ITHACA/SKB side by side and overunder shotguns are are very very good shotguns."
I have two Ithaca/SKBs from the late 1970s, a model 100 and a model 200E. The 200E is my pride and joy, and probably the finest in my collection. It sits in the safe, and only comes out on special occasions. IMHO, there is no better shotgun. Mine are both 12-gauge, but I'm sure the 20 is every bit as good.

You have one very nice friend there!
Old July 6, 2008, 03:38 PM   #6
jdscholer

Yes I am a lucky man, and it would take an all night campfire for me to tell ya what a good friend he has been to me for many years now.
Any ideas on just what years these guns were made? My serial # is S6200XXX. It looks kind of 70ish to me, although by it's condition it could have rolled off the line last week. A kid I used to hunt with back in the 70's, purchased (with help from his dad) a Winchester 101 over/under that was the envy of all us less fortunate. As I recall, it was made in Japan, and was a very nice gun. Maybe SKB? It and my gun have the high gloss stock finish that was pretty common on new guns of that time. Not my favorite finish but I'm not gonna whine about it, believe me.
I'm gonna try the Limbsaver slip-on pad on my grandsons singleshot, and if I'm OK with the length I'll buy the real thing and install it.
We all grew up shooting 20 ga., and it's kinda cool getting back to it, but they really don't kick much if any less than the twelves.
I really appreciate talkin to anyone thats inclined. jd
Old July 6, 2008, 05:32 PM   #7
skeeter1

Quote:
"Any ideas on just what years these guns were made?"
If it's marked "Ithaca/SKB", it's from the 1970's, when Ithaca was importing them from Japan and re-branding them. Later on, SKB sold the 200 and 400 independently. They no longer import SxS doubles, only O/Us. The SKB is about as fine a shotgun as any you're likely to find. Barrels black-chrome on the outside, hard-chrome on the inside. Fine walnut stocks. They don't get much better.
Old July 6, 2008, 07:30 PM   #8
Brenden

My first shotgun was a Model 100,20 gauge,modified/Imp Cyl.(1972)

What a great grouse gun!!

It will be passed down to my kids..

You received a very nice gift!!
JPFO
Old July 6, 2008, 08:16 PM   #9
roy reali

Please!

If you ever get tired of his friendship, please introduce me to him!
Old July 6, 2008, 10:11 PM   #10
jdscholer

Care to explain "black chrome"? I'm not familiar with it. It looks like a nice satin blue job. The unfinished metal in unexposed areas of the receiver and barrel breach areas, as well as at the muzzle, are bright. Kind of looks like stainless to me. Is that possible? jd
Old July 7, 2008, 11:16 PM   #11
jentb737

ITHACA/SKB Barrel Finish

The ITHACA/SKB over and unders and side by sides made in Japan for Ithaca have BLACK CHROME PLATING on the outside of the barrels. This is a very tough finish. It is probably the most user friendly finish ever put on a shotgun from the factory. The ITHACA over and unders that had this finish were the Models 500, 600, 700 and probably a few others that I have forgotten about. The ITHACA side by sides that had this barrel finish were the Models 100, 200 and 280 and probably a few others that I have forgotten about. Good Shooting To You, jentb737.
Old July 8, 2008, 08:34 AM   #12
jdscholer

Thanx for the info, now you've got me even moe interested in this finish. Gonna have to do a search.