The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 16, 2005, 01:46 PM   #1
pointfiveoh

Broken operating handle on a rem 742

Well I had it bind and was trying to work it free when the operating handle just broke off. I found a replacement part and the retaining pin, I just need to know how to fix it or if it's a gunsmith only type affair.
Old October 16, 2005, 07:48 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Drive the pin out top to bottom. The remains of the old handle should just fall out; if not, turn the bolt on its side and bump it.

Insert the new bolt handle, drive the pin back in. Put the bolt back in. That's all.

Jim
Old October 18, 2005, 07:41 PM   #3
pointfiveoh

Thanks Jim, now for the part where I'm an idiot. The reason the handle is broken is because the bolt stuck open while I was sighting it in. I got overzealous and tried to force it. I'd have no problem with replacing the handle now that I've been told how, but I can't get to it because the action is open. Any ideas on that one?
Old October 20, 2005, 03:32 PM   #4
pointfiveoh

Just a quick bump to see if anyone knows how I should approach this problem. The action is stuck open so I cannot get to the retaining pin. Any ideas on how to get the action to close so I can fix the handle would be very appreciated.
Old October 25, 2005, 04:16 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Got me. IIRC, the only thing that holds the bolt open is the magazine follower, and when the magazine is removed or the bolt release pushed to lower the follower, the bolt closes. (The bolt release is part of the magazine; nothing in the gun holds the bolt back, AFAIK.)

The only thing I can think of is to remove the trigger group (drift out the two pins) and see if you can determine what is holding the bolt back.

Jim
Old October 27, 2005, 04:41 AM   #6
pointfiveoh

It looks like the bolt is moving side to side on it's path and it bit into the right side of the rails it moves on. It also looks like the ejector port cover is getting wedged in back there. I got it closed but I'm not sure it won't just get hung up again.
Old October 27, 2005, 07:09 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Quite a few owners of those guns took out that port cover and threw a pass to the trash can.

Jim
Old October 28, 2005, 11:01 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

If you put a ramrod down the bore (1/4" cold rolled steel rod from the hardware should do) can you depress the bolt to the rear any further? If so, you can push the magazine follower down out of the way at the same time, then let up slowly on the rod until the bolt passes over top of the follower (assuming this loosens it).

Nick