The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

What is a good way to begin gunsmithing?

I've always been fascinated at the workings and functions of a good firearm. I like to take them apart and put them back together. I've never done any real modifications, and I would like to get started. What would be a good way to begin learning gunsmithing? I don't plan on making this my main career, however, I plan to check with the school I'm attending to see if they have a Basic machining course. Any help and advice on what I can do now would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old June 16, 2014, 01:37 PM   #2
g.willikers

If you are lucky enough to be able to learn how to use machining tools at your school, that would definitely be a big help.
The lathe, milling, drill press, heat treating, welding and the like would be a great way to start.
Learning how guns work would be a must, also.
Thanks to all the info on the web, it's a lot easier than it used to be.
Disassembly videos of the various makes and models are a real help, as are books, especially if your local library has them.
Just figuring out what all the parts are and what they do, from exploded parts views, can give a good idea.
There's plenty of them in the manufacturers downloadable owners' manuals and parts supplier web sites.
Old June 16, 2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Mosin-Marauder

My papaws machine shop has a lathe, drill press, several welding carts, and a lot of other stuff I don't know what.
I have a basic understanding of how a Bolt action rifle works. Magazine is loaded, bolt is cycled, putting a cartridge in the chamber ready to fire, (I'm a bit fuzzy on this next part) trigger is pulled, releasing the sear that is holding the firing pin back, the firing pin strikes the primer and ignites the powder charge, the gasses and explosion of the powder charge propels then projectile out the barrel (whilst the rifling put a spin on it to stabilize it). I'm sure I left out something, though. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check with my library and look on the Internet a bit.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old June 16, 2014, 05:19 PM   #4
g.willikers

Here's a bunch of informative articles and videos on how many types of firearms work:
http://www2.huntercourse.com/florida...apter=2&page=9
Old June 16, 2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Doyle

Start with a GOOD machine shop class. In order to do anything with modifying guns you'll need a basic understanding of metalurgy, reading calipers/micrometers, working with lathes/grinders/drill presses etc. A good machine shop class will give you a foundation to build on.
Old June 16, 2014, 06:23 PM   #6
YARDDOG(1)

Good Luck to you,, Good Gunsmiths are getting harder to find ; )
Y/D
Old June 16, 2014, 08:19 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Agree that you should enroll in a junior college and take a year of machining. You'll learn to sharpen cutting bits for your lathe and drill bits. You'll learn how to operate the lathe and a mill too.

Then enroll in the NRA Summer Gunsmithing Program. I took some classes at Lassen but went full through the two year program at Trinidad. It's not cheap though so save up your ducats.
Old June 16, 2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Roughedge

What part of NC do you live?
Old June 16, 2014, 08:31 PM   #9
Mosin-Marauder

Little hicktown in Alexander County, Hiddenite.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old June 16, 2014, 10:12 PM   #10
Clark

I spoke with an attorney today that earlier today worked for 4 hours. He will get $4,000 for that.
This particular man cannot learn parallel from series in his electric train, no matter how much I show him. But he is good at Scrabble.

A gunsmith died in September 2013. I spoke with him many times and he was fast on the uptake to learn electronics and machining. He paid taxes on less than $30k/year and worked long hours.

What does it all mean?
Gunsmithing is something best done as a hobby, with a day job to pay the bills.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 16, 2014, 11:24 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gunsmiths don't necessarily have business sense. Unless you work for somebody else, as an independent you have to have a good business sense to make your work profitable. Everyone wants stuff at a discount or free. A customer may want to talk for hours and those are hours that you don't do any real work.

I know gunsmiths who don't have a storefront and are backlogged for years in their work. They don't advertise either and it's by word of mouth. They are that good.
Old June 17, 2014, 01:06 AM   #12
Slopemeno

Clark- I think you nailed it.
Old June 17, 2014, 07:04 AM   #13
psalm7

Most of the old school Gunsmiths I knew when I was working in a Gunshop grew up shooting and cleanining firearms and just started repairing them . I Gunsmithed for several years before I had a family to care for and didnt need a lot of $$ . I still do it as a hobby but have worked for a Corparation in managment and operations for the past 22 years if you are going to make a living you have to get out of your comfort zone and take on the resposibility and stress . The world we live in today is not small bussiness friendly when you figure in expence and regulation .
Old June 17, 2014, 07:22 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Buy a dremel....

Oh wait, that is not the way to start.
Old June 18, 2014, 09:33 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

A good place to start would be with a search of this and some other sites for "gunsmithing" or "gunsmith advice". You can probably think of other search criteria, but I guarantee you will have lots to think about.

Jim
Old June 18, 2014, 09:48 PM   #16
psalm7

A good place to start skill wise is get a book or books with diagrams or break downs of popular firearms and start taking apart and assembleing them . I used to get handed all the tuff repair jobs like nylon 66's or agrivating jobs like replacing H&R / New England transfer bars . It was fun and at the time paid ok I think I will start a small shop as part of my retirement plan one of these years .
Old June 19, 2014, 04:24 PM   #17
mulefour

Montgomery Community College in Troy N.C. has a 2yr gunsmithing program.
Old June 20, 2014, 08:16 PM   #18
Bart B.

Trinidad State Junior College, Trinidad, Colorado

http://www.trinidadstate.edu/academi...ms/gunsmithing

Learn what's done to make guns shoot accurate by competitive shooting and getting good info from the match winners and record setters. Be very wary of everyone else.
Old June 21, 2014, 02:00 PM   #19
Have gun-will travel

I don't know what part of NC you are in but Piedmont Community College in Roxboro ,NC has one of the best Gunsmithing schools in the country
Old June 29, 2014, 08:10 AM   #20
Kimio

If I had more time, I'd go and try to take classes at Trinidad or what have you. Best I'll likely be able to do is go to a local machining and welding class near my base, I have a feeling a lot of what I'll be doing will be self taught and learned by watching others and reading books.
Old June 29, 2014, 10:19 AM   #21
Nathan

IMHO, the profitable way to gunsmith would be to have a shooting range that sells guns and have a gunsmith to send work. Then develop your skills on your guns. Have them checked out by your gunsmith. If they check out, sell them in your store as custom touched by you.

As your skill develops, start picking and choosing jobs that come through the shop. As you get better, there will be a desire for you to do the work or build full house customs.

The key is doing work you CAN do when it comes to doing work for others. Learning is done on your guns. Money is made through the other facets of the business.
Old June 30, 2014, 11:23 AM   #22
Docjc

Passion plus knowledge equalls sucsess.

Your question and the numerous responses prompted me to post. I am the Director of Gunsmithing at Piedmont Technical College in Greenwood SC. I have been in the firearm and gunsmithing field for many years, taught business classes and would be glad to answer any questions you have. My e-mail is: [email protected]
Old July 3, 2014, 11:13 AM   #23
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Kimio,

If you can't go to a school, but can receive machinist training, then I would recommend one of two correspondence courses. The first is Penn Foster, but they do not require much actual on-hands work, but the material is the same as the old North American Gun School, and is quite thorough. The next is Modern Gun School, which does require actual hands-on work to be done in stock making, etc. These two are the only two that I recommend.

http://www.moderngunrepair.com/courses/advanced/

http://www.pennfoster.edu/programs-a...career-diploma

Also, the AGI gunsmithing course videos are very good, especially the ones done by Bob Dunlap. The only problem I've found on these, is that Bob gets the history off a little on a few guns, but the part about the gun functioning is superb. Of course, you're wanting to work on guns, not be a historian.