The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

View Poll Results: Do you own at least one select fire weapon?
Yes 34 43.04%
No 45 56.96%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29, 2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Firepower!

Where are all the select fire macho men?

Folks,
To be honest with you I am some what disappointed to see the lack of interest here with respect to the select fire weapons. I see lot of good threads but very few generate any response. Whats up?

Lets put out the laundry list of the select fire weapons we own to show our presence at TFL.

Are you game for this?
Old May 29, 2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

1. Men aren't the only owners. Having select fire isn't macho.
2. Select fire guns are very expensive to own and operate.
Old May 29, 2008, 07:47 AM   #3
P99AS9

I own a selective fire IMI Uzi. I pretty much never use it because it's way to expensive to shoot, which is why I'm considering buying a .22lr conversion kit for it. I got it in 1987 for $3000.
Old May 29, 2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Musketeer

Quote:
2. Select fire guns are very expensive to own and operate.
Simply put the 86 ban has placed them beyond the means of the average shooter. Local laws are also an issue.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old May 29, 2008, 07:54 AM   #5
P99AS9

Quote:
Simply put the 86 ban has placed them beyond the means of the average shooter. Local laws are also an issue.
If I can remember correctly when I got my Uzi, I had to have my state senators signature. You also have to pay the government $200. I had to read over and sign like 100 papers.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Musketeer

The paperwork is a hassle but any NY resident with a pistol permit is used to that.

The $100 - $200 is a pain but doable for most.

Have you seen the prices though on available (pre 86) full auto arms out there...

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old May 29, 2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Firepower!

While I admitt that the prices might be very high for some folks, it nevertheless does not mean that there arent people who collect them.

Talking expensive is relative since I pay over 5000 US$ just for Glock in Pakistan. There are other guns which are way more expensive than that. And where is the cost of ammo is concerned, well you dont even want to know!

I spend lots of moeny building my collection. And yes there is lots of paper work when it comes to select fire weapons. Even then I collect them fire them and enjoy them because they are not only my need but my passion as well!
Old May 29, 2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Sarge

The fact that a lot of us have been exposed to them through LE or Military service, may take the 'cool factor' down a few notches. I like them and enjoy shooting them as long as somebody else is supplying the ammo; but I personally have no desire to shell out money or jump bureaucratic hoops, just to relive my misspent youth. I'd be far more likely to spend disposable income on a heavy hunting revolver, a pocket pistol or a nice bird gun. But that's just me.

I am thankful that those willing to spend money/jump hoops can still enjoy that freedom, if they choose. Rock on brothers- be careful & have fun.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Talking expensive is relative since I pay over 5000 US$ just for Glock in Pakistan. There are other guns which are way more expensive than that. And where is the cost of ammo is concerned, well you dont even want to know!
Okay, so you are rich or make bad economic decisions. Big deal. Most people on the forum are not rich and can't afford those kinds of decisions.

If you are paying $5K for a Glock in Pakistan, then why not check some of the rich Pakistani gun boards for select fire people?
Old May 29, 2008, 01:32 PM   #10
SR420

If I ever buy a select fire weapon it will be an AC-556 in a SCAR-CQB stock.
I think this one looks nice pictured with my Crazy Horse MK14 SEI MOD 0

Old May 29, 2008, 06:30 PM   #11
Crosshair

If I could afford one, I would own one. The 86 ban has really screwed the people over. The full auto gun I want most? A select fire 10/22. The trigger packs are going for $8000 or more now.
Old May 29, 2008, 07:04 PM   #12
PTK

$9k from Norell.... *sigh*
Old May 29, 2008, 08:00 PM   #13
MeekAndMild

oops, double tap
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:02 PM   #14
MeekAndMild

Macho men? You've got to be kidding. Most of the subgun owners I know are accountant/school principal/storekeeper types. Once you actually jump through the hoops to get a select fire gun you'll see just how dull as dirt that little lever really is.

BTW Sarge is right, its more fun if Uncle Sam is paying for your ammo.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:22 PM   #15
hoytinak

You mean yall can actually take yours out and shoot it? I've been thinking hard bout taking mine out this weekend or filling up the gas tank in my truck. It comes outta the safe maybe once a month.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:43 PM   #16
David Hineline

I have machineguns

I have machineguns cause I like to blow stuff up.

As for the hunting fudds I can afford to pay a profesional to kill and prepare tasty animals for me so I have more time to dedicate to blowing stuff up.
Old May 30, 2008, 02:58 AM   #17
Firepower!

P99as9

Hey man, you voted No while you stated you have a select fire UZI. Whats up?
Old May 30, 2008, 08:48 AM   #18
P99AS9

Quote:
Hey man, you voted No while you stated you have a select fire UZI. Whats up?
Ahhhh, damn I did? Oh, must of been acident.
Old May 30, 2008, 02:35 PM   #19
Rant Casey

It depends on what you consider owning, I've recently purchased a MAC 10, currently awaiting atf approval before i pick it up and then a colt sp-1 fa PRE 86 conversion with a 10.5 barrel is coming late june. If it weren't for the registry being closed I'd be up to my ears in FA weapons, but as it is now, the mac is running me 3700 and the colt is over 15k. I can buy quite a few good rifles for 15k . That's probably why you're not seeing that many people chiming in. Not a lot of people are going to burn through tens of thousands of dollars on weapons they can hardly afford to shoot. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what's your line of profession that you can afford to spend 5000 dollars on a glock? I'm doing well financially, but I honestly cannot fathom swimming in enough money to spend 5000 dollars on ANY handgun, especially a 500 dollar glock. Whatever you do for work, need a partner?

Last edited by Rant Casey; May 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old May 30, 2008, 03:07 PM   #20
Hkmp5sd

Got three......

HK MP5SD

Colt M16A1

Cobray M11/9
Old May 30, 2008, 03:48 PM   #21
Firepower!

By education I am lawyer, but profession I am living semi retired life. I use to be a heavy real estate player, still am.

Like I mentioned before guns are my passion.

Here is my partial list:
Ak 47 (15)
M4 (3)
G3 (3)
MP5 (3)
Ak 74 (6)
Aksu74 (2)
M16 (9)
A few auto pistols

Pk (4) and DShk(2) on way
Bunch others with one item per weapon.
Old May 30, 2008, 04:25 PM   #22
vostracker

full auto

Played/used several during my LE days. Growing up with "Combat" and Sgt Rock comic's and carrying my Mattel "Tommygun", I always dreamed of having a real "Tommygun". Fulfilled my dreams and got a Auto Ord 1928A1 Thompson born in 1940's. Sometimes its nice to fulfill a dream even if its not practical or cost effective.
Old May 30, 2008, 08:38 PM   #23
MeekAndMild

Quote:
Here is my partial list:
Aha! I knew it, a true hobbyist! You sound more like a collector than a stereotyped 'macho man'. C'mon, admit it though if you're able to invest in this sort of hardware you must be more interested in the mystique of collecting than in being some sort of Rambo.

Let me ask you one question, aren't they better to look at than to shoot?
Old May 31, 2008, 12:12 AM   #24
Firepower!

MeekandMild... They are so much fun to shoot!

Yes i am a collector not rambo. They are good to look at but looking at them entices me to empty out a few mags almost everyday.

I mean you have got to agree that select fire is so much more fun to shoot.
Old May 31, 2008, 07:53 AM   #25
cue7467

firepower!----

I need a new father care to adopt?????