The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2005, 01:51 PM   #1
Chrism

Why clean brass?

I am a new member here, though I have read through hundreds of previous posts to find an answer to this question.

I reload only for my Ruger revolvers .38/.357 and .44spl/.44mag. I have an a-la-cart Lee set-up, based upon the new Lee Classic Cast. Great equipment in my opinion, though I have been reloading for only about a year. And I have not yet reloaded any rifle cases.

Anyway, on pg. 71 of the Lee reloading manual, you will find the following: "If cases are excessively clean, some of the brass will rub off on the carbide. The dirt, soot, and oil on the case keep the case from galling the carbide." In other words, Mr. Lee is suggesting that if you want to save yourself some time and money, not to mention damage to your resizing die, do NOT clean your cases.

So my question is why clean cases if, through all that work and investment in equipment, you will also then need to lubricate your cleaned brass? Is cleaning brass only for looks or does someone out there know - especially when using Lee carbide dies - why should such investment of time and money be put into brass cleaning.
Old February 27, 2005, 03:06 PM   #2
Bama

I don't suppose he means squeaky clean. I resize my brass, then clean it. Clean brass is easier to inspect for cracks and other defects.

Now, don't think that I'll resize brass that has picked up dirt or grit or some such nastiness, I don't want to ruin my dies. But brass that has been transferred from the cylinder to the box for the return trip home is grit free, and won't hurt the dies.
Old February 27, 2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Tim R

I have RCBS carbides and some other match rifle dies. Sorry but I clean my brass of dirt and grit before sizing so they won't damage the dies. I think you will find a higher number of reloaders clean their brass before sizing.

I can see clean brass leaving some brass behind in a Lee carbide.....they are very rough compaired to the RCBS carbides.
Old February 27, 2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I agree very much with TIM R

I prefure RCBS and also clean everything before sizing. One other thing is he trying to help you when Lee says that or hoping your damage them so he can sell more carbide dies. All I can add is that clean brass when reloading shows me that the person that is doing the reloading does professional work, I want my reloads to look and function as good as new.
Rifle brass I clean, size (With lube) clean again and finish reloading.
Old February 27, 2005, 05:16 PM   #5
bikenjam

well, i tried going the route of not cleaning brass to save time and i ruined a sizing die becuase of it. i now at least tumble all my brass
Old February 27, 2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Jeeper

I would suspect that the Lee manual would be talking about rifle stuff that hasnt been on the ground. THe fine powder residue wont hurt the dies. Dirt and sand will. I always lube everything I load even if it is through a carbide die. You dont need to but it makes it sooooo much easier to size. The lube also protects the dies from brass rubing off.
Old February 27, 2005, 07:34 PM   #7
smokin54

I always clean my brass before I size , I also give the basket full a quick spray of one shot case lube , It makes thing go smoother . I then clean primer pockets and then throw them back it the tumbler for a few minutes to get the lube off and the grit from the primer pockets
Old February 28, 2005, 01:42 AM   #8
cuate

Why clean the Brass

I am lazy, I don't clean the brass before reloading. I do inspect it for flaws, case length, trim if necessary and clean the primer pockets before repriming. Rather slovenly but they shoot well,
Old February 28, 2005, 02:53 AM   #9
Paul Fitz Jones

Cleaning brass prolongs progressive reloader life

On a Star and other reloaders dirt falling off a case and dirt sized off a dirty case can create a wear pattern under where the cartridge case slides that in time can wear on the primer, punch and bushing, interfering with accurate primer seating in the cases and the wear pattern at that area is the major factor in wearing out some progressive reloaders.

There are differing qualities of a reloader carbide reloading sizing die. I have never had a problem with a Lifetyme carbide sizing die and I have sold thousand of reloaders with them. Loading GI .45acp cases that are thicker causes more resistance on the operation handle and a "Q" Tip dipped in some automotive STP and wiped in the die can dramatically reduce operating handle resistance as needed.
Police Firearms Instructor