The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 2, 2020, 10:13 AM   #1
Prof Young

Do deer eat soybeans?

So with the opening day of archery season, by best ground blind is on the edge of a soy bean field that is about three weeks away from the harvest. I'll go sit a day and do more research but thought I'd ask here . . .

Do deer eat soy beans?

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old October 2, 2020, 10:21 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Of course. GIYF.

https://www.qdma.com/food-plot-speci...file-soybeans/
Old October 2, 2020, 11:42 AM   #3
Pahoo

Sure do !!!

Quote:
So with the opening day of archery season, by best ground blind is on the edge of a soy bean field that is about three weeks away from the harvest.
They sure do and there is a added benefit as deer like traveling along the edges and right under your stand .......

Be Safe !!!
Old October 2, 2020, 11:46 AM   #4
buddyd157

i once had a deer over for dinner.

it ate everything but the dessert we had.....Chocolate moose
Old October 2, 2020, 12:23 PM   #5
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyd157 View Post
i once had a deer over for dinner.

it ate everything but the dessert we had.....Chocolate moose
Was that chocolate molded into the shape of a moose or moose-flesh flavored with chocolate?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old October 2, 2020, 05:30 PM   #6
buddyd157

all i know is, that ain't the right spelling for the moose....(the dessert)...lol..

shoulda been, mousse...

but i cannot spell french words......lol.
Old October 2, 2020, 05:38 PM   #7
bamaranger

OH YEAH!

Deer love soybeans! You can probably start in the evening hunting right over the beans, just be wise with the wind. After a few hunts you may find that backing off the field and hunting the access trails a good tactic. Often their is a staging area where the deer stall, before entering the field at dusk. I've seen them come out of bedding cover into open woods, then lay back down and wait for dark, before entering the field.

There are beans in one of the areas I hunt this year, and I am looking forward to my hunts at that locale. I can't hunt the fields, but the draws and ridges leading to same are legal. I always see deer around beans, often, many deer.
Old October 2, 2020, 06:54 PM   #8
603Country

If you are an edge hunter, as I was for many years, the edge of a soybean field is the place to be. And after the beans are cut, it’s still a good place to hunt, since there will be beans on the ground.
Old October 2, 2020, 07:15 PM   #9
Doyle

Like Oprah on a chocolate bar.
Old October 3, 2020, 12:02 PM   #10
Prof Young

Thanks!

Thanks for the info an the laughs. Looks like I'll hunt this week. Will let you know how it goes.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old October 3, 2020, 01:23 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

Bambi, his mother and all their relatives love soy beans. So much so that they can be a gigantic pest for soy bean farmers. It's not just the beans though. It's the whole plant.
Old October 4, 2020, 12:22 PM   #12
buck460XVR

While deer like soybeans, they are generally after the green foliage and the still green tender bean. Once the beans turn and are ready for harvest, deer are not that interested, especially if there are falling acorns near-by. This is why many food plot mixes contain what is called "forage-type" which produce longer stems and foliage and do so for a longer time than the "grain-type" beans most farmers use. I plant soybeans in august with the idea they will never "mature". The idea is so that when the Ag soybean fields around me start to dry and "turn", the deer will come to the tender greens they prefer instead.

Since deer are browsers, once they develop a pattern of going to an Ag soybean field, they may continue to go there even after the beans turn and are no longer their preferred food source. The only way to tell if they are still using the area is to hunt it or put a camera on it.