The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 17, 2020, 04:09 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

waiting on my CZ 527

I bought a 527 on Gunbroker a few days ago. While waiting for it to come I have been reading posts about them and watching a few videos.

In this video at the 4 minute mark you see the reviewer state that he can't close the bolt unless he uses a special technique while pushing it shut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ctBg29UIU

Is this a common issue with the 527? Something that needs broken in?
Old September 17, 2020, 04:31 PM   #2
Scorch

Never seen the problem before, never experienced while shooting. However, yes, the bolt can bind if you push at an upwards angle like he is doing. That's because the bolt is so short and the rear action bridge is so short. Other rifles have had the same or similar issues, namely the post-64 Model 70s and Remington 722/721/700s, the bolt can bind if you push at a strange angle. Biggest thing is don't fight the gun. The bolt travels easliy, don't try to manhandle it. He's grabbing it like it's a shovel or something. I use 2 fingers when operating the bolt on my 223 and 7.62X39 rifles. Pull the bolt back with two fingers under the bolt handle, slide it forward with two fingers behind/on top of the bolt handle. Don't try to horse it or fight it, just push gently and the bolt will slide just fine. I get people in my shop all the time that come in and complain about how this gun or that gun doesn't work right. Most of the time it's operator error. Just can't tell people.

Last edited by Scorch; September 17, 2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old September 17, 2020, 04:33 PM   #3
98 220 swift

mine in 223 doesn't do that. but it does not feed the smoothest. it did get better after break in. still love the little rifle though.
Old September 17, 2020, 07:22 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

My 527 American in .221 Rem Fireball is just about the smoothest bolt action I have ever fired. It is slick, and smooth. The trigger is so good I rarely even use the set feature.
Old September 20, 2020, 08:45 AM   #5
RKG

I have never experienced that problem with my 527, which I've had for several years.

I did have a stock split at the tang, as have a few others. Sent the rifle to CZ in Kansas City. Came back two weeks later with a new, beautiful stock, in which the action was fully glass bedded.

I shoot only brass-cased reloads. Some brass-cased factory loads will show light primer strikes, which is because the 527's CIP chamber has a slightly longer headspaces than a SAAMI chamber. However, fireforming new brass and then neck sizing eliminates the issue altogether.
Old October 1, 2020, 07:51 AM   #6
P-990

I've never had the issue shown in the video with my 527FS in .223 Remington. It doesn't feed the smoothest in the world, but the bolt has never NOT moved when I've been cycling it. Sometimes I do push the back of the bolt with my thumb to get it moving forward, especially when the magazine has 4 or 5 rounds in it. It does seem to feed better with only 2 or 3 rounds in the stick.

Other than that little quibble, it's a fantastic little rifle. Looks great, shoots very well for a lightweight, full-stocked rifle, and is just generally a joy to use. I might have to hit the range with it later today after writing all of that.
Old November 9, 2020, 04:41 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

finally got to shoot my 527!! The scope I ordered for it took a month to get here. Optics Planet must be way behind on shipping.

Anyway, I did have a few issues with the bolt and feeding. I am sure things will smooth out as it breaks in.

I'm pretty impressed with the accuracy of this rifle considering that I am shooting Golden Tiger steel cased ammo. I got right about 2 MOA which is pretty good considering the ammo.
Old November 10, 2020, 11:50 PM   #8
roscoe

Mine in 5.56 is the most accurate rifle I own, easily. The set-trigger really helps.
Old November 13, 2020, 07:38 PM   #9
jackstrawIII

The secret with the 527 actions is to work them quickly. No babying the action. Just ram it home.

Love the little 527s!
Old November 14, 2020, 08:05 AM   #10
plr

The bolt on my 223 Varmint MTR 527 was finicky to say the least, but not as bad as in the above video. Disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith... but it appears to me it's because of excess slop when the bolt is all the way back. So when you use the handle, it tends to shift the front of the bolt slightly down, which than makes it harder to ram home. Using my thumb, and pushing the bolt straight forward, there was never a problem.I agree with P-990 that a full mag seems to exasperate the problem.

I also found this video which I tried...and after about four attempts at adjusting the extractor, it is actually much better. It doesn't have nearly the same wiggle room anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pmu-51tLPU
Old November 14, 2020, 01:23 PM   #11
Pond, James Pond

I’m jealous.

That’s all I’m gonna say....
Old December 10, 2020, 10:52 AM   #12
wizrd

See, that's why I love this place, I can come here and learn about a new rifle I just got, - before I even get to sight it in. Action functions well running a few zoom caps thru it, found this in a LGS just a week ago - been kind of a 'holy grail' search of mine for a while. It was in the 'used' rack - but seems to be unfired. I couldn't even find any 'black' from under the extractor, - bolt face shows no wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0706 (1).JPG (155.8 KB, 32 views)
Old December 10, 2020, 07:07 PM   #13
10-96

Wizrd, beautiful rifle man! I don't think I'd want a full stock, but I like the looks of other folks'. Nice wood on there!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 10, 2020, 07:49 PM   #14
wizrd

The LS - or long stock (Mannlicher stock) is hard to find, didn't sell real well in the U.S. - and they stopped imports of them in 2018.
Old December 11, 2020, 11:46 AM   #15
thallub

Quote:
In this video at the 4 minute mark you see the reviewer state that he can't close the bolt unless he uses a special technique while pushing it shut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ctBg29UIU
IMO: Problem is with the operator.

i've bought a left hand CZ 527 when they first came out. Also scoped and sighted in about ten other CZ 527 rifles, all right handers. Never encountered such a problem.